• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Will this be enough truck for use with Paradigm 340RL?

BryanValRox

Hi Folks, the answer to your question lies within the numbers.
I would suggest that you look at your door tag on your truck and see what the GVWR, Axle, Tire, Payload, and GCWR numbers are. Then compare to the specs and actual numbers from the given trailer that you are looking at. Specific to the trailer, your are concerned with hitch/pin weight and GCWR and actual trailer weight.
Also, sounds like you have a short bed and the trailer has a rotating pin box so you are aware of possible cab clearance issues when turning.
Please remember that EVERYTHING that goes into or on the truck reduces the available payload capacity. And EVERYTHING that goes into the trailer impacts the numbers to some degree.
As a example, some hitches weight @ 300lbs and that reduces your payload by the same as soon as you install it.

Remember trailer specs are usually listed for base models and if you spec extras, like washer dryer or generator options, they will have a big impact on your trailer pin weight. Don’t ask me how I know;).

You're going to need air bags to level out your rear end when pulling this rv.
Thank ypu for your reply. Im a newbie at this. Front GAWR is 5,600. Rear GAWR is 6,600. With this new info, do you suppose i do indeed need air bags? Thanks for any advice.

bhidalgo

Hey Ya'll,
What is the CARGO CAPACITY of the truck? Info is on the driver's door frame sticker labeled "Tire and Loading Information."

If you can post a picture of both the Tire and Loading Information sticker and the one you got the GAWR info off of, that will show what the truck can do. That data is used to help calculate the weight limits your truck SHOULD be able to handle safely.

Airbags will help level out your truck with your rig connected. However, they will not add to the weight-handling capacities of the truck.

//Bill

This a spec sheet I’m also investigating. Thank you one and all for training and teaching a newbie. I knew all and everything about Class A diesel pushers. IMG_8694.png

bhidalgo

I’d say no. But it’s just my opinion. I used a program called RV Tow Check to run the numbers off the stickers from your truck.

Based on a loaded RV weight of 16,350, your truck’s specs, and passenger/cargo/gear/hitch/ fuel estimates of 600lbs you’re over cargo capacity of truck by about 250 lbs.

I’d wait and get a bigger truck first.
That is exactly what I did before we got our 310RL. We went from a ‘21 F250 to a ‘22 F350 and all is good.

Good luck - - Bill

BryanValRox

WoodTurner, these pictures contain the numbers that you need to guide your decision for a given trailer.
Check out the website https://RVSafety.com
This is a company passionate about weights and ratings. They often set up portable scales at RV rallies and provide weighting services.
They have an advantage over CAT SCALE’s as they have portable equipment that is capable of determining the weight of each wheel(which is important). Most folks don’t have easy access to wheel end weighting, so the next best thing is to use the commercial CAT scales at truck stops and use the axles weight numbers to determine where they stand.
A reminder, everything you place in or on that truck reduces payload capacity.(yourself, your spouse, your pets, the hitch, tools, cross box, bed cover etc etc etc.) The goal would be to be within your numbers BUT have some margin for tummy comfort.

I will second Bill’s comments regarding the air bag comment. while it might help level things, it does not increase the ratings that have been established by the manufactor for a given vehicle. Also, just in case I wasn’t clear above, it will reduce your available payload as well;)

In no way am I making any judgements on anyone that uses air bags(they have their purpose), folks make their own decisions, based on their individual needs and I can and do respect that.