• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Welcome to the Cooking for a Group sub-forum

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
This sub-forum was created as a discussion space for those who often find themselves cooking for groups when camping. Discuss things such as large quantity recipes, cooking methods, cookery used, serving and more.

This sub-forum was inspired by forum user @RockDr896. Thank you for that :)

RockDr896

Since I am retired, I have been on a quest to make upscale dishes (Something other than burgers and Dogs) ... I have been doing this stuff for 8 to 10 for a long time, but the RV gang has up'd my game. Here is a sampling....it's been fun and gives me something to do. So to kick this off for discussions of those interested,
Here is what my pre-planning has to address.
1-The mess afterwards (Dishes to be washed), has to be minimized if not eliminated
2-Prep before the trip has to be maximized (So I am not creating dishes and stuck in the kitchen)
3-Own cookware big enough to do the job in one go. Doing things in batches in cold weather is never good
4-Itentify the foods (Mostly starches) with the longer cook times that will hold on a warming tray and cook those first
5-Buy copious amounts of Jack Daniels and have friends who want to discuss anything and everything

Attachments

• 1707260635223.png
    1707260635223.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 6

BryanValRox

Since I am retired, I have been on a quest to make upscale dishes (Something other than burgers and Dogs) ... I have been doing this stuff for 8 to 10 for a long time, but the RV gang has up'd my game. Here is a sampling....it's been fun and gives me something to do. So to kick this off for discussions of those interested,
Here is what my pre-planning has to address.
1-The mess afterwards (Dishes to be washed), has to be minimized if not eliminated
2-Prep before the trip has to be maximized (So I am not creating dishes and stuck in the kitchen)
3-Own cookware big enough to do the job in one go. Doing things in batches in cold weather is never good
4-Itentify the foods (Mostly starches) with the longer cook times that will hold on a warming tray and cook those first
5-Buy copious amounts of Jack Daniels and have friends who want to discuss anything and everything
Agree on all points, I will have one of each please!
Well on second thought maybe more than one of the number 5, or is that really old number 7!

RockDr896

Here is the workhorse cooker I use. It's the Camp chef 90. It has 3 burners @ 30,000 BTU's and it allows me to use the additional modules (2 burner BBQ module (Did 18 Filet Mignon on it) -(2 BURNER FLAT TOP)-(3 BURNER FLAT TOP). So I can griddle or BBQ easily when needed. It also packs down into a small footprint. If I just need 1 burner flat top, I use a cast Iron pan. If I need a 4th burner, I add my turkey fryer @ 36,000 BTU's. The camp chef is a bit pricey, but worth the money, if you are the Iron Chef in your group and enjoy cooking. The cook tops are cast iron, so it took me approx 4 trips to make them non-stick.

Gas Usage: I am experiencing approx one (1) 20lb bottle every 3 trips which are 3 days in duration typically. Because of the BTU's of each burner, I have found that I can not run it any higher than 25% to 30% on the dial. My cooking temps never exceed 450 degrees ideally.

Attachments

• 1707262123685.png
    1707262123685.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 1

RockDr896

Coordinating food items needed, so everyone contributes.
This was a struggle at first, since the group uses a spreadsheet. Spreadsheets are not in everyone's tool bucket.
I settled on the app called "AnyList".
Since then, I have scrapped my spread sheets. It allows me to scrape the recipes online into the app and allow me to edit it, the way I am going to cook it. It also allows me to up size and down size any menu. I can also share my recipes with anyone who wants it. The features are too many to list, but lets say that it has reduced the amount of leftovers. It is also a shopping list, you can divide by store...I am not advertising for them, but I would love to here what others are using.
When we set a menu, I simply put the quantity of each item needed to those in the group.
Okay...that's it.....hope others share