• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Suggestion For Customer Driven Feature 101

BryanValRox

Hi folks, hope the A-Team will take note! While trying to grease the suspension wet bolts on our 310 RL, I found that it was impossible to get a straight grease gun fitting on the zerks. Appears that you will need to remove the tire OR adapt your grease gun with a 90 degree fitting to successfully grease these zerks. Personally, I haven’t had much success with the 90 degree adapter I have in my tool box, so I decided just to go ahead and swap all of the straight in accessible fittings out with 90 degree zerks and dust caps. This is a cheap and easy upgrade and allows for regular greasing with minimal effort. In my opinion this is a no brainer, and adds value to the owner empowerment philosophy. I hope there is some consideration by the factory to change over to 90 degree fittings OR even consider if the wet bolt could be installed in the opposite direction with the straight zerks facing inside the coach so that they could be greased from under the coach without the need to remove the tires. I have attached a picture of my upgrade for folks to see.

Attachments

• 32D47F59-A5B3-4E7B-B8D7-3674FBEB0CB3.jpeg
    32D47F59-A5B3-4E7B-B8D7-3674FBEB0CB3.jpeg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 37

bhidalgo

That is so cool! I was doing exact same thing yesterday, on our 310 RL - trying to grease the fittings - and you probably know the mess I ended up with in the process.

Where did you get the angled fittings at? I’m going to do the same thing you did and swap them out.

Thanks - Bill

BryanValRox

Hi Bill, Hope you have your mess cleaned up by now🤣!!!

I sourced the 90 degree Zerks and dust caps from Amazon. However, Zerks are something that is usuallly readily available at most any Auto Parts store or Hardware store. Just be careful they come in SAE and Metric Thread versions, so you might remove one and take it with you to ensure a match. Ours were SAE and 1/8 inch thread.
Assuming your old ones remove easily, you can have both sides done in about 30 minutes(give or take). The modification will pay dividends while performing future maintenance.

Best regards,
Bryan

bhidalgo

Thanks Bryan.
I’ve got an Auto Zone just up the street I’ll check with first for them today.

Yeah the mess is cleaned but the rig needs a bath. So, I’ll probably hit the running gear with a little bit of pressure washer and try to get it cleaned up better. It’s dirty!

Bill

Focker

On my factory visit this summer I walked a few reps to my rig and a few others and explained why the wet bolts should be mounted to the inside. Not sure if it will happen but it would save us all a bunch of extra work.

BryanValRox

Hi Focker, nice to met you! There is strength in numbers! And we can only hope that they will listen.
Now that I have made my mod, I really think the 90 degree option is the best solution. All of the fittings can be reached from the side of the coach without the need to crawl underneath for this specific maintenance task.

Terri&KevinGates

Changed mine out to 90 degree fittings today. The other thing I got was a lock and lube end for my grease gun. I thought it was expensive at $30 but after using it is worth it. It’s got spring steel jaws that lock it onto the fitting. No more trying to hold it with one hand while pumping grease with the other.IMG_1699.jpeg

bhidalgo

Changed mine out to 90 degree fittings today. The other thing I got was a lock and lube end for my grease gun. I thought it was expensive at $30 but after using it is worth it. It’s got spring steel jaws that lock it onto the fitting. No more trying to hold it with one hand while pumping grease with the other.View attachment 1656
Where’d you get it from?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@BryanValRox - love the 90 degree zerk idea. I have passed your suggestion up the line.

If you don't mind, please share the Amazon links to both the 90 degree zerks and the dust caps. I saw a lot of options and this isn't my thing, so I need more guidance and it may help others too. Thanks.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@Terri&KevinGates - love that Lock and Lube. Does this one on Amazon look like the same one you have.

To all: Are there some favorite grease guns out there that DIYer's prefer? Here's a number of them from Lock and Lube's Amazon store. I need to get back into doing more of my own maintenance so I'm reaching out to the braintrust on this forum. A lot of sharp folks here.

BryanValRox

Hi Jim,
Below are the links you requested regarding the zerks and dust caps.

Full disclosure, I purchased this set that contains both SAE and Metic thread types. I purchased this large set, as I have other needs for these, outside of the RV.
I would suggest anyone that is considering this upgrade to remove one from their coach and match up the thread type and quantity needed to limit their cost some.

Terri&KevinGates

@Terri&KevinGates - love that Lock and Lube. Does this one on Amazon look like the same one you have.

To all: Are there some favorite grease guns out there that DIYer's prefer? Here's a number of them from Lock and Lube's Amazon store. I need to get back into doing more of my own maintenance so I'm reaching out to the braintrust on this forum. A lot of sharp folks here.
Yes that looks like the same thing. I did see that there were cheaper brands on Amazon but not sure how well they work. My grease gun is one I bought at Tractor Supply. It works well for me as I only use it for the trailers wet bolts.

Focker

I purchased this one and am very happy with it:

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi Jim,
Below are the links you requested regarding the zerks and dust caps.

Full disclosure, I purchased this set that contains both SAE and Metic thread types. I purchased this large set, as I have other needs for these, outside of the RV.
I would suggest anyone that is considering this upgrade to remove one from their coach and match up the thread type and quantity needed to limit their cost some.
Thanks Bryan.

BryanValRox

@Jim Beletti
Hey Jim, this is the spec for the recommended grease taken directly from the installation instructions for the suspension equalizer.

They suggest using a NLGI Standard No 2 automotive grease to lubricate each fitting.

I personally used grease Branded under the Dexter Axle Brand. It is a little hard to find at a reasonable price, but it is rated for both suspension and wheel bearings, so one size fits all in this case.
I happen to find it on “find it parts.com for 9.49 per tube. Part number 088-012-00.

I have a phobia 😂 that always steers me to OEM recommendation! While usually a bit more expensive, no one is able to challenge you for using non genuine stuff if you get into a warranty situation.
Best regards!
Bryan

Last edited:

Focker

A lot of folks use Lucas Red N Tacky however after I watched one of Project Farm's excellent videos I have been using the Red Line High Performance CV-2:

Project Farm video: