• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Water accumulating in sewer pipe despite system not being used.

MorPep

Hello all,

We have a new 310RL thats parked in our drieway hooked up to electric and water. I've noticed that water is accumulating in the sewer pipe over time, when I took the end cap off I got the surprise. We are new to RV'ing, this is our first, and I'm not sure if this is normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Tom and Kelly B.

Mike2095

I have the same issue with a brand new 31A10. In about 2 days it will accumulate about 2 Gallons of black water. All the waste valves are closed.

Likin' Bikin'

I had the same issue, and fix. The thing now is the sewer hookup is kinda low, so planning to cut off the original valve, put on a 45 deg elbow, and then new shutoff.

Glenn Baker

one of these is your friend. No more surprisesView attachment 1182
I put one on my new Paradigm. I learned that lesson on my last 5th wheel. :) I also got the surprise on my new 295MK. Brand new, brought it home from the dealer... black tank was 3/4 full, and the valve was leaking. Yuk. Was not happy, LO. But now I have that valve in place.

MorPep

Alright so just to be clear, non of the utilities in the RV have ever been used. The unit is bran spankin new. The water that came out of the pipe when I took the cap off was clear. No feces, no urine, no soap etc., I had previously checked the two grey tank valves and black tank valves just to see how they worked they have been closed since. The "suprise" was that there was water in a pipe that, in my mind, should not have been there unless something else drains into it other than the sinks, shower or toilet. I'm thinking maybe AC condesation drains? Are those typically plumbed into the main outflow pipe?
Thanks.

Whitewolf

The A/C condensation runs off the roof into your gutters and drips on the ground. I suspect the water came from Alliance or the dealer testing the system. I'm told Alliance does that on a semi-regular basis.

The first thing I bought (and it was from the dealer the day we picked up the 340) was the valve in the pic that John showed. I also installed one on our previous 2 campers.

When dumping the tanks and with the valves closed, there CAN still be black or grey water in the lines that doesn't drain out completely. Whether sitting in one spot or especially after driving to the next site, the water works it way to the drain cap.

MorPep

The A/C condensation runs off the roof into your gutters and drips on the ground. I suspect the water came from Alliance or the dealer testing the system. I'm told Alliance does that on a semi-regular basis.

The first thing I bought (and it was from the dealer the day we picked up the 340) was the valve in the pic that John showed. I also installed one on our previous 2 campers.

When dumping the tanks and with the valves closed, there CAN still be black or grey water in the lines that doesn't drain out completely. Whether sitting in one spot or especially after driving to the next site, the water works it way to the drain cap.
Makes sense. Thanks.

CornCrib

Might I suggest one of these as well? Or something similar to it.
We have one and use it frequently.
Takes the guesswork out of what might be lurking behind the Valterra valve above.

We installed this, as well as John's solution ... extended the pipe out a bit so the gate valve is right at the edge of the camper, so we don't have to bend too much to get to it (gonna be old some day). The clear pipe lets me see if there is gonna be any surprises (since we installed the Valterra gate, there has been no leaking), as well as allow me to watch the progress of the tank drain/flush. The clear pipe on the right stays on all the time, we just cap it where the hose connects.
Also: You can see the Valterra doing it's job with a bit of water to the left of it.
IMG_1352.jpg