• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

recommendations for a 5th wheel hitch. OEM/model for a 42-13 ?

johnda98

we'll start looking out for a recommended one thats used/safe.

thanks guys.

johnda98

3500 dodge 5.9 dually or a 6.7. with airbags in rear. standard oem 17inch rims.. yep none of the 20inch BTG silliness.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I've used many 5th wheel pinboxes and hitches over the years. Of all of them, those below stand out as my favorites.

Pinbox
- FlexAir - link
Super nice ride - some maintenance
- MORryde - link
Decent ride - no maintenance

Hitch
1. TrailerSaver BD5 - link
2. TrailerSaver TS3 - link
3. B&W Companion - link
Decent ride - minimal maintenance

Not Tested (by me)
Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch System - link
I've seen a number of Valor owners go to this hitch. I've spoken to a few and I have read a lot of reviews. It seems that this system excels on units with a heavier than average pin weight from the reviews I've read. Full disclosure: I am planning on testing a Gen-Y with my heavy pin weight Paradigm 340. Heavy due to washer, dryer, 800 Ah (soon to be 1000 Ah) LiFePO4, dual inverters and more - all up front. That's why my new TrailerSaver BD5 is now for sale.

Last edited:

BirchyBoy

I had a Curt slider, which you probably don’t need, then a PullRite 2600 SuperLite and now a TrailerSaver BD5. I loved the weight of the PullRite but my 310RL seemed extra bouncy, even with my DRW. The BD5 solved that but it is heavy and expensive. I’ve got it coupled with a Moryde pinbox and it works very well.

johnda98

I've used many 5th wheel pinboxes and hitches over the years. Of all of them, those below stand out as my favorites.

Pinbox
- FlexAir - link
- MORryde - link

Hitch
3. B&W Companion - link

Not Tested (by me)
I've seen a number of Valor owners go to this hitch. I've spoken to a few and I have read a lot of reviews. It seems that this system excels on units with a heavier than average pin weight from the reviews I've read. Full disclosure: I am planning on testing a Gen-Y with my heavy pin weight Paradigm 340. Heavy due to washer, dryer, 800 Ah (soon to be 1000 Ah) LiFePO4, dual inverters and more - all up front. That's why my new TrailerSaver BD5 is now for sale.
thanks Jim .. super info !

johnda98

Pinbox
- FlexAir - link
- MORryde - link

Hitch
3. B&W Companion - link

Not Tested (by me)

whats the experienced advantage of going gooseneck ? simply ride behavior .. any specific technical advantage ?

Last edited:

johnda98

thanks Jim .. super info !
must admit .. being able to run the bedroom AC unit for a full sleep time.. 8hrs or so.. from batts.. while say booned at cracker barrel - en route... would be nice to not disturb neighbors especially if a full-time snow birder.. upgrade the solar plus package to 500 AH to handle at least the hottest hours.. I think 80F was my limit on sleep temps.

Andrew

+1 For B&W Companion. They have a couple different models. I have a B&W Turnoverball goose hitch, so I bought the B&W Companion hitch that's compatible. It's two pieces, so in a pinch, I can lift it in/out by myself. Their customer service was incredible through the purchase and install support needs I had.

It's only a few months old, but thus far, it's been a fantastic hitch.

johnda98

+1 For B&W Companion. They have a couple different models. I have a B&W Turnoverball goose hitch, so I bought the B&W Companion hitch that's compatible. It's two pieces, so in a pinch, I can lift it in/out by myself. Their customer service was incredible through the purchase and install support needs I had.

It's only a few months old, but thus far, it's been a fantastic hitch.
so goosehitch advantage is just ease of removal/install ?

Andrew

so goosehitch advantage is just ease of removal/install ?
My hitch is the companion (LINK), which connects to my truck via the turnover ball mount. The camper still has the standard kingpin pin box that came with the camper. Hopefully I'm not confusing you. If I had a new truck with the factory puck system, I would have gone with a hitch compatible with that system.

In my case, I already had a B&W Turnover ball installed (LINK), and didn't want to go with a system requiring me to install rails in my bed.

In the end, I only have 1 hole in my bed, and have the flexibility of hooking up to a gooseneck trailer or a 5th wheel.

johnda98

My hitch is the companion (LINK), which connects to my truck via the turnover ball mount. The camper still has the standard kingpin pin box that came with the camper. Hopefully I'm not confusing you. If I had a new truck with the factory puck system, I would have gone with a hitch compatible with that system.

In my case, I already had a B&W Turnover ball installed (LINK), and didn't want to go with a system requiring me to install rails in my bed.

In the end, I only have 1 hole in my bed, and have the flexibility of hooking up to a gooseneck trailer or a 5th wheel.
nice.. I like it.. soooo it is just as secure - same rating as one that uses rails then ? and the companion is not too heavy to lift out ?

HCL

We went with the B&W companion hitch as well.
Nice option to remove hitch, turnover ball and be able to carry stuff flat in the bed like a piece of plywood or bulky items.
Like said above, it is two manageable pieces, and I can remove it on the road if needed, at home I use a block and tackle mounted to roof in garage.

Andrew

nice.. I like it.. soooo it is just as secure - same rating as one that uses rails then ? and the companion is not too heavy to lift out ?
It's had rave reviews for years, and I figured it has been out long enough that there would surely be someone that had experienced a failure... however, I have yet to be able to find one. It took an hour or so to set everything up initially, but now, it's pretty simple to install. So far it's been rock solid.

It's rated for 20k lbs, and 5k lbs pin weight.

1. pull the lever for the turnover ball.
2. drop in bottom piece of hitch.
3. release lever back in to secure hitch.
4. tighten 1 bolt on top to 60 ft/lbs. (this pulls the hitch down tight. It's easier to understand when you see the whole thing)
5. install hitch head (no tools, 10 seconds)

The bottom part of the hitch probably weighs 80-100 lbs? The top part probably weighs 50-60. It's not light by any stretch, but with 2 people it's very manageable. I CAN do it by myself without a helper if I absolutely have to. It fits perfect on a furniture dolly, where I leave it for storage in the garage. I can easily then just roll it from the garage to the tailgate, minimizing the time it has to be carried.

The only gripe I have is having to get back out of the bed and release the lever before tightening the bolt. If you have a single rear wheel, you might be able to reach over the bedside and release it. It's a pretty minor gripe... but something to be aware of.

Last edited:

Mjgodz+3

Our 37v13 has a Curt RotoFlex. We pick it up soon. We ordered a B&W Companion Slider for our 2022 Ram 3500 short box. We were told they were compatible and being USA made meant a lot of us. Hopefully we were not pointed in the wrong direction

johnda98

thanks to everyone.. excellent to hear thoughts.. as a full timer - hitch stays in the bed full time.. looked at the GenY for the gooseneck.. but seems a bit 'gimmicky' .. just to have room for groceries etc. plus a acclaimed 3mpg saving ?? .. nooope dont see that.

darrell

I would definitely have a GenY if I did not have a shortbed. They might seem gimmicky, but they are solid and get good reviews.

Delta262

we'll start looking out for a recommended one thats used/safe.

thanks guys.
Demco slider hitch, especially if you have a short bed truck. We have one in our F250 Ford Lariat Super Duty; 19,000 capacity. We pulled a Keystone Montana High Country 31re fiver. Couldn’t tell the Montana was back there, especially when jackknifing it into tight sites. We traded the Montana when we bought the Delta 362rb, so we don’t need (or want) a 5th wheel hitch. We put the Mohryde pin box on the Montana. I’ll make anyone a good deal on it…will NEVER go back to a fifth wheel.

johnda98

inherited a 30K curt hitch so all is well.

I bumper pulled a 24ft for 6 months.. but the 5th wheel I like its pivot point and as a toy hauler.. I'll be camping only in noisy OHV areas with very large spaces - 100% boondock.

Presume you didnt like the 5th wheel .. too large for your camping goals.. ie smaller sights.. state parks etc ?