• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Which hitch to purchase?

LuckyDog23

Looking to buy the 295MK or 310RL. currently we have a 2022 F250 Lariat 6.7ft bed with only the OEM puck system.
We settled on this truck because we literally gave up on getting a 2023 of any variety.

Reviewed the discussion re this combo. Some say no turning issues, other say yes. Thinking BW OEM company slider 20k but there’s so many other options for the Ford puck system. We are first time towers of anything other than a boat or uhaul.

I posted this here rather in the extremely dead Hitches sub. Figured it might get seen here.

DanNJanice

I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch in my F250 with a factory 5th wheel prep.
It tows nice and quiet, is super easy to hookup. I have not had any clearance issues with my 6.5ft box.
If I want my truck bed back I remove the hitch (it only weighs 40ish lbs) and remove the ball, takes about 10 minutes.
Andersen Ultimate

GriffLab

Hi Lucky. Give the Curt Crosswing a look. We went from a B&W slider to the Crosswing In a Ram 3500 6.4 bed. Super happy so far. Good clearance and now able to remove hitch in 10 minutes without using my Kubota loader. The B&W was awesome by the way. Just so darn heavy. Not getting any younger…….

Gleninaz

I drive a GMC 3500 short bed and found a Pullrite superglide 4400 in new condition for $300 on craigslist. Had a great shop install it and it is removable but weight over 200 pounds so need a few of my guys to help. I pulled my 340RL 1400 miles and that thing turned on a dime and no lurching or clunking at all. Other than being heavy I really like the hitch.

CornCrib

We also have the Anderson Ultimate in a F350 6.75' bed. Can't do 90 deg, but can get pretty close. We also have room to walk between the open tail gate and the camper when hitched. Allows for some wiggle room in hitching at an angle if necessary.

dwcfish

Walking through the campground today and came across a guy installing a new hitch in his truck. The Anderson hitch below has failed on him just outside of the campground, destroyed his tailgate and damaged the bed of his truck. He was pulling a Grand Design Reflection. Needless to say he was putting in a different brand of hitch.PXL_20230625_214409150.jpg

LuckyDog23

I also saw this.
let me know if link is bad and I’ll remove it. This is a guy with a fairly new gorgeous Keystone Alpine whose rig was totally by an inattentive driver. Gordon Ramsay (not that one LOL) and his wife Alice are full timers who were on the way to the RV show in Hershey, Pennsylvania when this happened. It was a terrifying experience and an Anderson hitch plays a big role it the story.

RichieW13

I also saw this.
let me know if link is bad and I’ll remove it. This is a guy with a fairly new gorgeous Keystone Alpine whose rig was totally by an inattentive driver. Gordon Ramsay (not that one LOL) and his wife Alice are full timers who were on the way to the RV show in Hershey, Pennsylvania when this happened. It was a terrifying experience and an Anderson hitch plays a big role it the story.
I saw that video before. I don't think the Andersen hitch plays an important role at all. Somebody hit him. The hitch didn't cause the accident. And during the accident, his trailer stayed connected and he was able to safely get off the road.

When accidents happen, things will get broken.

RichieW13

Walking through the campground today and came across a guy installing a new hitch in his truck. The Anderson hitch below has failed on him just outside of the campground, destroyed his tailgate and damaged the bed of his truck. He was pulling a Grand Design Reflection. Needless to say he was putting in a different brand of hitch.View attachment 1117
Any info as to how this happened? Was he just driving and it broke, or was there some sort of collision?

LuckyDog23

I saw that video before. I don't think the Andersen hitch plays an important role at all. Somebody hit him. The hitch didn't cause the accident. And during the accident, his trailer stayed connected and he was able to safely get off the road.

When accidents happen, things will get broken.
I did not imply that the Andersen hitch was what caused the accident. I know, an idiot hit him. It takes a pretty stupid driver to not notice a huge 40 ft behemoth. I think the concern was that the pin box cap was damaged by the fishtailing. I’m not saying a B&W is better because I have no basis for saying so, but it appears to me that a hitch with jaws rather than a ball may be a bit resistant? I’m not an engineer, I’m an RN married to an engineer (both retired) and he’s adamant about avoiding aluminum. I’m hoping that the guy send that cup back to Andersen for analysis.

dwcfish

I was told that he had used this hitch for almost 3 years and really liked it. It failed when he pulled away from a stop light, no accident involved. Fortunate for him it happened then and not when he was going down the road.

RichieW13

I was told that he had used this hitch for almost 3 years and really liked it. It failed when he pulled away from a stop light, no accident involved. Fortunate for him it happened then and not when he was going down the road.
That's crazy. I guess the weld failed where the ball mounts. I bet it had begun cracking over time. They mean it on the label where it says "Inspect Product Before Each Use".

LuckyDog23

We have decided on a pullrite slider for short-bed (6’7”) after a few considerations. One of our favorite places to go has really sharp 90° back in spots. Our potential storage facility is also pretty tight. We don’t plan to take the hitch out because the truck is our third vehicle and our other two get phenomenal mileage by comparison and we don’t own a Kubota LOL.

GriffLab

We have decided on a pullrite slider for short-bed (6’7”) after a few considerations. One of our favorite places to go has really sharp 90° back in spots. Our potential storage facility is also pretty tight. We don’t plan to take the hitch out because the truck is our third vehicle and our other two get phenomenal mileage by comparison and we don’t own a Kubota LOL.
Sounds like you did your due diligence. Best of luck and safe travels!

Looking to buy the 295MK or 310RL. currently we have a 2022 F250 Lariat 6.7ft bed with only the OEM puck system.
We settled on this truck because we literally gave up on getting a 2023 of any variety.

Reviewed the discussion re this combo. Some say no turning issues, other say yes. Thinking BW OEM company slider 20k but there’s so many other options for the Ford puck system. We are first time towers of anything other than a boat or uhaul.

I posted this here rather in the extremely dead Hitches sub. Figured it might get seen here.
I’ve used the Reese Receiver Hitch with the Reese Revolution Pinbox in short bed truck and never had any problems with backing into tricky spots requiring close to 90° maneuvers.

And, it just so happens I have the Pinbox for sale! Got a long bed now and use the factory-standard Lippert Pin Box.

LuckyDog23

Quick question here. Our F250 manual says a slider hitch could possibly not work correctly. Without a lot of explanation. We thought of getting a pull rite or B & W sliding hitch.

svanarts

Wondering if anyone has tried out the Reese Goosebox hitch on a shortbed truck? We're looking at getting the 295MK and wondering about turning radii with it. I don't think I'll ever have to do a 90 deg turn so just need to get close to that, not acheive it. My current travel trailer won't do a 90 either and it's never been a problem.

Turfengineer

I use the goosebox in my F350CCSB without issue. I do use a 4” offset gooseball from B&W. I’m a big fan of the combo.