• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Solar/Inverter/Battery Build Thread - Delta 262RB

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Soon, I will take delivery of my Delta 262RB. Then the journey begins to tweak it to get the most out of the platform for us. One of those tweaks will be some LiFeP04 power, recharged by shore, solar, alternator and portable generator. Using that battery power, I will be able to power the coach through an Inverter when desired. The build will be documented on this thread. Most images will be hosted on my Smugmug account and linked here and I will likely create a Youtube video on the installation.

More to come :)

OUR CAMPING STYLE
We are not boondockers per se, though from time to time, we do use Harvest Host locations and we do find ourselves camping for a night or two in the driveway of friends. We travel with dogs, so we stop for an extended lunch break every travel day and we like to use what we want and be comfortable during these stops.

OFF-GRID SYSTEM GOALS
(rest breaks on travel days - moochdocking - Harvest Host or other boondocking locations)
  • Have the ability to use either of the 2 air conditioners that we need, based on the circumstance
  • Have the ability to power all AC power using appliances and devices (though not all at once)
  • Have the ability to power and use the TV and related entertainment gear
UPS SYSTEM GOALS
  • Have all my communications, entertainment, home automation and video surveillance gear powered 24/7 and without interruption by powering as much directly (not inverted) via DC power as possible
MAIN COMPONENTS
  • SmartPlug 50A Shore Power Inlet (will replace OEM twist-lock inlet)
  • 30A Twist-Lock Shore Power Inlet at Pinbox (for use when connected to single-phase power sources)
  • Progressive Industries 50A Hardwired Electrical Management System (EMS) with Remote Display
  • Victron Quattro 12/3000/2x120 Inverter/Charger
  • Victron MPPT Solar Charge Controller
  • Victron DC-DC Charger
  • Rich Solar 200W/24v Solar Panels
  • Big Beard 305 aH LiFePO4 Batteries
  • WEN Dual Fuel Inverter-style Portable Generator (plan to plumb into RV propane system)
AC DESIGN / INSTALL PLAN
  • Replace original twist-lock 50A power inlet with a SmartPlug 50A power inlet
  • Install 30A power twist-lock power inlet to the back of RV. Will be for a portable generator that will be stored and on a rack using the 2" receiver
  • Install EMS on shore input ahead of inverter
  • Install various circuit protection devices (AC disconnects) as needed
  • Install inverter/charger
DC DESIGN / INSTALL PLAN
  • Install, bus, fuse and switch batteries
  • Install Victron Lynx Distributor for DC busing
  • Install Victron Smart Shunt VE.Can for battery monitoring
  • Install BlueSea 600A HD Battery Switches after battery busing and ahead of Inverter
  • Install various circuit protection items (breakers, fuses)
  • Install Victron Orion DC-DC Charger (30A/12V) for alternator charging from tow vehicle (Jeep Wagoneer)
  • Install 6 ea Rich Solar 200W / 24V Solar Panels all in series
  • Install Victron Smart MPPT Solar Charge Controller

INSTALLATION

EXPERIENCE / RESULTS
  • Travel Days

• Boondocking / Moochdocking

• Power Outages

Last edited:

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Not your first rodeo, as they say. I will watch this thread, for sure.

Interested in what it takes to run an AC via inverter for a reasonable length of time.
Hi Mike. First, it takes an inverter that can handle the load. Then it takes as much battery as your budget can handle in order to extend your run time.

But the real answer is derivable using the current draw and the usable battery capacity plus any other AC and DC loads expected at that time.

stevez

I'm also very interested in hearing your experience with this build. I am seriously considering the 262RB and would be building out a battery/solar/inverter system that is right along the lines of what you have spec'd here. I do a fair amount of boondocking so I want to a system that will power the 12v fridge for up to 7 days with mixed sun/shade. My understanding is that the fridge alone can draw over 100amps per day if it's hot out. I would obviously forgo AC during those extended periods, but it would also be good to be able to turn it on when off grid for shorter periods as you mention.

I'm planning on purchasing an F150 Hybrid with the 7.2 generator so I was also thinking about the 30 amp shore connection, but would want it positioned up near the hitch to get it as close to the truck as possible. In addition to using it in camp if the batteries run low, I understand you can also use the F150 generator to charge the batteries while on the road if you need more of a recharge than DC-DC will allow based on drivetime.

Would you mind explaining why you are opting for a 24v solar configuration as opposed to staying at 12v?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @stevez - thanks for your interest in my plan. First, let me say that while I don't have the 262 in my hands just yet, it's going to be an awesome 'smaller' couples coach. I say this as I had a competitor brand of the same floor plan for 2 years and traveled the US and Canada with is. Had a blast. I also had a power system in/on it. What I will be doing in the Delta will be quite similar with minor variations.

I love your plan for the F150 Hybrid and the truck to trailer charging. Easy peasy to put an 30A shore power inlet on the a-frame. Then get (or make) a 15' cord-set with a 30A twist-lock to 30A whatever the truck receptacle has. In your case, I'd say, no other gen-set needed.

As for my choice of the 24v panels, I plan to wire 6 of them in series to keep the DC voltage high. Then it will be fed into the MPPT that will be configured to output the proper charge profile for my 12v LiFeP04 battery chemistry.

As for your refer comment, I have yet to get my coach, so I can't confirm your math on a day's worth of DC power for it. There are other variables of course.

All this said, my new coach was born on 27-Sep and completed a couple says later. It has a few surprises on it and I plan to put more surprises in it when I get it :)

I hope you end up with a Delta. It will be fun to compare notes and imod plans with other Delta owners.

dstrait70

Watching this thread with keen interest! I took delivery of my 262RB a month ago and have one boondocking trip under my belt. My wife and I are newbies, this is our first RV.

I did a lot of reading about systems and came to the conclusion that I don’t know enough about my RV power needs and the cargo weight impacts of systems of varying sizes. @stevez I am towing with the F150 Hybrid Powerboost truck.

In the meantime, I decided to buy an ECOFLOW Delta Pro along with a Delta Pro extra battery to see how things would go on our first trip. The ECOFLOW battery provides 3600W of power and the extra battery adds additional 3600W. My plan was to run the trailer at bedtime using the Delta Pro battery system and then during the day with the Ford Pro Power Onboard generator.

I was able to run the bedroom AC all night with the Delta Pro batteries. Honestly, I was so overwhelmed figuring out everything else about how to run an RV and setting up camp, etc. that I wasn’t able to collect the data I needed to do runtime calculations. That will come in future trips.

So far I have learned that the Ford Pro Power 7.2kw generator will run the entire 262RB including both AC units at the same time. It can also charge the Delta Pro batteries to 100% in a couple hours. It’s a really nice generator. The engine kicks on from time to time and runs for a few minutes to charge the hybrid battery and then turns off.

The ECOFLOW batteries are not cheap, although they have been on sale recently, but they include the inverter and a battery management system in one package. I still like the idea of a permanent system like you have laid out here @Jim Beletti, so I will stay tuned!

stevez

@dstrait70 Great to hear that the F150 onboard generator worked so well to power the trailer. How did the truck do towing the trailer? Plenty of power? Also, knowing the type of terrain would help give context - flats?, hills?, mountains?, elevation?, etc? Lastly, did you happen to track your MPG?

dstrait70

@stevez Keep in mind, this is the first time I have towed ANYTHING. Not even a small Uhaul. I pulled out if the RV dealer lot in Richmond VA and hopped right onto 95. I immediately started white knuckling because I felt like the trailer was driving me instead of me driving the trailer. After a phone call with a friend who has towed all his life and some traffic that gave me time to dig through screens to find settings, I realized that most of my discomfort was coming from the lane centering feature on the truck. Once I turned that off I felt a lot better.

There are still moments that I feel the front end of my truck moving around on the suspension a bit when I am getting passed by larger vehicles or there are wind gusts, but I am confident now that my front wheels are not off the ground. Lol

No issues whatsoever with power to get going from a stop or stopping safely. The electric motor adds some torque that was lost moving to the V6 from the V8. I have the max towing package and with the 262RB I am well below the gross combined vehicle weight rating. Payload numbers on the other hand, are right near the max for me. I have the platinum trim crew cab which adds some weight. Less equipped trims likely have more payload room. In Virginia we don’t have many steep hills, there were only a few times I had to get into the accelerator which brought me down between the 4/5 gear of 10. We also don’t have much elevation so can’t really help you there.

Gas mileage was not great. I put about 3,000 miles on the truck before towing and I was easily in the 600+ mile range on a tank of gas. When towing I came down to about 250 miles of range for a tank. I apologize that I didn‘t record the fuel mileage numbers but you could get close by using that range number and the capacity of the gas tank.

stevez

@dstrait70 - Interesting about the lane centering setting. I assume you also engaged tow mode? If so, its strange that Ford wouldn't automatically override the lane centering functionality in that mode if it causes issues. Also, I assume you have a quality weight distribution / anti-sway hitch installed and properly adjusted? That will make a ton of difference.

dstrait70

@stevez Hmmm - not sure I did do the tow/haul mode. Need to look at the manual. The truck detected the trailer was hooked up and I defined it in the system (weight, height, width, etc.) so I would be surprised if I had to enabled a tow haul mode. Using the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch That was installed at the dealer. Not sure if all trucks have this but the native navigation system in the F150 will route based on the specifications of your trailer to avoid low overpasses and narrow lanes. Nice feature I thought.

Edit: Just watched a youtube video and, no, I was not in tow/haul mode. Live and learn! Thanks for the tip!

@Jim Beletti Sorry we got sidetracked on your thread.

Last edited:

JMarkM

Hello @dstrait70 & @stevez. I am also a F150 Powerboost owner and soon-to-be Delta 262RB owner. Also a first time RV owner. I would love to gain from your experiences and share mine as they come. Perhaps we should start a new thread so as not to hijack @Jim Beletti 's thread here, which I am also interested in following. What do you think?

Trent Mills

I am a little surprised you picked the 3000 instead of the 5000. You need to have a "Systems and lessons learned" discussion at one of our rallys (or just let me buy y'all supper and ask you an hour's worth of questions)!
Thanks for posting your experiences!