Thanks for the info and the warning. I made the mistake once of not letting it cool enough. Not quite sure why it won't drain from the low point drain but I guess I don't understand the plumbing.
So, 100% agree with Jim. The drain plug is the best and most effective method.
Not sure of your actual plumbing layout, but many RV water heaters have a check valve in the hot water outlet or bypass valve strategy (or both) . This impacts the ability for it to drain via yur low points. Air must have a path in, in order for the water to drain out effectively..
I guess in theory, assuming the heater is mounted above your low points, and you only have the check valve installed in your hot water outlet connection and you opened your pressure and temperature valve to allow air in, the water should drain back out the cold circuit to your low points. It would drain at a much slower rate and likely not as effective as the anode plug method.. I wouldn’t recommend it.
Personally, I use the anode plug method after it cools a bit. I vent the PTV and pull the plug and get out of the way as the 12 gallons drains on the ground. I do this during camp tear down to shed @ 100 lbs before travel.