• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Westlake Tires - anyone had issue with them?

CornCrib

CornCrib - Mine looked good visually too, that's how I got talked out of making the change. I learned my lesson that visual does not work as a good decision tool on these tires. After the blow out I had all of them changed and the tire dealer commented that the tires did not look bad and were within date codes. Should have followed my gut and changed them - would have saved me dollars and time replacing the skirting................
Well, despite my hyper focus, the tire fairy bit us. Time for new tires all around.
We were 3.5 miles into our trip, having just visually inspected the tires and checked pressure before taking off. Driving 55mph on a road in good repair. Should've stuck to the "replace at 10k plan", but decided to push for another 2.5k.
494A5F94-7C97-4FDC-BEC2-E26B88A69852_4_5005_c.jpeg

dwcfish

If you are going to file a claim with lionshead be sure and look at their claim form requirements, you will need a bunch of info off the damaged tire including pictures, also note that if you have skirting damage Alliance has changed the skirting color on the Avenue line. I had to order some from them for my damage and they indicated that they were still stocking the old color, but maybe not forever.

kmac7800

We picked up our 2020 (2021?) 310RL in March of 2020, and by August this happened. We replaced all 4 after I got the rig repaired.

//KMac

IMG_0745.JPEGIMG_0746.JPEG

CornCrib

I decided to go with Hankook Vantra TH31s (x5). Having them mounted at Discount Tire in central FL tomorrow. $1550 all in.

I decided to go with Hankook Vantra TH31s (x5). Having them mounted at Discount Tire in central FL tomorrow. $1550 all in.
Thinking this might be a good choice for my 370FB, since they have a higher index rated than Goodyear G614's. Which did you choose rating did you go with on TH31's?

We had a tire self destruct on a previous camper. Always super vigilant with tire pressure and temps. No warning at all. Did a great deal of cosmetic damage when it blew. Switched to Good Year Endurance as soon as we got home. Get the Westlakes off your RV ASAP would be my advice.
I had a boat trailer with Westlake tires and blew three of them in one year. Take them off, they are China BOMBSo_O. Goodyear Endurance is the only one I will ever use....

Bozo

Funny, I have westlakes on the dump trailer and have had no problems. I have used other china bombs that were like installing balloons. Also the dump trailer fenders can easily withstand a blowout…point is, I am getting close to being at wear bars and I will probably go with sailuns as I had good luck with those on the last camper. Something that I think people may overlook is the max speed ratings. A lot of these tires are 75-78 max. Some lower.

Lantley

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the group. Just Purchased a 2022 390MP.
One of my first task was to get rid of the OEM Westlake tires. I had a blowout on my last rig when it was just 6 months old.
I now know better than to trust the OEM bombs even for a short while. You also can't judge a cheap tire but its cover! They may look fine but they are ready to explode!
The real issue is the collateral body damage. Experiencing a blow out going down the road is bad enough. But having to deal with the body damage afterwards is reason enough not to take a chance.
Don't gamble with body damage and finding body parts.
Go with Sailun 637's you won't be disappointed. Compare Sailun to the others. You can see and feel the difference vs. the others

Bozo

I second the sailun 637 recommendatio. I put them on my last trailer. Good equivalent to Goodyear.