• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Rust Prevention on my Avenue

Turfengineer

I had my RV at the factory in Indiana for some warranty work in January, so I had to bring it home in between winter storms. This resulted in a 5hr drive through the salt mines of Indiana and Ohio. It’s filthy, I mean covered by salt dust and road debris now. I don’t have water access to wash it off but I would like to treat the underside to help reduce or prevent corrosion. Any options?

I plan to spray a diesel fuel/engine oil mixture on the metal surfaces without washing off the road grime. Maybe I need to rig up a water tank and pressure washer first.

BryanValRox

I had my RV at the factory in Indiana for some warranty work in January, so I had to bring it home in between winter storms. This resulted in a 5hr drive through the salt mines of Indiana and Ohio. It’s filthy, I mean covered by salt dust and road debris now. I don’t have water access to wash it off but I would like to treat the underside to help reduce or prevent corrosion. Any options?

I plan to spray a diesel fuel/engine oil mixture on the metal surfaces without washing off the road grime. Maybe I need to rig up a water tank and pressure washer first.
Hello Turfengineer,
Please don't take this as telling you what to do! After all you did ask for opinions:)

I would respectfully suggest that you pause and rethink your Diesel Fuel/Engine Oil approach.

This would obviously cause a mess and likely a safety hazard for you and others. Even a small amount will drip and run the rails for a long time.
Remember Oil/Fuel and water don't mix well at all.

Also think about the impact to any rubber hoses(Propane) Caliper Hoses(Disc Brake), tires and wiring harnesses. Fuel/oil contact can cause swelling of hoses and harnesses.

I would advise against it.

Given that you don't have access to water to wash it off, have you considered a Mobile Pressure washing or Detailing Business? Sure, it would be an added cost, But it might be better in the long run. Those companies usually bring their own water(at least in our area)

Turfengineer

Thank you for the reply. The diesel fuel and oil mixture is common in agriculture, at least in my area. The entire point is that this mix disperses the water and then leaves a thin coating to protect the surface. This would be very similar to many of the products available for purchase. I do agree that a good wash is the best option, but due to the location it’s not a viable one. I have the rig parked at my farm which is well off the beaten path.

The one part of this that I do have reservations about is spraying the slide seals. They are a pretty delicate rubber.

Bozo

Thank you for the reply. The diesel fuel and oil mixture is common in agriculture, at least in my area. The entire point is that this mix disperses the water and then leaves a thin coating to protect the surface. This would be very similar to many of the products available for purchase. I do agree that a good wash is the best option, but due to the location it’s not a viable one. I have the rig parked at my farm which is well off the beaten path.

The one part of this that I do have reservations about is spraying the slide seals. They are a pretty delicate rubber.
I believe Eastwood sells a salt neutralizer solution and kelsport sells fluid film, wool wax, and body cavity wax. All would work well.The fluid film and wool wax are lanolin products.