• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Power plug replacement

bhidalgo

Yesterday I tried to replace the external plug receptacle on our 310 RL for the 50 amp input power.

Two of the four screws that hold the OEM installed receptacle in place are stripped, so I have to install bigger screws as a result. As part of to that fix I decided I would upgrade the OEM receptacle with a new one.

However, after I unscrewed the OEM receptacle from the rig, then unscrewed a small collar on the back of the plug itself, I realized I had no idea how to remove the back dash shell to access the wiring.

Does anyone know how to get that back-shell off?
Googling how to do that has resulted in nothing useful for me at this point.

I reattached the receptacle to the rig for now, so it’s back like it was before I started messing with it

Thanks - Bill

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Is this the power cord replacement you're using? Can you attach a picture of the part you can't get apart?

bhidalgo

Jim,
No, it is not one like that.
I am replacing it with one like this:
1701703147287.png

What I need help getting apart is the backshell on the OEM installed plug.
And figuring out what sized screws to use since the two forward screw holes attaching the current plug to the rig are stripped out.

The link from NHTSA above that BryanValRox sent me shows the disassembly of the currently installed plug.
Steps 4 and 5 of that procedure appear to show what is needed to remove the back shell (They call it the housing).

1701704227085.png
Thanks,
Bill

BryanValRox

Hi Bill,
Just a suggestion if your mounting screws holes are stripped in the body.
Assuming you can access the rear of the plug from the basement , you could consider ”thru bolting” them.

This might allow the same size hardware and mounting holes to be used, just using bolts and nuts instead of screws.

Just thinking out loud!😀

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
If you can't get the black protective cover off...just cut the wire at the base and toss it away. You'll lose about 3" of wire. You have plenty so don't worry if you have to cut it off

Mike in North Wales

As mentioned above, this is what I did on our last camper. I bought some long stainless steel machine screws, nuts, and washers and through bolted the plug. Of course, it all depends on access to the back side.

bhidalgo

My plug is just aft of my nautilus setup with a wall in the way. I can try to take the wall out temporarily which should allow me access to the back side of the plug. I’m going to replace it likely today and see how it goes. Thanks

bhidalgo

Well, I didn't get to the plug. I can't remove the wall by my Nautilus system. So I am debating cutting a hole in the wall so I can reach in and gain access to the back of the plug. I'll figure out how to patch the hole once I finish replacing the plug. The journey continues...

BryanValRox

Well, that would be a lot of extra work to patch the hole. Is there any chance you could enlarge the mounting holes in the new plug without doing damage and go back with larger screws
The other option, would be to track down a thread insert that would push thru the wall and then expand as it is tighten down. This would provide you with the ability to use bolts from the outside without the need for access to the back side. If you search “ expandable nut insert” on Amazon, you will find various types and examples. I have used Rivet Nut in the past. Brands like Polaris and Hillman pop up as well using the term jack insert nuts or jack nuts.

bhidalgo

Yes, unless I remove the screws that attach the Nautilus system to the side wall and the forward access wall. But, since the water piping is connected, I am not so sure I want to risk loosening up any water fitting. SOMEHOW, I will figure out how to get access to the back of the plug...I hope.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yes, unless I remove the screws that attach the Nautilus system to the side wall and the forward access wall. But, since the water piping is connected, I am not so sure I want to risk loosening up any water fitting. SOMEHOW, I will figure out how to get access to the back of the plug...I hope.
Take down the wall on the door side of the RV, not the wall next to water connections. then you can wiggle your way back to the power cord.