• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Towing an Avenue 30rls

Whitewolf

Please note up front that we have a Paradigm 340RL.

Nothing wrong with asking questions. Whether or not you're committed, well, that's up to your girlfriend. :ROFLMAO:

How's the cost of Diesel affecting you and your trips etc? - Shirley and I were just talking about that today during the final leg of our trip. And that's a very good question. We just returned from a 1 month 5000 mile trip. 3200 towing and the rest sightseeing. Fuel expense was about $1600. Fuel is at least double from a year ago. So last year the same trip would have been somewhere around $800. We're on a fixed income with a little in reserve. We'll go again, just tighten our belts in other places. Too much of this wonderful country we want to see.

What trim did you get and did you just go with what came with that trim or did you get more options. - Ours is a Laramie 4x4. 4 door, single rear wheel. Laramies are nicely loaded. My previous '14 was a Laramie. I got several extra options. Some were just do-dads. Electric folding mirrors, bed view camera. I did get the 5th wheel prep (which is also a goose neck prep) and rear air bags. Also electric hide-a-way steps (similar to Amp Research) and I had the bed sprayed (similar to Line-X).

Any options that you got that you wish you hadn't have and vice-versa? - Nothing I can think of that I don't like. A couple of things I wish I had are the trailer tire pressure monitor and front camera. I ordered it with the tire pressure monitor but due to parts shortage it was either take as is or wait. I took and wish I had waited. I didn't want the surround view camera but there are times when I wish I knew exactly how close I am to something in front of me.

What was your available payload when you got the truck? What is it now? - Payload is 4100 lbs. Our weight & the weight of the hitch is 450, so that leaves 3650.

Did your truck come with the 5th wheel hitch pkg? - Yes, I ordered it with that.

Are you at 20% pin weight? - Good question. I don't really know as I haven't been across a Cat Scale yet. I would imagine I'm pretty darn close to being at or over. We don't have the washer/dryer or dishwasher. We don't carry many clothes opting to do laundry once a week. We don't carry much food preferring to shop every few days. We have LOTS of empty cupboards. If we did things differently, I'd probably get a duelly. In its present configuration, the truck pulls and stops fine.

Ask more if you got 'em.

Guidotheguide

Please note up front that we have a Paradigm 340RL.

Nothing wrong with asking questions. Whether or not you're committed, well, that's up to your girlfriend. :ROFLMAO:

How's the cost of Diesel affecting you and your trips etc? - Shirley and I were just talking about that today during the final leg of our trip. And that's a very good question. We just returned from a 1 month 5000 mile trip. 3200 towing and the rest sightseeing. Fuel expense was about $1600. Fuel is at least double from a year ago. So last year the same trip would have been somewhere around $800. We're on a fixed income with a little in reserve. We'll go again, just tighten our belts in other places. Too much of this wonderful country we want to see.

What trim did you get and did you just go with what came with that trim or did you get more options. - Ours is a Laramie 4x4. 4 door, single rear wheel. Laramies are nicely loaded. My previous '14 was a Laramie. I got several extra options. Some were just do-dads. Electric folding mirrors, bed view camera. I did get the 5th wheel prep (which is also a goose neck prep) and rear air bags. Also electric hide-a-way steps (similar to Amp Research) and I had the bed sprayed (similar to Line-X).

Any options that you got that you wish you hadn't have and vice-versa? - Nothing I can think of that I don't like. A couple of things I wish I had are the trailer tire pressure monitor and front camera. I ordered it with the tire pressure monitor but due to parts shortage it was either take as is or wait. I took and wish I had waited. I didn't want the surround view camera but there are times when I wish I knew exactly how close I am to something in front of me.

What was your available payload when you got the truck? What is it now? - Payload is 4100 lbs. Our weight & the weight of the hitch is 450, so that leaves 3650.

Did your truck come with the 5th wheel hitch pkg? - Yes, I ordered it with that.

Are you at 20% pin weight? - Good question. I don't really know as I haven't been across a Cat Scale yet. I would imagine I'm pretty darn close to being at or over. We don't have the washer/dryer or dishwasher. We don't carry many clothes opting to do laundry once a week. We don't carry much food preferring to shop every few days. We have LOTS of empty cupboards. If we did things differently, I'd probably get a duelly. In its present configuration, the truck pulls and stops fine.

Ask more if you got 'em.
Thanks much for the info, I appreciate you taking the time.

Guidotheguide

Thanks much for the info, I appreciate you taking the time.
Oh , I just thought of a couple more.

You mentioned wanting a dually next time, why is that? Don't they suck on fuel mileage?

Do yo know if the tire monitor sensors in the trailer tires sync up with the trucks tire monitor system?

JWalker

Just a note. Ford (not sure of Ram & GM) is not taking anymore order for the 2022 HDs. I believe GM changes to 2023 in July/Aug. Something to think about.

Guidotheguide

Just a note. Ford (not sure of Ram & GM) is not taking anymore order for the 2022 HDs. I believe GM changes to 2023 in July/Aug. Something to think about.
That's okay, I'm not getting one for another year, and I'm planning on getting a used one. Who knows what the market will be like.

Whitewolf

Oh , I just thought of a couple more.

You mentioned wanting a dually next time, why is that? Don't they suck on fuel mileage?

Do yo know if the tire monitor sensors in the trailer tires sync up with the trucks tire monitor system?
Pin weight of a 340RL is quite heavy. If we were to add washer/dryer and fill the cupboards, then I would want a duelly because of the extra pin weight. I don't see that happening tho.

On a Ram, if you order or buy a truck with the ability to monitor the trailer, it does sync up. It's something that can NOT be added after. I've checked. :(

Guidotheguide

Pin weight of a 340RL is quite heavy. If we were to add washer/dryer and fill the cupboards, then I would want a duelly because of the extra pin weight. I don't see that happening tho.

On a Ram, if you order or buy a truck with the ability to monitor the trailer, it does sync up. It's something that can NOT be added after. I've checked. :(
In this day and age you'd think that adding it later would not be a big deal. Sometimes I wonder what their thought process is. Chevy can't seem to make a truck with a locking gas cap or even a locking fuel door; at least on the 2020 Silverado 1500 LT.

Whitewolf

Yeah, I didn't think adding the monitor later would be a big deal. Apparently it is. Also Ram diesels don't have a locking fuel door or even a fuel cap at all. I can get a locking one from Geno's Garage and with the price of fuel I may do that.

JWalker

Depending how far you want to go back, you can get diesels pre DEF fluid. I hear say of a possible shortage on that in the future.

Whitewolf

You're correct. There may be a shortage of DEF in the near future. I read an article on this and not only is urea used in making DEF, it's also used in some fertilizers. The articles said the two biggest producers of urea is Russia and China.

JWalker

Also, if you look into Ram, there is a difference in motor/Transmission and rear suspension between the 2500 & 3500.

You can only get the HO Cummins & Aisin Transmission in the 3500. The 2500 has the standard 68rfe transmission and Cummins with a little less torque #s.

The 3500 has leaf spring packs. 2500 has air suspension instead of leaf springs.

Whitewolf

3500 also comes with the 68rfe trans. When I traded in the '14 for a '21, I decided I didn't want the HO. Especially since it was $3000 more. I just couldn't justify it for what we have and do. I towed many miles with the '14 and had 170,000 total on it when I traded it in. Same engine and trans in the '21.

Guidotheguide

So what are you finding personally on the current DEF situation? Any problems finding it recently?

I haven't done enough digging on the different brands, trims etc to make a decision yet but y'all have given me food for thought, thank you.

Guidotheguide

Yeah, I didn't think adding the monitor later would be a big deal. Apparently it is. Also Ram diesels don't have a locking fuel door or even a fuel cap at all. I can get a locking one from Geno's Garage and with the price of fuel I may do that.
What's up with them not having a gas cap. I know they can just puncture the gas tank if they want fuel but it will help keep the riff raff from dumping crud in the gas tank. I wonder if there's a Genos clone website for Chevys? At the present, I'm only putting in 1/3 a tank, just in case someone sucks the tank dry, it won't hurt as much😭

Whitewolf

MY '14 was the same way. I don't know when before that they made the switch. I don't know about Chevy. There's gotta be someone out there that makes a locking cap.

Whitewolf

So what are you finding personally on the current DEF situation? Any problems finding it recently?

I haven't done enough digging on the different brands, trims etc to make a decision yet but y'all have given me food for thought, thank you.
Sorry I missed this post. :rolleyes: On our recent trip, I didn't experience any problems getting DEF. I did see some higher prices tho.

Enjoy your search for your truck. Since you don't appear to be brand specific, if you ask for opinions, you'll get a fair amount. All from people that are brand specific. :ROFLMAO: One word of caution, be sure to get enough truck, not the minimum you think you might need. My neighbor that bought a 2500, he's thinking he should have bought a 3500.

Guidotheguide

Sorry I missed this post. :rolleyes: On our recent trip, I didn't experience any problems getting DEF. I did see some higher prices tho.

Enjoy your search for your truck. Since you don't appear to be brand specific, if you ask for opinions, you'll get a fair amount. All from people that are brand specific. :ROFLMAO: One word of caution, be sure to get enough truck, not the minimum you think you might need. My neighbor that bought a 2500, he's thinking he should have bought a 3500.
That's good advice, especially when youre going full time like us.
That's what I tell people when they buy a boat, buy more than you think you'll need, because you'll need it.

As stated previously, the difference in price between the 2500 and 3500 is negligible. I mean, what's another 1500.00 dollars when your spending 70,000.

RockingRK

Averaging 9 mpg towing our 390 MP; 2351 miles right now (Florida to Arizona).
2022 Chevy 3500 HD High Country DRW; Duramax with Allison 10 speed; 3:42 rear axle; 4WD. The 10 speed does a great job compensating for the low rear axle ratio when starting from a stop and on hills.
Gross combined: 26,200
Trailer weight: 16,210
Pin weight: 3650 (22%)
Here's my weight summary based on CAT scale actual weights

Attachments

• Weight Summary - 021722.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 12