• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Westlake Tires - anyone had issue with them?

F4tinman

Has anyone else had a blow out with a Westlake tire? We had a blow out with only about 2500 miles on these tires. I did some research on reviews on these tires and everything I read said these tires are a ticking time bomb. With that being said, I’m going to replace all four tires on my rig. We have a 2022 370fb, Alliance told me they have not heard of these tires being a issue, which I find hard to believe with all the bad reviews on the internet.

Attachments

• IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg
    673.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    588.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1233.jpeg
    IMG_1233.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    664.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    815.3 KB · Views: 16

dwcfish

Can't speak to the Westlake brand...... But here is how the Castlerock tire held up on our Avenue..... Skirting repair still to be completed....PXL_20230603_223704395.jpg

dwcfish

Probably around 12,000. And I am meticulous about pressure and weight. I check the pressure every morning before traveling. That tire was a complete blow out, could hear it in my truck. Going to cost me about $550 to do the repair on the skirting myself. I did get about $125 back from Lionshead.

GriffLab

We had a tire self destruct on a previous camper. Always super vigilant with tire pressure and temps. No warning at all. Did a great deal of cosmetic damage when it blew. Switched to Good Year Endurance as soon as we got home. Get the Westlakes off your RV ASAP would be my advice.

dwcfish

My advice also, I had an appointment to get them changed and got talked out of it, 60 miles later I was on the side of the road doing a tire change.....

Bozo

I
I am no tire expert so I went back to Goodyear Endurance, that is what Alliance is now putting on the Avenue line
I asked to see if anyone had any long term experience with them. I had sailun on my old unit because they were rated on par with Goodyear at a whole lot less money. They ran cool and didn’t present any problems, but my trips were only 200 miles or less at a time. Those tires were way overrated for my rig.(lots of safety margin). Now that I am looking at longer trips, wondering if I should jettison the west lakes to the dump trailer and put on some new sailuns. I have a love/ hate relationship with goodyear.

F4tinman

We had a tire self destruct on a previous camper. Always super vigilant with tire pressure and temps. No warning at all. Did a great deal of cosmetic damage when it blew. Switched to Good Year Endurance as soon as we got home. Get the Westlakes off your RV ASAP would be my advice.
Already replaced them

F4tinman

They don’t make the Endurance in a 14ply or I would have went with them.

F4tinman

I

I asked to see if anyone had any long term experience with them. I had sailun on my old unit because they were rated on par with Goodyear at a whole lot less money. They ran cool and didn’t present any problems, but my trips were only 200 miles or less at a time. Those tires were way overrated for my rig.(lots of safety margin). Now that I am looking at longer trips, wondering if I should jettison the west lakes to the dump trailer and put on some new sailuns. I have a love/ hate relationship with goodyear.
Do some research yourself on the internet, nothing but bad reviews on the Westlakes, it sucks that I had to replace four tires on a unit that is only year old with 2500 miles, but worth the peace of mind. Can’t believe Alliance put such a bad rated tire on their units, putting their customers and products at risk, probably to save a few dollars, now I’m out $1200 on a fairly new unit.

Turfengineer

Westlake is another brand that I am not familiar with but my Avenue came with Tamarack F rated tires. I haven’t been able to find very many reviews on this brand either, so I am concerned.

Pre-emptive replacement is a good and expensive option.

Bozo

Do some research yourself on the internet, nothing but bad reviews on the Westlakes, it sucks that I had to replace four tires on a unit that is only year old with 2500 miles, but worth the peace of mind. Can’t believe Alliance put such a bad rated tire on their units, putting their customers and products at risk, probably to save a few dollars, now I’m out $1200 on a fairly new unit.
I have experience with the less robust china bombs in the lower rated tires and they, indeed, should be avoided. That said, I have some Chinese tires on my dump trailer that sees very heavy, overloaded service frequently and they have been great, except for the apparent ease of flats. I think heat is the biggest factor affecting tires. On my first trip out with the valor, my truck tires were running somewhat hot, trailer tires, cool. I was concerned, still am, that my tow vehicle tires were hot. Temps I was running in were 98 ambient, pavement, who knows. I also am a believer in dry air for filling tires and making sure they are inflated cold. Any moisture magnifies the pressure rise in the tire as it heats up. I have seen upwards of 12-15psi increase in tire pressures hot. Overinflated tires are bad too. For the short term, I am going to chance these tires for in state runs until next year when I need to ”re-tire“ the dump trailer. At least that should lessen the irritating factor of needing to replace the tires on a brand new rig. I will report back with any issues. Crossing my fingers. Wish me luck.

Bozo

Well, I just went out and looked and mine are sterling, which I believe is another brand by the same parent company of west lake. I don’t recall where I saw this though. I am now researching that. Also, most owners need to be aware that a lot of these tires are only speed rated to 75mph, some less. Over speed and over pressure or over weight can cause tire failure in short order.

CornCrib

Probably around 12,000. And I am meticulous about pressure and weight. I check the pressure every morning before traveling. That tire was a complete blow out, could hear it in my truck. Going to cost me about $550 to do the repair on the skirting myself. I did get about $125 back from Lionshead.
I'm also hyper focused on them. Been feeling good as they are holding up well, visually. Was planning on replacing at 12k-ish .. may move that up to 10k-ish.

dwcfish

CornCrib - Mine looked good visually too, that's how I got talked out of making the change. I learned my lesson that visual does not work as a good decision tool on these tires. After the blow out I had all of them changed and the tire dealer commented that the tires did not look bad and were within date codes. Should have followed my gut and changed them - would have saved me dollars and time replacing the skirting................