• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Which truck to buy.

raboud

We just received, about 10 days ago our Paradigm 340RL. We bought the cart before the horse thinking we can find a truck to easily pull the 5th wheel.

Now I'm trying to find a decent truck to pull the 5th wheel. Problem is I'm looking at the F350 and RAM 3500 and neither truck seems to have the required towing capacity to pull a 16,500 5th wheel. Am I missing something?

I'm looking for a truck (Doesn't have to be Ford or Dodge) that has about 15-20% added capacity of the 5th wheel weight. I want a diesel engine and exhausted assisted brakes, etc. We live in Southern California so mountain towing will be in play here. The smallest hill to get over out of Southern California is 4-5000' level.

Any recommendations. FYI, I've had 14 vehicles over the lifetime and 6 of them have been Fords - so I have an infinity towards Ford.

Thanks!

PS - Any former bubbleheads in this group?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
We also have a 340RL and LOVE it!! We tow with a 2022 F-450 DRW and it never breaks a sweat. Living in PNW we also have large mountain passes. I would suggest any truck you get be a DRW. I know folks use SRW's but I had a F-350 SRW a while back and our prior RV (Heartland Bighorn) would push the truck on corners.

Here are the specs for Ford
1699321113665.png

Bozo

We just received, about 10 days ago our Paradigm 340RL. We bought the cart before the horse thinking we can find a truck to easily pull the 5th wheel.

Now I'm trying to find a decent truck to pull the 5th wheel. Problem is I'm looking at the F350 and RAM 3500 and neither truck seems to have the required towing capacity to pull a 16,500 5th wheel. Am I missing something?

I'm looking for a truck (Doesn't have to be Ford or Dodge) that has about 15-20% added capacity of the 5th wheel weight. I want a diesel engine and exhausted assisted brakes, etc. We live in Southern California so mountain towing will be in play here. The smallest hill to get over out of Southern California is 4-5000' level.

Any recommendations. FYI, I've had 14 vehicles over the lifetime and 6 of them have been Fords - so I have an infinity towards Ford.

Thanks!

PS - Any former bubbleheads in this group?
I am currently pulling my 20k gvwr valor with a 21 ram 3500. More than plenty, and then some, for this trailer.