• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Recommended upgrades for 2024 Alaska trip planning

arigel

New to Alliance, eye-balling the 310RL or 31A10 in anticipation of participating in a May 2024 summer tour of Alaska, followed by a winter tour of Southern US, then summer tour of Northern US. Roughly 1.5-2 years of continuous travel to include campgrounds and mooch/boondocking.

Recommended upgrades and/or aftermarket add ons - especially for a particularly rough shake down trip?

Waffling between the 8k/disc brakes/H tires vs. IS. Is the 8k upgrade sufficient - IS is spendy and I'd rather spend that 11K on upgrading the Solar.

Recommendations for the tool kit - beyond the basics - for an extended trip?

Best Regards, TIA.
Andrea

Mazboy

I'm just really commenting on Alaska and Canada

ALASKA. we've been there. here is what I'd suggest: AN EXTRA spring, SPRING HOLDER (yes, they break) and misc. connecting stuff. disc brakes would be good over all but nothing to do with Alaska. The IS system is nice if you want to spend money.
As for solar, never had it. Always had a small generator...at this point you can buy one for well under $500.
NOTE: IF you are traveling and dry camping a lot get a RV refrig 110/gas
Buy a $100 inverter and save on solar....use on little things.
Tires: just have good tires, you don't need to go to the H level.

message me if you want to know more about my recommendations and we'll talk.

Socal-Paul

Sounds like a great trip! I would go with the solar maybe even lithium batteries and the 12 volt refer as you can see it is all personal preference. I find the 12 volt compressor refer works much better traveling down the road and with the right amount of panels you won't have to worry about boon docking. Tires are most important and don't forget the spare. I would also suggest a coating of some kind for the undercarriage as you will find stretches of dirt and mud from road work.

HarveyTheRV

We have a 2021 310RL and traveled all lower 48 states, three Canadian provinces and spent 10 weeks touring Alaska last year. Over 33,000 miles. We were very blessed not to have one issue with our 2022 GMC 3500 HD or our Alliance 310RL. The roads weren’t nearly as bad as what we had read about from previous years. The most important thing is take your time don’t be in a hurry. we have 1400 Watts of solar and 6 Battleborn Batteries plus a portable generator. We also traveled with our freshwater tank full the majority of the time, when no issues. Like I mentioned above, don’t be scared of the trip at all just take your time and enjoy the beautiful sites.