• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Turning On Gas Heat to Water Heater Blows 15A Fuse

divinIN

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2021 390MP. Starting yesterday, at least from what I can tell, when I turn on the gas method to heat the water the 15A fuse immediately blows. The AC option works still. I honestly have no idea where to start troubleshooting and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

divinIN

Clarification on this. The 15A fuse that blows is the water pump. I haven't spent time yet troubleshooting this one as I have four other issues with my Alliance right now that are higher priority.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @divinIN - if I understand you correctly, when you turn the water heater on LP, the fuse to the water pump blows. Is that correct?

At what point does the fuse blow? Immediately upon switching to LP on the water heater? Or when the water heater is switched to LP, then you turn on the water pump switch?

Do you plan to expose the items as part of your trouble shooting?

Couple of thoughts:

1. Consider pulling the switch/control panel off the wall to expose the wiring on the back side. Carefully look over the wiring from the back of the switches for both the water pump and LP water heater. Do they seem to be connected with a common positive wire.

2. Consider looking power wires at the water pump. What color is the stripe leg of power? Is there a circuit number on the wire and what is it?

3. Similar to above, look for the DC power feed to the water heater to determine the color stripe and circuit number.

None of the above will be 'the fix' but understanding how these items are wired is a good step of the troubleshooting process.

Do you own a multimeter? This will be useful as well.

Have you reached out to your dealer on this issue?

divinIN

Hello Jim,

Good morning and thank you for your response. I have had four issues spring up at the same time with my Alliance and the one with my furnace refuses to go away, so this issue with the blown fuse has taken a lower priority. For now I am leaving the electric heat to the water heater on just so the water doesn't freeze.

To answer the questions I can for now:

Your understanding of the reported issue is correct. I have seen the water pump 15A fuse blow, but at various times when switching on the propane gas option for the water heater. I have seen it blow right away and also later, how much later I can't say exactly because I watch it immediately and if it doesn't blow, I move on to something else then notice it later in the day.

1. Thank you, I will do this today and post a picture.
2. I will report back today.
3. Same, will report back today.

I do own a multimeter yes, and I don't have a dealer. I am the second owner of this and had it towed out from Indiana - it is now out of warranty unfortunately. It's on my property now and my son lives in it with his wife and son, but now they live upstairs in my home temporarily because of other issues with the trailer.

Thank you again for the response and I will report back as soon as I can.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@divinIN - thanks for the update. While you're coach is not in warranty, Alliance RV will still provide email and phone support of your Alliance RV. If you've not already done so, send an email to service@alliancerv.com. Include your name, phone and last 6 of your VIN. Describe the issues separately and ask for their thoughts and process on troubleshooting them. Perhaps with some ideas from our team and from owners here, you can solve it all - one issue at a time.

I do understand your issue priority. Closest alligator to the boat gets taken care of first :)

divinIN

Update on this for everyone. It's nice but a little frustrating because I don't know what caused the issue, but it went away. During my troubleshooting of my furnace issue that was more important I performed a significant amount of re-arranging of the mess that was in our main storage compartment mechanical room, so to speak. I'm going to create another post detailing what I did with just some overall quality of build suggestions to Alliance because it just seems like sloppy work, and as a result it was very difficult to make heads or tails of things. I corrected a couple of 180 bends in our furnace ducting and just poor routing of the ducting overall, which really helped my furnace output too.

Perhaps during all the rerouting of wires and such I "fixed" this, I'm not sure. If it does come back I will report back.