• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

RV riding nose high - help?

AP1

2023 Alliance Valor 36v11/ 2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 SRW with 2'' leveling kit and air bags
My rig is sitting uncomfortably high. I am at 13'4'' so not much room to bring the trailer up. Anyone else run into this issue?IMG_3182.jpg

Mike in North Wales

That looks like the way our 2023 Paradigm sits on our 2016 RAM 3500 CCSB 4x4. I wouldn't want to raise it, either, and there isn't room to lower the front using the pin box, so I live with it.
Interested to hear any more experienced replies. This is our first 5th wheel.

Whitewolf

Rams are high to begin with, and then with a lift on top of that, It's going to be pretty tough to get the front any lower. I was able to get our nose lowered by lowering the Companion( I forget if it was 1 or 2 bolt holes) and raising the pin box 1 bolt hole. But then I'm stock height.

My worry is that with the nose that high you may experience fishtailing during windy conditions or a transport going the other way on a 2 lane. Also your rear levelers are now lower than intended.

I love the look of your truck with the lift, but...............

Trent Mills

We have the 3500 Ram. We have an "Alternate Trailer Height" button that we push to lower the bed and inch or two. Keep 5" or so between the trailer and the bed rails. We have our hitch on the lowest setting and the trailer pin on the highest setting.
It looks like your truck is lifted? Can you lower it easily?

Mike in North Wales

Update to my previous post:

After measuring the overall height of the rig, I decided to raise the pin box 2 holes (about 2") to lower the front of the coach. The rig was uncomfortably over-height at 13' 8". I also cut the air pressure in the bags from 30 to 15lbs. I have 6" between the coach and the bed rails.

I haven't remeasured, but it should be at least 2" lower. Funny thing, my fuel mileage went up considerably, and it does handle a bit better.

Whitewolf

I haven't remeasured, but it should be at least 2" lower. Funny thing, my fuel mileage went up considerably, and it does handle a bit better.
With the front lower you are slightly more aerodynamic. We're all still towing a brick. :LOL:

Are you able to post a new pic with the current setup?

Whitewolf

AP1, as Mike said, and as you can tell, you have a little squat going on, but personally I don't think it's gonna hurt. It looks sooooo much better than before.

AP1

I measured my truck suspension standing alone and I was a little over 1'' high in the back, so I lowered my rear self-leveling airbags about 1.5''. Hear is a slightly different angle. I can live with it now.IMG_3306.jpg

Mike in North Wales

Yeah, it does look a bit better now. I know it helped my handling.

AP1, I went back and reread the thread from the beginning and realized I used the same description as you. I wasn't trying to co-opt your thread. It was purely by accident. Sorry about that!