• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Traeger Ranger

CornCrib

I've got the Traeger Scout (precursor to the Ranger). We use it often. Only downside is it does not hold temp well, and will surge up at times (set at 185, surges to 400+), so it has to be babysat. From my research, it seems the Ranger is less prone to that issue. Will be interested to hear your experience.

RockDr896

I just had a friend use one on a trip. It flared up and has apparently almost burned his RV down. I caught the food in time. While trying to save the food, it looked like the grease wasn't draining right. Have you had this problem, or was it most likely operator error on his part? If operator error, is it the control board causing the problem?

Glenn Baker

I just had a friend use one on a trip. It flared up and has apparently almost burned his RV down. I caught the food in time. While trying to save the food, it looked like the grease wasn't draining right. Have you had this problem, or was it most likely operator error on his part? If operator error, is it the control board causing the problem?
For it to flare up, the grease would have to overflow down to the burn chamber. If the drip tray is installed correctly, it should drain fine. I also have drip pans to keep it cleaner.

CornCrib

For it to flare up, the grease would have to overflow down to the burn chamber. If the drip tray is installed correctly, it should drain fine. I also have drip pans to keep it cleaner.
I agree. Or pool on the drain pan and not flow into the bucket. It's key to make sure it's set on a surface that promotes the draining to the rear. That can be an issue when camping, as a nice level spot may have to be created.

Mike in North Wales

We have a Ranger. It holds temp really well. It isn't sealed like a real smoker, but it works well enough to get a good smoke ring. Because it isn't sealed, and the heat is concentrated in a small area, the meat can lose moisture if you don't baste it often while smoking.

I cooked a tomahawk steak and 2 ribeyes July 4th weekend. They were 2 1/2" and 2" thick, respectively. They were AWESOME! I did have a flare up that sent flames about 2ft straight out the back of the grill, so make sure you keep it away from your coach!

I've used both the grill and the griddle tops. I like the way it cooks.

Last edited:

bhidalgo

Had a Ranger initially. Smoked some ribs and grease flared which prompted the fire extinguisher! Now have a Pit Boss - less expensive than Traeger and does the same job.

bhidalgo

Being full-time on the road in our Paradigm, one thing I have really missed is being able to smoke. My favorite is Tri-Tip.
During Prime-Day on Amazon, I ordered a Traeger Ranger. Just about the right size, but a bit heavy at 50lbs. I have never used a pellet grill/smoker before, so it will be a bit of an experiment.
This is the one I bought. https://www.amazon.com/Traeger-Grills-Ranger-TBT18KLD-Pellet/dp/B07CT4FPG6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=U28GLRJSZIU&keywords=traeger+ranger&qid=1689793785&sprefix=traeger+ranger,aps,170&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Pellet grills are great. Play with pellet flavors...you'll be surprised at what combinations work and which ones to stay away from. I make homemade Louisiana Andouille Sausage (an old family recipe from back home) and use a Pecan/Cherry pellet mix to smoke them.

Glenn Baker

Pellet grills are great. Play with pellet flavors...you'll be surprised at what combinations work and which ones to stay away from. I make homemade Louisiana Andouille Sausage (an old family recipe from back home) and use a Pecan/Cherry pellet mix to smoke them.
I usually use fruit tree blends with my woods, as my wife does not like Hickory, etc... I aim for a sweeter smoke, rather than a slightly bitter.