• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

GVWR and axles

jepalmer

What effect does having 2 - 6000 lb axles have on a rig with a UVW of 10,942 lb and GVWR of 13.995 lb? If I load to the cargo weight of 2993 lb, what does that do to the axles? Is the true cargo weight about 1,000 lb?

Bozo

What effect does having 2 - 6000 lb axles have on a rig with a UVW of 10,942 lb and GVWR of 13.995 lb? If I load to the cargo weight of 2993 lb, what does that do to the axles? Is the true cargo weight about 1,000 lb?
Part of the gvwr is transfer weight to the tow vehicle. Is this on a 5er or bumper pull?

BryanValRox

Would you happen to have a picture of the manufacturer tag on the trailer you are referencing?
It might be helpful to post it, so folks could further understand the context of your question.
On the surface it would see odd to have a cargo weight of 2993. This number sounds more like a pin/hitch weight to me. The picture of the tag would help folks understand how to respond.

jepalmer

thanks for the replies, trying to learn something here.
5th wheel (32RLS). The 2993 is bad math. I took GVWR-UWR or 13995-10942=3053
1708209267064.png

darrell

As stated before, you will be sharing the GVWR with either the pin when towing or the front jacks when parked. It would be really hard to have all the GVWR on the axles only.

JWalker

Our last trailer weighed in at 15k. With tandem 7k axles. (14k). We had a 3k pin weight. So technically only 12k was sitting on the trailer axles and 3k was sitting on the truck...when hooked up.