• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Solar and Generator power

Shanty

So my wife and I have been looking and doing some homework and really like the 37V13 Valor. We have a question about getting a generator and solar max package. We are planning to travel with our dog. We don’t plan on doing a lot of boondocking, but some. I kinda understand what will and won’t work off the batteries, and the generator will run the entire unit. I guess my question is should I get both or one or the other? I am unsure how the solar will perform in cloudy, rainy weather, and how long the batteries will last. I also understand one can’t also use a generator in some areas. Should we error on the side of getting both to have and not need, for redundancy or just in case? The generator will add to the overall weight too. I tend to be overly prepared. Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Focker

I would want both. The peace and quiet of solar with a good inverter can't be beat however having a generator to run all the AC units or recharge the batteries after too many days of cloudy weather is invaluable. I have never been to a place I can't use my generator however there are certainly places with quiet hours when they can't be used (typically 10pm to 7am).
As far as the amount of time batteries can last (without recharge) will depend on how conservative you are with electrical use. On Solar-Plus you can go 3 days or more on 12V power without recharging the batteries if you are just running your refrigerator and some lights. If you are running your inverter along with an average of amount of 120V items you should figure about 24-36 hours on battery. If you use your microwave, run an AC or other big wattage items you batteries will obviously run down much more quickly.

HCL

We have both Solar Plus and generator on our 36v11 and glad we do. As Focker said there are times when the solar wont keep up with your needs due to weather and the generator is surprisingly quiet and charges the batteries pretty fast.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
We are going with ~3,000 watts of solar and 810 amp hours of Lithium batteries (3x270amp hours Battle Born batteries) for our power supply and Victron MultiPlus II for times we need AC power. I have been carrying a small Yamaha generator in the back of our truck for the last 3 years and we haven't needed it yet. :)

Last edited:

Trent Mills

Don't forget the tax credit (30%) on solar this year and next. Having something you can expand (solar, batteries and inverted watts) without throwing away the original system is very important.

Shanty

Thanks for all your responses. They will help us make an informed decision. I still have some learning to do. 🤔

Trent Mills

A couple rules of thumb to think about:
1. On a good day, you get about 6 hours of your rated solar. So if you have 1KW of solar panels on your roof, on a good day you will get about 6 KWh of power. (Sun straight down on panels, no shade or clouds, panels clean)
On a bad day, you may not get any solar..... (You are up north, cloudy/shade, panels dirty)
2. A 100 Ah 12 VDC Lithium battery has about 1 KWH in it (nice round number to play with, conversion to AC).
3. A fridge will use about 1-2 KWh per day. (usage is dependent on ambient temperature, thermal mass in freezer, opening the door, how long the door is open, loading warm things in the fridge).
An air conditioner will use about 1 KWH per hour at high duty cycle. (usage is dependent on ambient temperature, temp the thermostat is set at, rig insulation, air leaks. opening the door, how long the door is open, closing the bedroom door and only running the unit there)
4. A small generator (3KW) can certainly "top off" your batteries and run an air conditioner during the heat of the day for a couple hours. Something like this link (cheap harbor frieght one.)

If you PM me, I can send you a "solar system sizing spreadsheet) that you can play with to set your expectations. This forum does not allow me to attach a spreadsheet.

Last edited: