• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Solar panel connections

We have a 2022 Avenue 30rls. Progressive Dynamics intelli power panel (switched to li) , and the pd1620 2000 watt inverter, but no charge controller. What is my solar panel connected too? Won't charge the Renogi 100amp hr lithium battery unless it's plugged in. Also we have a 2022 GMC 3500 Denali that won't charge the battery while driving. Checked fuses, and connections all seem tight. What am I missing? When the battery goes completely dead everything goes blank and nothing works until I plug it in and reset the inverter. I've had e-5 error code twice, but never get the e-1 low battery code. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Turns out, there should have been a charge controller installed at the factory. Woops. Solar panel is not connected to anything. Still not sure why the truck isn't charging the battery.

Focker

I don't believe that Alliance RVs are wired to charge from the 7 pin so that would explain the issue with the truck. Someone forgetting to install the solar controller at the factory is super odd.

CornCrib

Here's a link to the 7way Pin wiring on your unit ... you can use this to check if you're wired correctly. But be careful, it's possible the charge from the truck was disconnected intentionally when lithium batteries were installed, to protect your truck alternator from being overworked trying to charge the lithium batteries, (depending on the capacity of your alternator). Something to dig into further before you re-connect.

7-Way Plug Wiring

John R

I just switched over to lithium batteries and switched the converter to LI. Does something have to be changed on the 7- way plug wiring?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Depending on the capacity of your truck alternator and the size of your battery bank, the lithium bank could call for a higher charge rate than the alternator can provide without compromising it over time.
Charging Lithium from Alternator
While possible on motorhome, that isn't really possible on a 5th wheel as the wire gauge from 7-pin in about 16 gauge and can't allow enough amps to be pulled. On average the 7-pin can provide ~1 to 2 amps to the RV.

DanNJanice

Turns out, there should have been a charge controller installed at the factory. Woops. Solar panel is not connected to anything. Still not sure why the truck isn't charging the battery.
I just checked my F250 and 32RLS. With solar completely turned off the truck still supplied some charging current to the batteries via the 7-pin plug, not a lot though, as Oregon_Camper stated.

Michaewang

Without a charge controller, the power from the rv solar panels might not be regulated, causing issues with charging. As for GMC Denali, it should charge the battery while driving if everything is connected correctly.

Last edited: