• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

LP Generators and trailers

Lantley

Prominent Member
Yes the simplest way to correct the problem is to connect to a high pressure tank via the RV's High pressure tank or separate portable tank
There are extended stay fittings that allow you can to connect to the RV tank very easily and it is the simplest way to connect your grill to the RV.
However I prefer to connect to the quick connect on the RV. This may require installing a separate demand regulator or simply it becomes more complicated to do this.
Nevertheless I have been able to connect my when generated to the RV quick connect but I had to add a demand regulator. It took a few fittings and adapters and more trial and error to accomplish this. A quick easy solution is extend a stay. A more complicated solution is connecting via the Quick Connect.. Once you have it all sorted out, quick connect is more convenient, However most direct and easiest solution is to use an extend a stay and connect to the RV propane tanks.
 

RockDr896

Prominent Member
I sort of had to figure it out myself too. I ended U at a place that makes hydraulic hoses to come up with the correct fittings to make it work. In my case I had to find the correct demand regulator and eliminate the regulator that Wen provided with their unit. Likewise I ended up with a few extra fittings, but in the end I was happy with the result. I can run my Wen generator off LP Quick Connect of the trailer
Just to be clear for those following....by code, you cannot use Hydraulic JIC fittings for natural gas or propane. You are saying, a hydraulic shop helped you use the right fittings. I am sorry for making this distinction, but both use flared fittings, so I wanted to emphasize the point. Hydraulic shops do use the same hose crimping tools to make the hose you need. It is an excellent piece of advise to steer those in need, to go ask for their help!! Those shops do more than hydraulic hose, but most do not know that...
 

Lantley

Prominent Member
Just to be clear for those following....by code, you cannot use Hydraulic JIC fittings for natural gas or propane. You are saying, a hydraulic shop helped you use the right fittings. I am sorry for making this distinction, but both use flared fittings, so I wanted to emphasize the point. Hydraulic shops do use the same hose crimping tools to make the hose you need. It is an excellent piece of advise to steer those in need, to go ask for their help!! Those shops do more than hydraulic hose, but most do not know that...
I don't dispute what you say in terms of the fittings being certified for natural gas or propane. However after an extensive search they were only ones that had the fittings that would make what I wanted to do work Does that make it OK for a plumbing inspection. No.
Does that allow me to connect the pieces together that I want to connect yes.
That being said I know how to check for leaks and make sure everything is tight and working. I have no worries or concerns when running my dual fuel generator from the LP Quick Connect on the RV.
If I were doing it for hire with liability beyond my own I might be more concerned. But for personal use I'm OK with it.
 

RockDr896

Prominent Member
I don't dispute what you say in terms of the fittings being certified for natural gas or propane. However after an extensive search they were only ones that had the fittings that would make what I wanted to do work Does that make it OK for a plumbing inspection. No.
Does that allow me to connect the pieces together that I want to connect yes.
That being said I know how to check for leaks and make sure everything is tight and working. I have no worries or concerns when running my dual fuel generator from the LP Quick Connect on the RV.
If I were doing it for hire with liability beyond my own I might be more concerned. But for personal use I'm OK with it.
JIC (Hydraulic) fittings are more than capable of handling the low pressures of Propane with ease. I would not be worried about using them either. The threads are different, so transition couplers are available as well.
 

rbflapjack

Active member
Thanks to everyone's help on this issue. I spent about a half an hour on the phone with a Westinghouse technician this morning and did some testing. First, I must say that the service from Westinghouse was outstanding. The person was very patient and very knowledgeable. In summary, the issue is the supply of propane coming from the RV quick connect. The Westinghouse generator really needs the demand regulator that was mentioned earlier in this thread. It is the Ducar 230179 demand regulator, the black pancake regulator in the attached picture. Without it the generator does not get the supply that it wants. With some testing, I am able to get the generator to start without the demand regulator with just a hose going to the quick connect but within a couple seconds it dies. The technician said that is because it is getting too much fuel without the demand regulator. After some serious wrenching, I was able to remove the demand regulator from the Westinghouse provided propane hose and connected to my hose going to the quick connect and that set up worked fine. Hope this helps someone else with a Westinghouse generator because my understanding is the Westinghouse generator is a bit unique in being this sensitive to the propane supply.
 

Attachments

  • 20260921_113951.jpg
    20260921_113951.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5

RockDr896

Prominent Member
Thanks to everyone's help on this issue. I spent about a half an hour on the phone with a Westinghouse technician this morning and did some testing. First, I must say that the service from Westinghouse was outstanding. The person was very patient and very knowledgeable. In summary, the issue is the supply of propane coming from the RV quick connect. The Westinghouse generator really needs the demand regulator that was mentioned earlier in this thread. It is the Ducar 230179 demand regulator, the black pancake regulator in the attached picture. Without it the generator does not get the supply that it wants. With some testing, I am able to get the generator to start without the demand regulator with just a hose going to the quick connect but within a couple seconds it dies. The technician said that is because it is getting too much fuel without the demand regulator. After some serious wrenching, I was able to remove the demand regulator from the Westinghouse provided propane hose and connected to my hose going to the quick connect and that set up worked fine. Hope this helps someone else with a Westinghouse generator because my understanding is the Westinghouse generator is a bit unique in being this sensitive to the propane supply.
yep...glad you had tech support to figure it out! I want all the time back, I spent figuring out the issue...
 
Top