• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Burnt Solar Wires / Wire Nuts - Solar Plus

CornCrib

On the underside of the box, I have 2 layers (one close to the hole, one further out) of butyl tape, then AFCAT 945 around the perimeter and at screw penetrations, and where wires penetrate box. I had one 320w panel that came from the factory and added 3 more of the same from Renogy. They are wired 2s2p to a Victron MPPT 150/100. Almost completely done with the entire install. I'll post finished pics in the coming days of the front compartment. Here's the layout of the panels on the roof:
3B7A70D1-A44D-48F0-8366-46227369CF77_1_105_c.jpeg

Shelly S

This is exactly what I did in my 32RLS. I abandoned the OEM roof penetration and switched to the PVC pipe roof access. That way, I know exactly how the wire is routed, and that all connections are sound. There is now just uninterrupted wire (no splices) running from the roof penetration box to the solar controller. It was not hard at all, and I'll sleep easier.
View attachment 1395
Real nice job Paul. I don’t know why anyone would intentionally splice the wire if you did not have to. It is not like this a 200ft run.

DanNJanice

On the underside of the box, I have 2 layers (one close to the hole, one further out) of butyl tape, then AFCAT 945 around the perimeter and at screw penetrations, and where wires penetrate box. I had one 320w panel that came from the factory and added 3 more of the same from Renogy. They are wired 2s2p to a Victron MPPT 150/100. Almost completely done with the entire install. I'll post finished pics in the coming days of the front compartment. Here's the layout of the panels on the roof:
View attachment 1402
What is this 1.5" PVC wiring chase everyone is talking about, is is already in the trailer or is it something that you added yourself? Based on the picture above, it looks like the pipe would end up coming out in the middle of the bedroom ceiling. It still has to get all the way down to the solar controller in the passthrough. How was that accomplished?

Mike in North Wales

The chase is a factory installed tube that typically ends in the area behind the Nautilus panel/heater/water heater. This can be model dependent, but thats the general area. On the roof, it will appear as a tank vent, but it is black. The actual vents are white.

Shelly S

View attachment 1402
Did the mounting hardware come with your new panels or did you order that seperately? Looks nice!

CornCrib

Did the mounting hardware come with your new panels or did you order that seperately? Looks nice!
I ordered the panels from Renogy, but they do not come with mounting hardware. I ordered the Z brackets that goes with these panels .. also from Renogy.

CornCrib

The chase is a factory installed tube that typically ends in the area behind the Nautilus panel/heater/water heater. This can be model dependent, but thats the general area. On the roof, it will appear as a tank vent, but it is black. The actual vents are white.
What Mike said.... mine comes down more toward the door side, but right into the basement ceiling. No turns or bends.

DanNJanice

OK, thanks for the info. I will have to take a look next time I am up on the roof.

Shelly S

I’m thinking of using a metal box on the roof so I don’t have to worry about the sun degrading it. I found this one on Amazon pretty reasonable. Tocretoare Outdoor Electrical Junction Box, 12 x 10 x 6'' NEMA 4X Enclosure Box, Wall Mounted IP66 Waterproof & Dustproof Lockable Metal Junction Box… https://a.co/d/32vnHSo

Shelly S

What Mike said.... mine comes down more toward the door side, but right into the basement ceiling. No turns or bends.
I have a Valor 41V15 and mine comes down right on top of my water heater. You can see it with a flash light if you look to the rear of the coach. I was told it was behind the nautilus panel. It actually is not close for my short arms.

Attachments

• IMG_3903.jpeg
    IMG_3903.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 6

Shelly S

I have a Valor 41V15 and mine comes down right on top of my water heater. You can see it with a flash light if you look to the rear of the coach. I was told it was behind the nautilus panel. It actually is not close for my short arms.
I zoomed in for the photo so I could see exactly how it was landing.

Shelly S

This is exactly what I did in my 32RLS. I abandoned the OEM roof penetration and switched to the PVC pipe roof access. That way, I know exactly how the wire is routed, and that all connections are sound. There is now just uninterrupted wire (no splices) running from the roof penetration box to the solar controller. It was not hard at all, and I'll sleep easier.
View attachment 1395
Paul where did you get your bus bars?

Shelly S

View attachment 1395
So leaving the 1.5” did you just go across your basement and into the front storage area where your controller is?

CornCrib

So leaving the 1.5” did you just go across your basement and into the front storage area where your controller is?
Ya, basically. I ran the wires to the front wall, then toward the door side wall and penetrated into the front storage compartment at the top corner