• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Viability of using onboard propane system for a portable dual fuel generator?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Has anyone attempted to use the onboard, low-pressure side of an RV propane system to feed propane to a portable dual fuel generator with the generator's supplied regulator removed?

My goal is to plumb a WEN dual fuel portable gen into the low-pressure side of my Delta and not use the regulator that comes with the generator. I plan to test this before buying needed parts.

If the low-pressure (already regulated) side of the RV's propane system proves inadequate at 11" WC, I plan to separate the 2 tanks (I replaced the 20s with 30s) and plumb the generator regulator to one of the tanks and run a dedicated line to the back of the RV where the generator will live.

Some pics and more insight as to what I'm up to: https://alliancervowners.com/forum/threads/generator-storage-for-delta-251bh.1572/#post-7832

dwcfish

Jim I have a duel fuel portable champion generator. I called Champion about this and was told it would not work. They specifically said I needed to use the propane regulator that came with the generator and it needed to be connected to a tank. The duel fuel generator are great since you don't have to worry about gas, but I have elected to follow the manufacturer advice on this and not connect to the onboard propane system.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Jim I have a duel fuel portable champion generator. I called Champion about this and was told it would not work. They specifically said I needed to use the propane regulator that came with the generator and it needed to be connected to a tank. The duel fuel generator are great since you don't have to worry about gas, but I have elected to follow the manufacturer advice on this and not connect to the onboard propane system.
@dwcfish - thanks for this info. We'll see how my test goes, trying to connect the gen to the RV propane low-pressure side and not using the gen supplied regulator. My fear is just as Champion told you. I believe the gen requires just a bit more pressure than 11" WC the RV regulator regulates too. If that's the case, I'm still committed to splitting my propane bottle and using 1 for the RV systems and one for the gen and use the gen regulator on that bottle. Going to be more costly (30' of LP hose) but will allow me to install the gen where I want it.

BryanValRox

@dwcfish - thanks for this info. We'll see how my test goes, trying to connect the gen to the RV propane low-pressure side and not using the gen supplied regulator. My fear is just as Champion told you. I believe the gen requires just a bit more pressure than 11" WC the RV regulator regulates too. If that's the case, I'm still committed to splitting my propane bottle and using 1 for the RV systems and one for the gen and use the gen regulator on that bottle. Going to be more costly (30' of LP hose) but will allow me to install the gen where I want it.
Hi Jim,
Just a couple of random thoughts on your project.

My suspicions are consistent with what has been posted here already. I would be concerned that the onboard system might not be able to keep up with demand at rated output of your genset. I have to wonder what the effect of FULL SYSTEM DEMAND would be on the LP system as built?(What if Stove, Oven and or griddle, Heater , Water heater and Genset were all operating at once) I would think the genset manufacture would have some fuel FLOW and PRESSURE requirements That might aid your project.

Obviously, things like the flow/pressure regulator rating, Hose ID , length, number and type of fittings factor into the final output at X.

If you choose or have to break out the system, I would suggest using a “Large” ID propane hose, just to help compensate for the length of the run. It will also act in some capacity as an accumulator which might help meet higher demands more easily.

Keep us posted on your testing and final results!

Good Luck! I am sure you will have a positive outcome with whatever direction you choose.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi Jim,
Just a couple of random thoughts on your project.

My suspicions are consistent with what has been posted here already. I would be concerned that the onboard system might not be able to keep up with demand at rated output of your genset. I have to wonder what the effect of FULL SYSTEM DEMAND would be on the LP system as built?(What if Stove, Oven and or griddle, Heater , Water heater and Genset were all operating at once) I would think the genset manufacture would have some fuel FLOW and PRESSURE requirements That might aid your project.

Obviously, things like the flow/pressure regulator rating, Hose ID , length, number and type of fittings factor into the final output at X.

If you choose or have to break out the system, I would suggest using a “Large” ID propane hose, just to help compensate for the length of the run. It will also act in some capacity as an accumulator which might help meet higher demands more easily.

Keep us posted on your testing and final results!

Good Luck! I am sure you will have a positive outcome with whatever direction you choose.
@BryanValRox - thanks for your thoughts on this. A larger hose has been on my mind for volume over that length of run. More and more, I'm leaning towards plumbing this separately to its own tank.

dwcfish

Jim, One other thing to consider, on my Champion generator the regulator has a hose with a fitting that plugs into the generator. This fitting has a barb off to the side that slides into the generator and tells the generator that you are using propane - at least in my case, you cannot use a standard propane quick connect. Originally, I had thought I would be able to just buy a hose and use the quick connects to connect to the BBQ port on the rig and then to the generator. So even if you could use the BBQ port you will need to use the connector that comes on the regulator from the generator manufacturer. This is the other reason I just ended up using a separate tank for the generator. Nothing is as easy as we imagine.....

CornCrib

Jim: I did a somewhat similar thing for my Blackstone griddle. I put a splitter on one tank, splitting before the regulator, then have a portable hose that runs out the bottom of the compartment that connects to an adjustable regulator, then that connects to my Blackstone (I found the adjustable regulator works well when I need to switch between the BS and a Weber grill). You could do something similar ... running a unregulated supply back to the generator, and use the WEN supplied regulator. Downside would be you'd only have the possible capacity of a single one of your tanks, with no cut over available.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Jim, One other thing to consider, on my Champion generator the regulator has a hose with a fitting that plugs into the generator. This fitting has a barb off to the side that slides into the generator and tells the generator that you are using propane - at least in my case, you cannot use a standard propane quick connect. Originally, I had thought I would be able to just buy a hose and use the quick connects to connect to the BBQ port on the rig and then to the generator. So even if you could use the BBQ port you will need to use the connector that comes on the regulator from the generator manufacturer. This is the other reason I just ended up using a separate tank for the generator. Nothing is as easy as we imagine.....
@dwcfish - The LPG inlet on my generator isn't a quick-connect. Rather, it looks to be a standard NPT male flare fitting. Unsure of size (3/8 or 1/2).
IMG_3651 2.jpg

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Jim: I did a somewhat similar thing for my Blackstone griddle. I put a splitter on one tank, splitting before the regulator, then have a portable hose that runs out the bottom of the compartment that connects to an adjustable regulator, then that connects to my Blackstone (I found the adjustable regulator works well when I need to switch between the BS and a Weber grill). You could do something similar ... running a unregulated supply back to the generator, and use the WEN supplied regulator. Downside would be you'd only have the possible capacity of a single one of your tanks, with no cut over available.
Hi Paul - I like the idea of the splitter off the tank. Can you reply with brand/part or link? The adjustable regulator sounds cool too. Can you also reply with brand/part or link?

If I do use the dedicated tank model for the gen, I'm okay with the house only having 1 tank. 30# is a lot for the furnace, stove and water heater for me because:
- We'll mostly cook with an induction burner vs the gas cooktop
- We'll mostly heat (unless off grid) with heat strips in the 2 AC units

CornCrib

Hi Paul - I like the idea of the splitter off the tank. Can you reply with brand/part or link? The adjustable regulator sounds cool too. Can you also reply with brand/part or link?

If I do use the dedicated tank model for the gen, I'm okay with the house only having 1 tank. 30# is a lot for the furnace, stove and water heater for me because:
- We'll mostly cook with an induction burner vs the gas cooktop
- We'll mostly heat (unless off grid) with heat strips in the 2 AC units
Jim:
Here's the adjustable regulator:

and the splitter: