• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Short Bed Towing

BryanValRox

Hi folks, I am looking for feedback from those using Ram 3500 Short Beds to tow 310 RL’s.
Please provide your experience when using sliding hitches or goosneck options, like Anderson, Gen Y and or Reese Goose Box options.
Are there any cab clearance issues? If using gooseneck hitches, are you using the standard set up or using an offset adapter. And if using an offset are you using 4 inch or 5 and is that providing enough cab clearance?
Looking for any and all pro’s and con’s
Thanks in advance for your input!

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Years ago (different RV and Truck) I used a Reese Airborne Sidewinder hitch in our F-350 short bed. Was amazed at how well it worked and I NEVER had to remember to engage a slider hitch.

Mike in North Wales

Bryan
We use a PullRite Superglide hitch. PullRite told me to order the 24k version because it has 4 extra inches of slide travel. RAM beds are shorter that the others, so this matters, according to them. The downfall is the weight. It's somewhere near 275lbs, so it's a PITA to remove. Had I thought about that, I may have bought something else, but it has performed flawlessly.

BryanValRox

Mike, I appreciate all of the info! Will the Superglide get you a full 90 degrees without contact from the corner of the coach?(just asking, I know this is a topic that contains much constructive debate)

Also, you stated you made some height adjustments. I assume to help move some weight around?
Do you have a sense of how that impacted your numbers if any?

Like @CornCrib stated, this is a very detailed “Corner Weight/Wheel end report” and I am amazed at some of the side to side difference with the trailer. I look forward to having our coach weighted out like this, when the package is made final.

Best regards to all!
Bryan

Mike in North Wales

Yes, we can get 90° with this model Superglide. Like I said, it has 4" more travle, so I don't know if the 16k and 20k models will make it in a RAM.

We made some weight changes after the weigh session, as in we reduced the amount of crap we carry! Lol! Then, of course, we slowly added stuff back throughout the rest of the season. I haven't had it weighed since that rally, so I don't have numbers. Nothing really changed in the handling. I have air bags on the truck that I run between 5-20lbs of air pressure. Ten seems to be the sweet spot, with little rebound over rises in the road and a level rig. One thing I want to do is change to LiPo batteries. That will drop some serious weight off the pin weight.

Early on in the year I changed the pin box height to reduce the height of the trailer. That made an amazing difference in handling and fuel mileage. The trailer was originally nose-up, now more level when hitched.

The people who do the weight report are very serious about this topic. They run the numbers, complete the report, then go over everything with you, including tire pressure recommendations. They travel around doing rallies, shows, etc. It's a worthy expense, and not very expensive.

CornCrib

OK .. I'll stick my tallywacker in the light socket .....

I have the Anderson, and I like it. Had a number of folks try and talk me out of it, but I did not take their advice. On my F350 SB, I can get close to 90 deg, but not quite there. We're not full time, so when we're off the road, our truck is our daily driver. The ability to take the hitch in and out easily is a plus for us, as well as the ability to hook and unhook at more angles. It's quiet, simple, light and convenient. If I had to do it all over again today, I'd look closely at the GenY. I'd switch to that if ever a reason to ditch the Anderson arises ... so far, it hasn't. There are strong opinions surrounding the Anderson, so I'm just telling you my experience and thought process. I'm not an engineer or metallurgist, just a lowly IT guy who likes camping and conveniences.

BryanValRox

CornCrib, BUZZZZZZZ……………;). Love the honesty and transparency! Absolutely no judgement hear(except for maybe the tallywacker in the light socket, that could be painful). If it works for you and you are happy with it that is all that matters! I have it as an option that remains on the table, BUT, I am currently leaning in the direction of the Gen Y over a slider due to the weight of the slider. While 90 degree might be the standard for some, I have to wonder what %. of time folks are actually turning 90. Of course I agree that the piece of mind of having cab clearance with the slider is comforting. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

Thanks for your contributions to this forum, your advice always seem sound!
Bryan

Last edited:

Mike in North Wales

Bryan, you make me laugh! I was going to type the same thing! And look for a little lightning bolt!

90° isn't the be all/end all, but without proper clearance you could be stuck at 45°. Doubtful this would happen, but just watch for interference.

Our friends (and CornCrib's) had a Gen Y installed at the rally this summer. Several were installed that week. I don't think there is a compatability issue. If you ordered the puck system, Gen Y has a nifty offset ball on a bracket that goes in the pucks, but maintains the weight over the axle.

Turfengineer

We are lucky to have so many good options for SB towing these days. I went with the goosebox and 4” offset ball for my B&W prep. I really like it and similar to Corncrib I need my truck bed way more than we’re are towing the Avenue. The GenY is a few inches shorter in length overall from my research. The B&W Sidewinder was considered but I just kept coming back to the gooseneck conversion.

BryanValRox

Turfengineer,
I appreciate the feedback you and the others have provided, the goosebox is also still on the table. Still leaning in the direction of GenY, as best I can tell it weights a little less than the goosebox, and negates the need to deal with the air bag(although, I do not consider that a big deal) my concerns are trying to maximize weight savings.

JWalker

OK .. I'll stick my tallywacker in the light socket .....

I have the Anderson, and I like it. Had a number of
folks try and talk me out of it, but I did not take their advice. On my F350 SB, I can get close to 90 deg, but not quite there. We're not full time, so when we're off the road, our truck is our daily driver. The ability to take the hitch in and out easily is a plus for us, as well as the ability to hook and unhook at more angles. It's quiet, simple, light and convenient. If I had to do it all over again today, I'd look closely at the GenY. I'd switch to that if ever a reason to ditch the Anderson arises ... so far, it hasn't. There are strong opinions surrounding the Anderson, so I'm just telling you my experience and thought process. I'm not an engineer or metallurgist, just a lowly IT guy who likes camping and conveniences.

We had an Anderson for about 5 years and 25,000 miles. Pulling a 15,000 lb 5er. Really liked the hitch. Smooth, no chucking and easy to hitch and unhitch.
With the Avenue, I am using a non-slider B&W Companion now. GMC standard bed. No turning issues so far.

BryanValRox

We had an Anderson for about 5 years and 25,000 miles. Pulling a 15,000 lb 5er. Really liked the hitch. Smooth, no chucking and easy to hitch and unhitch.
With the Avenue, I am using a non-slider B&W Companion now. GMC standard bed. No turning issues so far.
Thank you for the feedback on your experience.

KingDom

Hi Bryan,
So, what was the decision? What hitch did you go with? Aren't you glad I'm not asking you who you are cheering on in the Taylor Swift Bowl? LOL
Thank you,
Dom

BryanValRox

Hi Dom, good to hear from you!
I am glad your not asking, but it is no secret the Ravens made some very costly mistakes that likely cost us the game.
We are typically pretty good at choking late in the game or there is something critical on line. Oh well I guess.

So, thanks for asking about the hitch, I decided on the Gen Y Executive Model, I also opted for the 5 inch offset ball.
It has shipped and according to the tracking number it is at the local terminal . We are just waiting on the phone call to set delivery up, hopefully next week. Installation begins after that!

I hope your pause and continued research is still going well.
Best regards!
Bryan

dwcfish

Question - I have been looking at replacing the Pin Box on my Avenue. The Gen Y was high on the list. However when I contacted Gen Y they indicated that the hitch was not approved by Lippert for use on a Lippert Frame - Lippert also said this. I have seen discussion about this online but am looking for any research that would give me some confidence relative to the issue of Lippert frame and Gen Y issue. Has anyone come across any info on this problem?