• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Hard wire surge protector

BryanValRox

Elite Member
Hi gang, I didn’t like the thought of a external surge protector, so I decided to go the hardwire route and was able to locate a spot on the Nautilus panel that worked out nicely. Made an easy modification to the mounting strategy to obtain that”Factory Installed Look” that I was after. Gives me the visibility to “Status” and any error codes that might surface.
 

Attachments

  • E9601409-5FCA-4F90-99A4-60C204187546.jpeg
    E9601409-5FCA-4F90-99A4-60C204187546.jpeg
    692.5 KB · Views: 82

Oregon_Camper

Forum Admin
Staff member
We have the same one, but I buried it behind the pass-through wall. I monitor it from the app on my phone.
 

BryanValRox

Elite Member
Hi Jim, I use the app as well once the initial hook up is completed and we are settled in. (only in the driveway at this point, for Sunday Football, ha) Hoping for the truck to arrive soon! Call me crazy, but I really like to be informed on the systems status of the coach. Apps and monitors are key to that addiction :):) Also love the EPO feature of this SP for added protection.
 

Hotrodjohn

Well-known member
I have this one to the right of the outlet at the top. Unit is mounted near the transfer switch so it protects if it’s on the Generator or the pedestal
IMG_3459.jpeg
 

Whitey

Member
Hi Guys,

Alliance Valor 32a10 with Generator
I'm looking for more information to where to add a hardwired watchdog.
Power comes in from near the rear of the RV to where?

Appreciate the help in advance,
Whitey
 

BryanValRox

Elite Member
The wire would run from your wall power connection to a transfer switch. As far as the location of the transfer switch on your rig, I have no clue. However, you might be able to track it down by the “clunk” it makes when you plug/unplug the pedestal or fire up the genset.

Generally speaking, the protector should be installed between the shore connection and the transfer switch. Be sure to follow the manufacture instructions.
 

BryanValRox

Elite Member
It will have 3 large cables attached to it.
1. Shore Power Inlet
2. Genset Inlet
3. Outlet to the Breaker Panel

When you find it, I would also recommend the you ensure it has no active voltage supply, remove the cover, and check the torque on all of the set screws to ensure your wire connections are tight.
 

BryanValRox

Elite Member
I see that there is a new (?) model of this hardwired unit that has wifi and BT?
You are correct!
Link to the 50 amp pasted above.
 

Flyer32RLS

Well-known member
Really neat work done by all. I have an external one and for $399, I'll pass on making it permanent fixed inline.
Great idea and if this one ever goes kaput, I might invest but for now. I like hooking it up before connedting to RV to insure it is correct before connecting to RV.
Great work all!!
 
Top