• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Basement hatch doors

GERBINATOR

There is nothing on the hatch doors to keep them from swinging open.There are magnets on the door latches but the hardware on the propane tank doors doesn’t allow basement hatch doors to fully open so the magnets don’t touch anything. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

GERBINATOR

We don’t have the rv yet but noticed this upon close inspection at the dealers. The photo is of the latch with the bump being the magnet. Unfortunately the closing hardware on the propane door sticks out enough that they doesn’t allow the basement door to fully open.

Attachments

• E47209D0-91A8-4B2F-A886-3A98FC34A2F0.jpeg
    E47209D0-91A8-4B2F-A886-3A98FC34A2F0.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 14

kmac7800

I guess I do not understand your question. Perhaps you can post the trailer model, and perhaps the URL where it is being sold?
This is the picture of our DS (door side) basement door. The smaller door on the right is propane. The slam latches magnetically latch to the 2 black nubs above and to the left of the speaker in the picture. That holds the basement door up. As you can see, on this 310RL the basement door is not close to interacting with the propane door.

//KMac

basement_door.jpg

Whitewolf

Gerbinator-
I also am unsure what you are referencing. The propane doors swing to the front of the RV. This way, if a door comes loose while traveling, the wind will hold it closed.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
.........Unfortunately the closing hardware on the propane door sticks out enough that they doesn’t allow the basement door to fully open.
I think you need to go back to a dealer and look again and take some pictures. That will really help us with your question/concern.

Shelly S

There is nothing on the hatch doors to keep them from swinging open.There are magnets on the door latches but the hardware on the propane tank doors doesn’t allow basement hatch doors to fully open so the magnets don’t touch anything. Has this been an issue for anyone else?
Yes we have the same issue.

Shelly S

I think you need to go back to a dealer and look again and take some pictures. That will really help us with your question/concern.
The issue is there are built in magnets on the latch handles for the pass through doors. However, there is nothing for them to attach to when you open the door all the way. They do not make contact with any type of ferrous metal. Therefore the door just swings.

Shelly S

I guess I do not understand your question. Perhaps you can post the trailer model, and perhaps the URL where it is being sold?
This is the picture of our DS (door side) basement door. The smaller door on the right is propane. The slam latches magnetically latch to the 2 black nubs above and to the left of the speaker in the picture. That holds the basement door up. As you can see, on this 310RL the basement door is not close to interacting with the propane door.

//KMac

View attachment 975
Your door opens to the north (top) our doors open to the east(right)

kmac7800

Google is my friend. I have found a couple of models where the basement door on the "door side" opens to the right. And from the pictures, I see they do not offer a magnetic hold. I am not sure why you would need one as nothing can "fall" to the left and boink you on your head. However if the wind is an issue, and you want to use the magnetic latch, you can get some of these from Amazon. I used them on our previous RV without issue.

Good luck!

//KMac