• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Solar/Inverter/Battery Install in an Avenue 32RLS

CornCrib

Finished my Solar/Inverter/Battery install in our 2022 Avenue 32RLS.
-Added 3 more Renogy 320w panels to the one that came with the unit, for a total of 4. Ran them 2s2p
-Abandoned the OEM roof penetration for the 1.5" chase that runs roof to basement for solar wiring
-Victron 150/100 MPPT Solar Controller
-Victron MultiPlus-II 3000kVA 2x120v
-Victron Lynx Distributor
-Victron 500A SmartShunt
-2 BB GC3 Batteries
-Victron Cerbo GX
-Victron GX Touch 50
Install took a total of about 60 hours, spread out over 4 weekends. This did not include planning the layout and research time. I took the Solar Install class at the NRVTA that helped immensely, mostly by gaining the confidence of having participated in doing it myself once. Well worth it when comparing class cost to paying for labor to install (figuring my labor is basically free, of course). Also, have the added benefit of knowing exactly how it's all hooked together, and where to look for issues if there are problems.
3B7A70D1-A44D-48F0-8366-46227369CF77_1_105_c.jpeg5ECE68B7-916A-41F0-9B68-0F73064FE523_1_105_c.jpeg1A790ED4-7A62-4AC3-BD74-9C5E4CDE8FDB_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Ben and Kathy

-Added 3 more Renogy 320w panels to the one that came with the unit, for a total of 4. Ran them 2s2p
-Abandoned the OEM roof penetration for the 1.5" chase that runs roof to basement for solar wiring
-Victron 500A SmartShunt
-2 BB GC3 Batteries
-Victron Cerbo GX
-Victron GX Touch 50
Install took a total of about 60 hours, spread out over 4 weekends. This did not include planning the layout and research time. I took the Solar Install class at the NRVTA that helped immensely, mostly by gaining the confidence of having participated in doing it myself once. Well worth it when comparing class cost to paying for labor to install (figuring my labor is basically free, of course). Also, have the added benefit of knowing exactly how it's all hooked together, and where to look for issues if there are problems.
Great work. It took me about 25 hours on the roof just for the 6 panels I installed. I Also abandon the original solar prep. The box gave me room for a roof breaker (circuit cutoff), and individual fuses for each three 2x in series arrays.

What is the thermostat?

Shelly S

-Victron 500A SmartShunt
-2 BB GC3 Batteries
-Victron Cerbo GX
-Victron GX Touch 50
View attachment 1406View attachment 1407View attachment 1408
Corncrib your note says you abandon the 1.5” pipe from factory. Did you install a new chase for your wiring? Also, what is the brand of bus bar in your box?

CornCrib

No. I used the 1.5“ pipe, rather than the OEM roof penetration.
Bus bar was from Amazon:
DAIERTEK Bus Bar Terminal Block 4 x 5/16" (M8) Terminal Stud, 6 x #8 (M4) Screw Terminal Positive & Ground Power Distribution Block with Cover Marine Battery Bus Bar 12V - 48V for Automotive Car Boat https://a.co/d/b3IlveY

CornCrib

Since this post, everything is working as expected. Stayed at a Harvest Host. Ran furnace at 64 deg, 2 hrs of TV, with sound bar and SW, charged electronic devices, made coffee, in addition to lights, 12v fridge, slides, leveling. Woke up next morning with 80% battery remaining. On rainy day, we were back to 100% by noon. Pretty happy with that.

However, I’ve developed a Touch50 screen issue. Working properly, but colors have disappeared (see pic below). Could be HDM I cable related. A rerun of that is a future project.
IMG_1723.jpeg

Shelly S

Great work. It took me about 25 hours on the roof just for the 6 panels I installed. I Also abandon the original solar prep. The box gave me room for a roof breaker (circuit cutoff), and individual fuses for each three 2x in series arrays.

What is the thermostat?

No. I used the 1.5“ pipe, rather than the OEM roof penetration.
Bus bar was from Amazon:
DAIERTEK Bus Bar Terminal Block 4 x 5/16" (M8) Terminal Stud, 6 x #8 (M4) Screw Terminal Positive & Ground Power Distribution Block with Cover Marine Battery Bus Bar 12V - 48V for Automotive Car Boat https://a.co/d/b3IlveY
Thanks

Shelly S

Since this post, everything is working as expected. Stayed at a Harvest Host. Ran furnace at 64 deg, 2 hrs of TV, with sound bar and SW, charged electronic devices, made coffee, in addition to lights, 12v fridge, slides, leveling. Woke up next morning with 80% battery remaining. On rainy day, we were back to 100% by noon. Pretty happy with that.

However, I’ve developed a Touch50 screen issue. Working properly, but colors have disappeared (see pic below). Could be HDM I cable related. A rerun of that is a future project.
View attachment 1444
I love Harvest Host. We have stayed at some great ones. And they were easy for us to get a big rig in and out. We have also, done a Boondockers Welcome. They are now part of Harvest Host as well

CornCrib

What is the thermostat?
Sorry .. missed your question:

Thermostat is the MicroAir EasyTouch ... easy install, gives me remote access and monitoring ability. So far, it's working well.