• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

recommendations for a 5th wheel hitch. OEM/model for a 42-13 ?

johnda98

What truck do you have? If a Ford, check out the TrailerSaver that was just posted for sale.
sorry Jim for late reply. RAM 5500. We got a Curt 30K so all set now on hitch.. works well.. more I load up the pin weight.. the better the truck rides !

Delta262

We liked the 5th wheel. But yes, it is too big, heavy, and didn’t play well with a lot of parks and some campgrounds. As far as a ‘camper’ goes, the Montana was tremendous. But pulling one burns gas a few times per mile more than a travel trailer. The cost of gas is irrelevant; we feel guilty wasting petroleum at the rate we burned with a heavy, non-aerodynamic 5th wheel. And yes, it is far bigger than two people need. We don’t boondock; we try to stay in military campgrounds when possible, and parks when available. Commercial campgrounds are OK, depending on location. We aren’t new to campers: we own four campers….three are vintage campers plus whichever modern camper we have at the time. Have fun with your new 5th wheel.

Bozo

I had a demo auto slide in my ram 2500 short box, I loved it but was kinda a pain if you unhooked at an angle. Great hitch though, fairly heavy. I sold that when I bought my ram 3500 and now use the Oem Curt 30k. Works like a champ and simple. I’ve looked at the BD5 and it’s just a bit spendy and bulky(it is no doubt smooth, I’m sure). My old 5er has the air ride pin box and centerpoint air ride. I know I am not much help and ultimately it’s your choice to make in the end.

dhcolesj

I'm about to sell a 30k hitch for a RAM 3500. I had to try and get that thing out of the back, and said NO MORE. I've supposedly got a Gen-Y Executive on the way to replace the 5th wheel. If they'll get on with delivering it.

RognMar

I have the Gen-Y Executive and the B&W OEM Ball and Safety Chain Kit.
Lots of room in my trucks bed when not in use. Expensive? Its all relative. Happly use it with my Chevy 2500hd 6 foot bed pulling an Avenue 32rls.
Gen-Y is correct, first 1000 miles are noticeable, however now, it's smooth, easy to hitch and you don't need to straight (in line with 5th wheel), just enough to pull away leaving the trailer behind. I just need to find someone needs the original factory pin box. Advertising it For Sale on the forum would be useless because nobody needs one.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
.... I just need to find someone needs the original factory pin box. Advertising it For Sale on the forum would be useless because nobody needs one.
I just wanted mine GONE. Put it on Facebook marketplace for $100 and it was gone the next day.