• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Solar Panel System Installed on my 2024 Delta 262RB

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
My son and I just completed the installation of Solar Panels on my 2024 Delta 262RB:

Project
Add 6 200-Watt / 24-Volt Rich Solar Panels to the roof of the RV as part of a larger power system

Objective
Have the ability to recharge LiFeP04 batteries using solar energy

Products
Rich Solar MEGA 200 Watt / 24 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panels (6 ea) - link
Combiner Box (11.02" x 7.48") - link
4-Stud Bus Bars (2 ea) - link
Power Switch - link
Icotec Cable Entry System - link

Installation Process
  • Relocated Winegard TV Antenna from the ODS of the roof, near the edge, to the center of the roof, between the 2 ACs.
  • Determined ideal location for panels, leaving room to get onto the roof from the ladder, taking into consideration existing vents etc.
  • Added aluminum Z-brackets to all panels.
  • Measure and marked for panel locations on roof.
  • Added butyl tape to bottom of brackets - only where screw holes were.
  • Place panels in position, drilled pilot holes, secured with 1" SS lags and added Dicor Lap Sealant around brackets and on top of lug heads.
  • Interconnected panels in series (per side).
  • Ran panel string wires into combiner box through Icotech Cable Entry System, combined both strings in parallel inside combiner box to 4-position bus bar.
  • Fished kitchen wall and ran 4 AWG welding cable from combiner box to underbelly area for eventual run to pass-through bay to MPPT.
Usage
  • Solar Power is one of 4 methods of battery recharging, we have planned for the RV. Solar Charging is automatically managed by the Victron MPPT Solar Charge Controller. When there is sunlight, if a charge is needed, we will be producing power to charge our battery bank.
Maintenance
Occasional cleaning of the solar panels.

Experience / Review
As of 18-Feb-2024, only the panels and the wiring to the pass-through bay is complete. The batteries and MPPT will be installed soon. When we hit the road in April and use the system more fully, we'll circle back here and add more about our experience.

Pictures
Link to online gallery of all project pictures
Solar Panels - Completed - 01.jpg Solar Combiner - Lid Off.jpg Solar Combiner - Solar Entry Ports - 02.jpg

Completed Project Video
Link to Video

Last edited:

2 Allies

Really nice job Jim! You'll be ready for some boondocking/off gridding. Great pictures and video. Like your work space/ garage too.
Enjoy,
Bruce

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Really nice job Jim! You'll be ready for some boondocking/off gridding. Great pictures and video. Like your work space/ garage too.
Enjoy,
Bruce
Thank you Bruce. Sitting / kneeling on the roof for a few days was a drag but I do enjoy doing this sort of thing. When complete, our small trailer power system will be small but mighty :)

RockDr896

Both are very clean installs and look great. However, what is your plan for doing any slide work? can those panels be stepped on? Also being only 1 year into the RV life, can the slides be walked on? I have seen people pressure washing and walking on the slides, so I was wondering. What are the weight limits if you can walk on the slides?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@RockDr896 - Generally, slide roofs cannot be walked on. If a slide needs to be worked on, it can be done from the ends or the front in most cases. If the slide topper needs to be replaced, it can be done with the slide partially to fully in and done from ladders, not from the roof.

RockDr896

@RockDr896 - Generally, slide roofs cannot be walked on. If a slide needs to be worked on, it can be done from the ends or the front in most cases. If the slide topper needs to be replaced, it can be done with the slide partially to fully in and done from ladders, not from the roof.
I had a stick get into one of my larger slides and had to reinstall the top gasket and silicone the top of it. I could not have worked it from the sides in my opinion. Since I am not dry camping, I won't be installing the panel setups you guys have. Thanks for the answer concerning slides! Maybe slide covers are in my future.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Tell me more about your system. I want to add to mine on our 340. We have the one 390? 2-100 amp hours lithium batteries and also onboard Onan propane genny
Well....I removed everything from the factory and started over. You can see I now have a 100% Victron system, with 3x270 Battle Born batteries and the 10x2000w solar on the roof. I have the Vicron Orion 50 amp DC-to-DC charger (just arrived 2 days ago) and I will be installing that hopefully before we leave for the Nation Rally at the end of May.
I also added 4 Ruuvi devices and installed "guimods" to my CerboGX, so I can quickly see the temps of my frig, inside, outside and battery compartment. Battery compartment also has a temp sensor that turns on a 12v fan in case it gets too hot in there.

1712872375929.png

1712872112531.png

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Well....I removed everything from the factory and started over. You can see I now have a 100% Victron system, with 3x270 Battle Born batteries and the 10x2000w solar on the roof. I have the Vicron Orion 50 amp DC-to-DC charger (just arrived 2 days ago) and I will be installing that hopefully before we leave for the Nation Rally at the end of May.
I also added 4 Ruuvi devices and installed "guimods" to my CerboGX, so I can quickly see the temps of my frig, inside, outside and battery compartment. Battery compartment also has a temp sensor that turns on a 12v fan in case it gets too hot in there.

Jim - I'm jealous the you got your Victron XS DC-DC already. My dealer hasn't gotten me one yet. Hope to get it before Goshen.

Say - when we're in Goshen, would you mind installing GUI mods on my Cerbo?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jim - I'm jealous the you got your Victron XS DC-DC already. My dealer hasn't gotten me one yet. Hope to get it before Goshen.

Say - when we're in Goshen, would you mind installing GUI mods on my Cerbo?
It isn't hard Jim. I watched this video and was successful on my first attempt. I think I had one additional reboot of the Cerbo then what he says, but all in all, a 20 to 30 min project. Happy to help at the Pre Rally or National Rally if you haven't done it by then...but knowing you, you'll have this done within 24 hrs of reading this.

CornCrib

Jim: We'll be at the pre rally on the 18th. Would love a walkthru on your temp sensor and fan set up .. and your Orion, if it's in. If you didn't get the Orion in by then, I'd be glad to be an extra set of hands to help you install in Indiana.

Question on the GuiMods: Does it get blown away after updates, requiring a reinstall?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jim: We'll be at the pre rally on the 18th. Would love a walkthru on your temp sensor and fan set up .. and your Orion, if it's in. If you didn't get the Orion in by then, I'd be glad to be an extra set of hands to help you install in Indiana.

Question on the GuiMods: Does it get blown away after updates, requiring a reinstall?
Yes....if you update the Cerbo firmware, you will most likely have to reinstall the guimods. Unless there is a MAJOR update to the Cerbo, I don't plan on updating its firmware again. But, now that I have done the guimod update to the Cerbo...it isn't that hard to do again.

happy to walk you through the setup. The fan uses the battery exhaust port, as I am no longer using that with Lithium batteries. I am thinking of adding more fans to help push more hot air out.