• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Process of Rinsing / Flushing the Black Tank

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Placeholder…

I will circle back to this thread and add our published process for rinsing / flushing your black tank.

Hemimedic37

Jim,
We have a 370FB, it seems like the rear, black tank flush is not filling the tank. When connecting and starting the flushing process, I can hear a noise I believe to be from the front tank area, and only get water flow, after running the flush, from the front tank, based on handle I'm pulling. Is there something I can check without returning to the Dealer? I don't see any leaks from the bottom of the camper. Could it be a pressure related problem? I have been using the sprayer connection on the Nautilus panel, like our Dealer's Tech showed us, so the water flow is coming from our restricted 45 psi system, then through the sprayer connect and blue coiled hose which both would restrict water flow, into the flush inlet. Thank you for all you do. We love our Alliance.

My
Jim,
We have a 370FB, it seems like the rear, black tank flush is not filling the tank. When connecting and starting the flushing process, I can hear a noise I believe to be from the front tank area, and only get water flow, after running the flush, from the front tank, based on handle I'm pulling. Is there something I can check without returning to the Dealer? I don't see any leaks from the bottom of the camper. Could it be a pressure related problem? I have been using the sprayer connection on the Nautilus panel, like our Dealer's Tech showed us, so the water flow is coming from our restricted 45 psi system, then through the sprayer connect and blue coiled hose which both would restrict water flow, into the flush inlet. Thank you for all you do. We love our Alliance.
My tanks were mislabeled

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Jim,
@Hemimedic37 - I wouldn't be too fearful of using campground pressure for the black tank flush, so long as it's not greater than 60 PSI or so. Most aren't. That said, I don't believe this is part of the issue you're having.

You have 2 black tanks on the 370FB. When you are done dumping them and when you have the flush on and hear the noise and leave it on for 5 minutes, is any liquid coming out of the sewer hose to indicate water is getting in the tanks from the flush?

RockingRK

Mine were mislabeled as well and the black tank valve was stuck open. :(
Here's what I use for helping flush all the tanks, including grey.
Flush King

Likin' Bikin'

I seem to have a black tank valve that is susceptible to highway impacts, or just doesn't close completely? (I also considered the FlushKing but wasn't sure how effective would be as mine immediately 90s off both directions.) Both stops last trip i got a little unwanted splash when going to hook up the stinky slinky. Discussion w a Pinnacle owner 3 sites down where he told me first thing he did w the Jayco was to put a manual shutoff at the end. Anybody make a modification of that kind? Not a lot of pipe length there to cut off and glue to, but thinking i need to give it a whirl.
Mine were mislabeled as well and the black tank valve was stuck open. :(
Here's what I use for helping flush all the tanks, including grey.
Flush King

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
... Discussion w a Pinnacle owner 3 sites down where he told me first thing he did w the Jayco was to put a manual shutoff at the end. Anybody make a modification of that kind? Not a lot of pipe length there to cut off and glue to, but thinking i need to give it a whirl.
Yes, I've done this on previous coaches. I prefer the 3" slip x 3" slip - glue-in style valve.

Here's an example: https://beletti.smugmug.com/RV/2018-Heartland-Landmark-Newport/Waste-Master/i-V7S52mX/A

RockDr896

I am a new owner of a 370FB, which has 2 black tanks. Are the tanks the same size and if not, what size are they? Normally, I would use a flow meter and fill the tanks and let head pressure clean out what it can as well. So knowing the size of the tanks and filling them with water is a must. If the tank sizes are different, then I will attempt doing this, based on the volume of the smaller tank. Please advise.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I am a new owner of a 370FB, which has 2 black tanks. Are the tanks the same size and if not, what size are they? Normally, I would use a flow meter and fill the tanks and let head pressure clean out what it can as well. So knowing the size of the tanks and filling them with water is a must. If the tank sizes are different, then I will attempt doing this, based on the volume of the smaller tank. Please advise.
Here's what I see from the corp website for the 370FB:
98 / 106 / 106 Gal
FRESH/GRAY /BLACK

From that, I'd say each black tank is 53 gallons. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the black tank rinse water inlet is plumbed to both black tanks. Some owners have done a modification that allows for each black tank to be rinsed separately.

RockDr896

Here's what I see from the corp website for the 370FB:
98 / 106 / 106 Gal
FRESH/GRAY /BLACK

From that, I'd say each black tank is 53 gallons. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the black tank rinse water inlet is plumbed to both black tanks. Some owners have done a modification that allows for each black tank to be rinsed separately.
I will be definitely making the "Rinsed separately Mod"! I noticed that the rinse flow appeared weak in terms of volume. Let me know if we can get a confirmation on both tanks "actually" being 53 gallons. I guess I am a fan of filling the tanks and using head pressure along with rinsing with the spray system. Thanks.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I will be definitely making the "Rinsed separately Mod"! I noticed that the rinse flow appeared weak in terms of volume. Let me know if we can get a confirmation on both tanks "actually" being 53 gallons. I guess I am a fan of filling the tanks and using head pressure along with rinsing with the spray system. Thanks.
I've submitted a request to the GM for Paradigm to confirm the 370 FB has 2 ea 53 gallon black tanks. I'll report back to this thread with confirmation when I receive it.

As a 370FB owner as well, where can one find more information on the "Rinsed separately Mod"

RockDr896

This is what one owner on the forums did. This would involve running a separate line along side the existing line and connecting to each tank. I will pull down access panel some day and verify what needs to happen. I will take pictures when I am done, but it may be awhile.

Attachments

• Black Tank Mod for flushing tanks.jpg
    Black Tank Mod for flushing tanks.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 8
  • Black Tank Mod for flushing tanks-Panel.jpg
    Black Tank Mod for flushing tanks-Panel.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 8

RockDr896

This is a different board setup, but maybe a simpler fix, may be to add a switch to the panel and buy the fittings used on the backside of board. It would save drilling holes and buying ball valves? Still would need to run an additional line.

Attachments

• Front & Back of Nautalis Panel.jpg
    Front & Back of Nautalis Panel.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 9