• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Roof/Ceiling Truss Thickness? -- Light fixture above island came loose

HelotesAg

So when we got to our destination last Friday, we noticed that 4 of the 6 screws holding up the light fixture above the kitchen island had come loose. We lived with it while camping, but before heading home I decided to take the fixture down because I figured taking it down gracefully would be better than it crashing down while driving. Anyway, I really think I can fix this myself. I'm guessing that they missed the roof trusses on the furring strips that the fixture mounts to. I want to put in some good sturdy screws to hold it in better, but I don't want to use a screw so long that they go through the roof. So - all of that said, does anyone know how thick the two-by's are that make up the roof trusses? The brochure "100 customer driven features" shows a picture of a roof under construction to highlight the insulation and the wood looks to be pretty thick, but I'd really like to know - and not guess.

Hopefully what I'm describing makes sense and I'm hoping that Jim Beletti or one of the Alliance staff can help me. Attaching some pics of the strips still on the ceiling.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-3216.jpg
    IMG-3216.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-3215.jpg
    IMG-3215.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-3214.jpg
    IMG-3214.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 8

HelotesAg

I think I'll answer my own question - I thought about this last night after I posted this message - so this morning I went out there and used a piece of coat hanger and stuck it up into the hole where the wiring comes out and it went in 5" before hitting the roof decking. The screws that were used to hold the furring strips up were maybe 2" - meaning that they only got about and inch or so of bite into the trusses. I feel pretty confident that I can put a 3" screw in and it will hold that fixture up much better.

The bright side of this for my wife is that it gives her the excuse she needed to replace those pendant lights. Well, I should say to have ME replace those pendant lights!

Upvote 0

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
So when we got to our destination last Friday, we noticed that 4 of the 6 screws holding up the light fixture above the kitchen island had come loose. We lived with it while camping, but before heading home I decided to take the fixture down because I figured taking it down gracefully would be better than it crashing down while driving. Anyway, I really think I can fix this myself. I'm guessing that they missed the roof trusses on the furring strips that the fixture mounts to. I want to put in some good sturdy screws to hold it in better, but I don't want to use a screw so long that they go through the roof. So - all of that said, does anyone know how thick the two-by's are that make up the roof trusses? The brochure "100 customer driven features" shows a picture of a roof under construction to highlight the insulation and the wood looks to be pretty thick, but I'd really like to know - and not guess.

Hopefully what I'm describing makes sense and I'm hoping that Jim Beletti or one of the Alliance staff can help me. Attaching some pics of the strips still on the ceiling.

Thanks in advance!
Hi @HelotesAg - sorry that I just now saw this post. I can ask about the dimensions of the truss lumber. In the mean time, consider taking down a couple of flush ceiling lights and there's a chance that you will be very close to a truss and will be able to determine the size.

Upvote 0