• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Fasteners for outside walls...

DanNJanice

Just wondering what people have found to be the best fastener to use on the outside Azdel walls?
The Azdel itself seems to be fairly poor at holding screw threads. Obviously the best solution would be to find a stud, but that is not always possible.
So what have you guy found that works best, sheet metal screws, rivets, mollys or toggles, self tapping screws, etc?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Depending on what you want to mount, I would pre-drill and use an aggressive thread screw. If it was something light, I would consider using 3M VHB tape. I used VHB to attach a Doorbell Camera.

DanNJanice

Thanks Jim,
I am looking at two things that I think will need attached from the outside.
1) Most of the top slide wipers are falling off and will need reattached or replaced.
2) The struts that support the driver side slam hatch have pulled out of the door. I removed the struts and will either just use a stick to support the door or attach something to the outside of wall like a hook or chain.

rgeyer

Thanks Jim,
I am looking at two things that I think will need attached from the outside.
1) Most of the top slide wipers are falling off and will need reattached or replaced.
2) The struts that support the driver side slam hatch have pulled out of the door. I removed the struts and will either just use a stick to support the door or attach something to the outside of wall like a hook or chain.
I added a 4"x4"x1/8" aluminum plate to the door haven't had any issues. Is your entire seal coming off or just the D bulb? I've had mine replaced and the bulb keeps coming off

DanNJanice

I added a 4"x4"x1/8" aluminum plate to the door haven't had any issues. Is your entire seal coming off or just the D bulb? I've had mine replaced and the bulb keeps coming off
In my case the part that is "stapled" to the trailer is what is coming off. These are two part seals. One part is stapled to the trailer at the top of the slide opening, and is the wiper.
The other part is the D bulb which slides into a track in the wiper. What I have seen on other trailers is that if the wiper part is not applied strait it will cause the track to open slightly, in places, and the D bulb will come out.