• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Marker light test using 7 pin connector

Valkyrie

I have a Valor 42V13 and I've seen posts on the internet showing that you could insert a fuse in the 7 pin connector and it would turn the marker lights on. Following a couple of images of this, mine do not come on.
Is there something else I need to do to get this to work?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'd use volt meter to ensure you are getting 12v power from your battery bank, up to the 7-pin. Once you have confirmed that...a simply jumper/fuse is all you need.

Valkyrie

I'd use volt meter to ensure you are getting 12v power from your battery bank, up to the 7-pin. Once you have confirmed that...a simply jumper/fuse is all you need.
Do you happen to have a correct image or link so that I can be sure I'm hitting the correct pins on the cable?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Here is the wiring diagram. Put a 15amp fuse between 4 and 3 (Trailer cord) and it will light up the running lights. You might get a small spark when first putting the fuse in, but that is ok.

If you want to get super fancy and use a retail kit, here is one on Amazon for $34 that does the same thing.

1688079676241.png

Valkyrie

Here is the wiring diagram. Put a 15amp fuse between 4 and 3 (Trailer cord) and it will light up the running lights. You might get a small spark when first putting the fuse in, but that is ok.

If you want to get super fancy and use a retail kit, here is one on Amazon for $34 that does the same thing.

View attachment 1129
Ok, I did exactly that and the marker lights do not come on. I even sprayed the cord contacts with deoxit. Anything else I can try?

Valkyrie

Confirm your fuse is good and that you are making proper contact?
Yes, I have done that as well. BTW just as a test, would it hurt anything if I plug the trailer cord into the 7 pin receptacle in my truck and test that way while still connected to shore power?
Also, thanks for your help with this.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I have done that as well. BTW just as a test, would it hurt anything if I plug the trailer cord into the 7 pin receptacle in my truck and test that way while still connected to shore power?
Also, thanks for your help with this.
Plugging in RV to Truck while on shore power will not hurt anything.

Not sure how this will allow you to test the jumper, as the connections will be impossible to access once you connect RV to Truck

Valkyrie

Plugging in RV to Truck while on shore power will not hurt anything.

Not sure how this will allow you to test the jumper, as the connections will be impossible to access once you connect RV to Truck
Yeah I was going to make a jumper out of 14 guage wire and some sort of terminal at each end and try that. If that doesn't work, then I was going to try the plug into the truck approach. We're getting ready for our first trip in our new rig and wanted to make sure everything works prior to leaving. A transporter delivered our rig to us and I didn't take note if the lights were working

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I was going to make a jumper out of 14 guage wire and some sort of terminal at each end and try that. If that doesn't work, then I was going to try the plug into the truck approach. We're getting ready for our first trip in our new rig and wanted to make sure everything works prior to leaving. A transporter delivered our rig to us and I didn't take note if the lights were working
Just plug in truck and start going over all lights, turn signal and brake lights. No need for a jumper to test the RV via the truck connections.

Grassjohn

Valkyrie, don’t jump the trailer plug - just plug in to the tow vehicle, turn on the flashers and parking lights, and walk around and check. Then as soon as you hook up and move the camper, at low speed, manually apply the trailer brakes and see if they react. That’ll tell you if you’re good.

Valkyrie

Valkyrie, don’t jump the trailer plug - just plug in to the tow vehicle, turn on the flashers and parking lights, and walk around and check. Then as soon as you hook up and move the camper, at low speed, manually apply the trailer brakes and see if they react. That’ll tell you if you’re good.
I'll do that. Thank you very much for the tips!

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
..and just manually test RV brakes with brake controller...not truck brakes (while towing)

Valkyrie

..and just manually test RV brakes with brake controller...not truck brakes (while towing)
I tried a wired jumper with no luck. So finally, plugged the cable into the truck connector, turned on the headlights and everything lit up! I guess Alliance wires these up differently than others do since the fuse trick didn't work! Many thanks for all the help.