• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Questions on Stabilizers

exps01

I'm hoping for some guidance on leveling and stabilization for our Paradigm 310RL. I'm comfortable with the leveling system and auto level, however when I went to set up a couple days ago, the system lifted the trailer's left side tires completely off the ground during the auto level process. I've read this is a big no-no. I was luckily at home, so I dropped back down and was able to get some wood boards out and under the wheels to lift that side up before leveling. I have since ordered a pair of the anderson block style ramps to be able to drive up and bring a side up. I guess my question is that if I use those, will those act as chocks when paired with the ramps after I get them up? I would think so but want to just see what seasoned pros say.

Regarding stabilization, I've been looking a things like x-chocks or the stabilizer bars for the leveling system. Do these make a big difference in movement inside the rig? Any suggestions on the systems or somewhere to look would be great.

rgeyer

I'm hoping for some guidance on leveling and stabilization for our Paradigm 310RL. I'm comfortable with the leveling system and auto level, however when I went to set up a couple days ago, the system lifted the trailer's left side tires completely off the ground during the auto level process. I've read this is a big no-no. I was luckily at home, so I dropped back down and was able to get some wood boards out and under the wheels to lift that side up before leveling. I have since ordered a pair of the anderson block style ramps to be able to drive up and bring a side up. I guess my question is that if I use those, will those act as chocks when paired with the ramps after I get them up? I would think so but want to just see what seasoned pros say.

Regarding stabilization, I've been looking a things like x-chocks or the stabilizer bars for the leveling system. Do these make a big difference in movement inside the rig? Any suggestions on the systems or somewhere to look would be great.

I have a set of the Anderson leveling ramps and I use the x-chocks with them. I also have BAL stabilizers on the front jacks and a Valtera stabilizer for the rear. This is my normal setup and it takes out most of shaking. You'll never fully eliminate all movement. I also have a kingpin tripod that I only use if we're more than a long weekend.

Fishfnatic

We have the metal x chocks and they do not seem to make much difference. Putting 3 lynx blocks under each jack seems to work better to me.

Mike in North Wales

We use Andersen levelers on sites that are too out-of-level to keep the tires on the ground. You are correct- lifting the tires off the ground and using the coach is a no-no. The suspension should bear some weight.

The Andersen levelers do act as a chock with the smaller chocks inserted under the main leveler (we call them commas. Lol), but we still use chocks on the other wheels. I also take the extra step to seat the downhill wheel firmly into the chock before disconnecting. I'll block the wheels, then release the parking brake and put the trans in neutral to allow everything to roll against the chock. Then I reset the brake, disconnect, and complete the setup.

Mazboy

You can at times have your wheels off the ground...it is not a big no no. but putting something under the wheels is a good idea. I've never blocked or choked my trailer.
If this is happening all of the time you may have to raise or lower your jacks.

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Before I used LevelMate Pro, I would simply get out and look at the RV once in a site. If it looked like it was unlevel, would pull forward and put some 2x6's under the low side.

I like having the tires on solid ground/wood vs having them hover over the ground. I am no axle expert, but I can't imagine it is good on them to be hanging two tires off the ground on one side.

darrell

You are correct- lifting the tires off the ground and using the coach is a no-no. The suspension should bear some weight.
I have not seen this guidance apply to hydraulic jacks. In fact, I would totally use this to change the tires in a pinch. If your tires are supporting much weight, you may get more bounce and movement when moving in the trailer. However, be aware of sideways force on your jack rams and make sure you are not overloading them that way. Stabilizers are a totally different situation. My comments apply to folks who are likely to move frequently, not set up permanently. If permanent, I would look for other solutions.

Mike in North Wales

I have not seen this guidance apply to hydraulic jacks. In fact, I would totally use this to change the tires in a pinch. If your tires are supporting much weight, you may get more bounce and movement when moving in the trailer. However, be aware of sideways force on your jack rams and make sure you are not overloading them that way. Stabilizers are a totally different situation. My comments apply to folks who are likely to move frequently, not set up permanently. If permanent, I would look for other solutions.
Changing the tire is a temporary thing. Minutes? I would do the same thing if I had to. In one of the Lippert seminars I attended they said it was a bad idea to have the wheels off the ground when leveling.

darrell

The reality is, though, if you wander through campgrounds you will likely see many folks doing exactly this having wheels off the ground. You will also see lots of reports of folks do it online without issue. This is one of those risk issues that each camper will need to decide for themselves how they will approach it. One thing is sure, whether or not it is good for the system, it is better for their legal team to tell people not to do something. The often provided example from the Lippert manuals shows not to lift the wheels off the ground - but that applies to repairs and time spent underneath the trailer without extra supports. This is the same guidance you will see for cars and other vehicles and trailers. Don't trust just a jack, use jackstands as well. But you will find if you take your trailer to places like Morryde, they will use the hydraulic leveling system to raise the entire trailer up and bring the wheels off the ground. They will use jack stands as safeties, but they will leave the trailer supported primarily by the leveling system for days at a time while completing upgrades or repairs.

daemonic3

We've never had auto leveling, but I actually love the leveling process because the wife and I have the teamwork down to a science.

1. She gets out and uses our old school 2ft level on the floor for side-side level.

2. Whichever side needs a little height, she takes the Anderson levels (the commas) to that side and puts them under the wheels

3. She calls me on the cell in the cab, and has me either back up or move forward onto the commas

4. Once good, she takes the 4 little wedges (apostrophes?) and our rubber mallet and puts those under the commas and tires on that side. Now we're chocked on one side.

5. Now I'm done with the truck and can get out and chock the other side using a Fastway foot chock.

6. Lastly, unhitch then level front-back using tongue jack (we have a travel trailer not a 5er)

I used to have x-chocks but the would tweak and bend to hell if you raise and lower the tongue jack for hitching while they were on. I got the foot chock and LOVE how convenient they are, ditched the xchocks.

This is the Fastway foot chock, can't recommend enough :

And these are the Andersons, we have 2 of the commas and 4 of the little apostrophes:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_225316_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_225316_Chrome.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240306_224218_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_224218_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 7

darrell

Glad your process is working for you. Barring a significant event changing my mind some day, I will not own another RV without auto leveling unless it is a specialty off-road type trailer.