• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Seems like no suspension

aliadams

We just purchased the 382RK and have made two trips in it so far. The first trip we arrived and things inside the camper had moved all over the place and I just figured this is a heavier camper and it bounces more. On the trip home from the first outing, the microwave came open and the metal rack and glass turn table were on the floor. Of course, the turntable was broken into pieces. So, we decided maybe we needed airbags on the truck. Had those installed and left on our second trip with the microwave door taped shut. Upon arrival things weren't so bad. We put more weight on the camper towards the truck bed end as we read that may help with bounce also. So water and cokes went into the closet that is over the truck bed when towing. Things still moved around a lot but no doors came open with things crashing to the ground. On the way back from the trip, the refrigerator doors came completely open and food was everywhere in the camper. Items fell from shelves in the closet that is over the truck bed. The refrigerator has bent the screws that are holding it into the wall and the wall is starting to separate. The bottoms of one of the cabinets is falling down and it only has some paper plates and paper bowls in it and not very many of those either. This is our 4th camper and we have never had problems like this before. So, has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it? It is almost like the camper has no suspension on it at all. We even let some air out of the camper tires to see if this would give it a smoother ride and that didn't work. Airbags were down to 15 and 20 at times because if we bring them to 30 it bounces extremely bad(installation crew recommended pressure of 30 when hauling the camper). We are just out of options and don't know what to do next. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Guests on the Move

Have had 6 previous 5th wheels, all have had items bounce around. These things have leaf springs and on the highways of this country being In the shape they are things bounce around. Have put Sumo springs on all 3 axles of the trailer and they seem to help. Other than that the only way to really improve the ride inside the trailer is independent suspension. This is a large investment but can help a lot. we Usually stow all the breakable things in secure areas, and there are locks sold to keep the refrigerator closed.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @aliadams - sorry to hear about the bounciness of your unit. With the 382RK being a rear kitchen layout and with the kitchen being behind the axles, it would stand to reason that things back there are going to be more active that any other floorplan you've had in the past.

I don't have much for wisdom on this other than to say, if I towed an RK model RV, I would be driving slower then if I was towing a mid-kitchen.

In saying this, in no way am I suggesting you're towing too fast as I have no idea. I'm just saying that I'd tow between 55 and 62 MPH, depending on road conditions. In fact, for me with a mid-kitchen now, that's my towing speeds unless the road is smooth as glass, then I will push faster knowing there are no road variations that are going to be introduced into my coach.

When loaded for travel, check your axles and springs for positive camber. The axles should have an upward arch near their center and the spring packs should not be close to flat or worse, a W. Make sure none of the spring leaves are broken too.

Sorry that I don't have anything solid to give you on this. I suggest you consider creating a new thread in the Paradigm section of this forum with a topic like "382RK owners - how are the roads treating your kitchen?" or something like that. I'm sure you'll get some feedback.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Have you looked at the leaf springs after you are fully loaded and ready to tow? Might be a good idea to get your RV weighed (tongue and axle)

Last edited:

aliadams

I will have my husband check springs and all. We don't have much in the camper, not even a full set of pots and all. This has been the worse experience we have had with a camper and am thinking of trying to return or sell it. The refrigerator is trying hard to come out of the wall. We don't travel fast when towing just to all of the past problems we have had with campers and towing. Husband drives around 60 if road is ok and if bumpy we slow down even more. We are hoping the place we bought it from will give us an idea of why it is having such a hard time. I clean up piles of dust everywhere when we arrive somewhere from all the wood rubbing so bad. I was hoping someone on here would be going through the same thing and give us an idea on how they fixed it.

darrell

When we had our 390MP we thought it was pretty rough towing as well. I added airbags to my truck to help level it back out (leveling kit on it so it sagged a bit with the pin on it). Our new SOB has the Morryde independent suspension. Obviously lots changed with a new trailer (front kitchen now, air ride pin, 3 axles vs 2), but it rides so much better than the 390MP did. IS will make a huge difference, but as stated, it is a rather expensive upgrade.