• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

36V11 Suspension Upgrade

lunnent

Has anyone upgraded the suspension system in their 5th wheel? I have a 22 36V11, tired of every stop involves replacing screws and cleaning sawdust and fixing broken items.

Whitewolf

I ordered Sumo Springs base on a video from the Wayward Waggs.

I haven't installed them yet on our 340RL, but I will at one of our first stops heading south in January.

Upvote 0

Whitewolf

Will do. It won't be till the first week or so of January. At the second stop I'll un-winterize, install the filters and softener and then the springs. I really want to install them before we leave. The first 2 days is a little over 800 miles. Depends on how much I feel like laying under the 340 in the snow. :unsure: There's other videos out there showing results others have had. The ones I've watched have been positive.

Upvote 0

Trent Mills

We got the Moryde Independant Suspension (IS) on our 2022 340RL. We can tell a difference in towing. The trailer does not "Bottom out" now like it did before the IS while towing on rough highways (Interstate). Tire wear is very even.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lunnent

We got the Moryde Independant Suspension (IS) on our 2022 340RL. We can tell a difference in towing. The trailer does not "Bottom out" now like it did before the IS while towing on rough highways (Interstate). Tire wear is very even.
I checked those out and looks like a fantastic fix but seems to be a little on the expensive side. So do you feel it was well worth the expense? Did you take it to the factory location to get it installed?

Upvote 0

Trent Mills

We think it was worth the expense. We plan on boondocking a lot but I never thought it would payoff on the roads and interstates too! We planned to get it when we bought the rig. We got the install done at the Elkhart Morryde factory.

Upvote 0

Mike Ki

I ordered Sumo Springs base on a video from the Wayward Waggs.

I haven't installed them yet on our 340RL, but I will at one of our first stops heading south in January.
I have a couple of questions on the Sumo springs. 1. Did you have the 5.3" to 6.55" clearance between the spring plate and the frame that the manufacturer lists? Our 37V13 only has about 4.75". 2. Did you get the springs installed? If you did, what's your opinion of the springs?

Upvote 0

Whitewolf

So far I'm I'm very happy with them. I installed the 'black' ones. Never measured the space between axle and frame. I held one up while the 340 was only supported by the front legs, simulating being hooked up. The Sumo Springs were longer than the space and I thought 'Great! I don't have to add a spacer.'
We've traveled about 500 miles with them in and in my opinion, if you don't want to go the I.S. route, these are worth it. There's a different 'feel'. The 340 'feels' more in sync or in tune with the truck.
We've hit some serious bumps and yes, some of the things were jostled around. But we think there's a lot less.

Upvote 0

lunnent

We recently installed the TSS-107-47 black springs and though we have not made any trips yet just transporting over a few miles there seems to be a very noticeable change. I will post once we have made a long haul but I am confident these will make a significant improvement.

Upvote 0

Wtrskier

We got our 32RLS in July 2023 and have not put too many road miles on it yet since we park it at a lake for the summer. We will be travelling from BC to Yuma in Jan and I am considering the install of the black ones as well. Like Mike Ki above I have questions regarding the gap between spring plate and frame not being 5.33”. Ours is only about 4.5”.
Has anyone on the site installed them on a 32RLS and can you report on the success.

Upvote 0

CornCrib

We got our 32RLS in July 2023 and have not put too many road miles on it yet since we park it at a lake for the summer. We will be travelling from BC to Yuma in Jan and I am considering the install of the black ones as well. Like Mike Ki above I have questions regarding the gap between spring plate and frame not being 5.33”. Ours is only about 4.5”.
Has anyone on the site installed them on a 32RLS and can you report on the success.
I've got them and they are working well. After install, you want them to be compressed at least 1/2" .. Per SS ... so you should be in good shape.

Upvote 0

Wtrskier

Well, that makes it interesting, I was on the chat line with them this morning and was told they would not work. If I trimmed the Coroplast off at contact area as someone else(maybe you?) I would then have a gap of about 4 3/4”. The difference is then about 1/2” too small of a gap.
According to the person I was chatting with, their engineer said too small of a gap could compromise the ride and make it more bouncy or harsh. That kind of makes sense. Maybe I will call them and talk to an actual person.
I appreciate your experience and input and will reread the thread as well
Thanks
Dale

Upvote 0

CornCrib

Well, that makes it interesting, I was on the chat line with them this morning and was told they would not work. If I trimmed the Coroplast off at contact area as someone else(maybe you?) I would then have a gap of about 4 3/4”. The difference is then about 1/2” too small of a gap.
According to the person I was chatting with, their engineer said too small of a gap could compromise the ride and make it more bouncy or harsh. That kind of makes sense. Maybe I will call them and talk to an actual person.
I appreciate your experience and input and will reread the thread as well
Thanks
Dale
Ya .. that is interesting. I'm got mine installed with a single spacer. I used the jacks to increase the separation, but had no problem getting them in. I did have to move my propane line on the drivers side, but everything needed was included in the kit. (the below pic does not show the spacer installed. I added later per the advice of SS, once they saw these pics).
FD0997BB-FB87-41ED-A10E-BBED9721E874_1_105_c.jpeg

Upvote 0

Wtrskier

Well, I called super springs this morning to talk to them about the gap for installation. The advisor I spoke with stated the 5.3-6.5” gap was to get the springs in. He also mentioned the 1/4” - 1/2” tension load was required.
Unfortunately, he said the 4 3/4” gap was too small for the design of the sumo springs. With the gap I have the sumo springs would be under about 1” of tension load and that it may hamper the ride or basically make them ineffective. Guess I will pass on this solution at this time.
Our previous trailer had shocks installed from the factory and that seemed to really help the ride characteristics of the trailer. Adding shocks to our 32rls would require finding someone to weld on a mount. So far the ride is pretty good but I was looking at ways to ensure there were no suspension issues down the road.
Thanks for your help Paul.

Upvote 0

Mike in North Wales

Wtrskier,
Are they looking for that dimension before or after you load the coach with all of your stuff? I would think they are looking for an unloaded dimension, no?

I may dig deeper into this for our coach. I'm considering an IS upgrade, but Sumo Springs are easier on the budget. Many Allies have installed them with success.

Upvote 0

Wtrskier

The person I spoke with said the gap was measured as it sits ready for travel. The gap is to place the springs in. I think if the gap was more than 6.55” they also would not recommend them. Between the 2 numbers it sounds like you use spacers to fill the gap and create the required 1/2” load on them.
I think going IS is too costly for me.

Upvote 0