• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Inverter installation

Delta262

Any idea how to install an inverter in the Deltas? Our 262rb is advertised as ‘inverter prep’ [same for wifi and tpms], but no instructions how to connect an inverter into its “prep”. Lack of owner’s manual and specific documentation is bad enough; but the lackluster replies from Alliance only exacerbates the problem. My dealer estimated $700 to install an inverter….cited not knowing it has ‘inverter prep’ caused the problem: the dealer‘s technicians don’t know any more about the Delta than I. No info on specific components and wiring diagram for this trailer. I’m concerned about jumping into projects as I don’t want to void my warranty. I’m no newbie working on camping trailers: I restore vintage campers, and have done modifications to every camper we’ve owned. But today’s camper trailers have a ton of sophisticated features new to me. would appreciate some expert guidance before attacking the Delta with tools and a multimeter!

mooree

Before beginning any installation, disconnect the RV from all power sources, including shore power and the battery. Then install a fuse or circuit breaker between the battery and the inverter. This provides protection in case of a short circuit or overload. Ensure it's sized correctly for your inverter's specifications.

Last edited:

tellojsu

Any idea how to install an inverter in the Deltas? Our 262rb is advertised as ‘inverter prep’ [same for wifi and tpms], but no instructions how to connect an inverter into its “prep”. Lack of owner’s manual and specific documentation is bad enough; but the lackluster replies from Alliance only exacerbates the problem. My dealer estimated $700 to install an inverter….cited not knowing it has ‘inverter prep’ caused the problem: the dealer‘s technicians don’t know any more about the Delta than I. No info on specific components and wiring diagram for this trailer. I’m concerned about jumping into projects as I don’t want to void my warranty. I’m no newbie working on camping trailers: I restore vintage campers, and have done modifications to every camper we’ve owned. But today’s camper trailers have a ton of sophisticated features new to me. would appreciate some expert guidance before attacking the Delta with tools and a multimeter!
Were you ever able to get this figured out? I’m looking at doing the same. Reading the electrical panel seems it is prepped but want to make sure I’m doing it the best and most straightforward way

RetRVers

I bought a 262RB in October and would also like to know how to install an Inverter. Does anyone know what "Inverter Prep" means? Is there any documentation from Alliance that you have found? Thanks.

CornCrib

Usually, what "Inverter Prep" means is that they've prewired a subset of 110v outlets in the coach to receive inverted power. Those outlets have leads that terminate in a junction box in a location where an inverter would normally be installed (not sure where there is in the Delta line, but in the 5th wheel lines, it usually in the front storage). In an overly simplified explanation, you'd need to connect this lead to the inverter, as well as power from the battery. Sometimes there would be a control panel to install in the living area to turn the inverter on and off without having to go to the installation site and press a button on the inverter unit itself. Here is an example of an inverter and how to install ... but there are many more options to choose from to meet your needs.. You may also choose to have all 110v outlets inverted .. in which case the "Inverter Prep" provided would not come into play. You're heading down a very fun road .... good luck.

RetRVers

Thanks much for the info. Looks like it's time to explore the front pass through and see just where the "Inverter Prep" is........

MNMMAC777

I have the same trailer. Check out the attached link. He'll will walk you through the whole process on a TT that is inverter prepped.
. From all my inverter research, Victron is the brand of inverter I'll be going with.
Check out Explorist life on youtube. He is all about Victron products. Enjoy

RetRVers

Thanks to all for the help. The video was very helpful.

I just completed installing a Renogy 2000W Inverter and an automatic transfer switch in our 262RB. As advertised, there is a junction box located behind the access panel in the pass-through labeled "Warning! This connection is for inverter rated 110-125 volt ac, 60 hz, 30 amperes maximum". Installation of the inverter in the roof of the pass-through was fairly straight forward using the provided 36" cables that came with the inverter. My best solution was to cut a hole in the front of the trailer to route the cables directly to the lithium batteries with a 200 amp in-line fuse. Connection from the inverter to the transfer switch was with 12-2 romex wiring. Entire system works as expected, and it easily powers my Keurig coffee maker!

Please see attached pictures and let ne know if there are any questions. Total time to install was about 4 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 50

daemonic3

Thanks for being the pioneer on this! I've been wondering, in order to decide if installing an inverter using the existing prep is worth it, which outlets/appliances does the inverter feed? Is it just the full set of GFCI outlets? Only some? Microwave?

I feel most important is nightstand (my cpap battery lasts ~5hrs only), kitchen outlets and microwave next, and TV outlets are a nice to have. I would assume ACs and fireplace are not part of the prep but would love to know!

RetRVers

The inverter supplies power to all the GFCI plugs and the microwave. I now have power for my CPAP, can watch TV, and even run the Keurig coffee pot in the morning! I only have 200 Amp-Hours of Lithium batteries so no air conditioning. Will have to use the generator for that. Not sure about a fireplace.

I did add a shunt to monitor battery performance. Since the batteries are in front on the A-frame I decided to put the shunt there and velcroed it to the battery.

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpeg
    IMG_1981.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 22

daemonic3

Nice! That's exactly why I got a lion energy bluetooth battery, because I love monitoring currents, voltage and SOC%. I opted for the group 24 so I could easily upgrade to fit 2 on the tongue in the future, so I only have 105Ah.

I've done no research on inverters, do you know your efficiency? Like I monitored the keurig before and it took between 6-10A on 110V for roughly 1.5 minutes. If I knew the inverter efficiency I could tell my wife our battery capacity is "about 20 coffees" or something fun like that.

Havic406

Thanks to all for the help. The video was very helpful.

I just completed installing a Renogy 2000W Inverter and an automatic transfer switch in our 262RB. As advertised, there is a junction box located behind the access panel in the pass-through labeled "Warning! This connection is for inverter rated 110-125 volt ac, 60 hz, 30 amperes maximum". Installation of the inverter in the roof of the pass-through was fairly straight forward using the provided 36" cables that came with the inverter. My best solution was to cut a hole in the front of the trailer to route the cables directly to the lithium batteries with a 200 amp in-line fuse. Connection from the inverter to the transfer switch was with 12-2 romex wiring. Entire system works as expected, and it easily powers my Keurig coffee maker!

Please see attached pictures and let ne know if there are any questions. Total time to install was about 4 hours.
Forgive my dumb questions but I havent taken possesion of our 262rb yet but would like to plan for install of the inverter.
Are all wiring for the transfer switch behind access panel labeled and ready as they claim it's "prepped and ready"?
Did you need anything else?
Where did you mount the remote?
After install does everything else work and chargee like normal when on grid power or gererator?
Any tips for a noobie that will be attempting this upgrade?

RetRVers

For something like this, there are no dumb questions! Better to ask them now before you start.

Transfer switch. Three wiring hookups are required and two of them come from the "Prep" that has already been done at the factory. There is a loop that comes from the circuit breaker panel, located in a silver junction box located behind the access panel in the rear of the pass-through. The Hot side goes to the top left input on the transfer switch and the Cold side comes out the lower left Output side.

The third connection comes from the inverter and connects in to the upper right side of the transfer switch. Now the transfer switch has to determine what power inputs there are. If no shore power, the transfer switch "transfers" to the inverter as long as it is turned on. There's a time delay and then magically the microwave lights come on and the AC plugs are active.

Inverter remote. I'm trying to find a path to get it mounted inside the trailer but haven't found one yet. So, when I pull up to a site where we are Boondocking I simply reach in and turn on the invetrtern using the power switch on the back of it. Likewise, I turn it off when we are packing up. Not much power draw so I've been leaving it on.

I believe everything is working as designed. If you are running on inverter power and plug in to shore power or a generator everything in the trailer appears to work as normal. The transfer switch should recognize the external power and "switch" to the shore power source.

Tips. Research the entire project and take your time. I highly recommend adding a shunt so you can monitor the battery performance from your smart phone.

We've taken three Boondocking trips with the inverter so far and am very pleased with the performance. It sure is nice to wake up and not have to go start the generator before having a cup of coffee (Especially if it's earlier than generator-on times at the campground). Keep your generator handy because you'll need it after a couple days of partial or no sun.

Havic406

Thank you for taking the time to better explain, I now understand how it all works together. I'll definitely research more and look in to the items needed and what it'll take to give more juice down the road.