• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Riding head high?

AP1

2023 Alliance Valor 36v11/ 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CCSB 4X4 with 2'' level kit and air bags
Rig not sitting level at all. Don't want to lift trailer, already at 13'4''. Can't mess with truck/ trailer clearance as I am at 6.5''. Any suggestions? Thanks.IMG_3182.jpg

Grassjohn

I had a similar situation, and raised the hitch assembly “up” into the camper frame, which lowered the front of the camper about 2 inches. I still have over 6 inches between the camper and truck bed rails. It’s not perfect but it’s better. Another benefit is, this helps to balance the weight on all 4 wheels instead of over stressing the rear axle.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @AP1 - I agree, your RV is pretty nose-high. Good on you to question it and discuss methods to improve it.

As @Grassjohn mentioned, trailering nose-high (or nose-low) puts more weight on one of the trailer axles and the tires and wheels on that axle. In some cases, it can even overload that axle. In extreme cases, overloading an axle can lead to odd/premature tire wear, axle decambering, spring de-arching and tire blow-outs.

As you, @Grassjohn and @Oregon_Camper camper have mentioned, there are only a few ways to resolve this - such as:
  • Reducing the truck height (lift)
  • Adjusting the pinbox height
  • Adjusting the truck hitch height
  • Adjusting the RV suspension
I realize none of the above options may be appealing - but I just don't see many other options to consider.