• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Opinions on slide out toppers.

DanNJanice

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on slide out toppers?
I am thinking about getting some, after the leaking issues on my new Avenue. I feel I have resolved any leaks, but you never know.

Here is what I have found so far by searching the internet:
Pros:
Shed rain, reduces chance of leaks.
Prevents debris from getting on top of the slide.
Keeps room cooler by providing an air gap.

Cons:
Noisy - If windy, the slide material flaps around. I have seen reviews of many attempts to resolve this (beach balls, etc.)
Somewhat easy to damage - Can be damaged if wind is too high. Most recommend pulling the slides in if the wind is over about 30MPH. This could be a real inconvenience, especially if I am not at the trailer when this happens.

Now for some questions:
Do you like your toppers and would you put them on again?
What brand are you using?
Alliance says they are prepped for Carefree toppers, are these decent quality/value?
Did you install them yourself and was it fairly easy (assuming good DIY skills) ?
TIA,

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
We are from Oregon...rains a LOT here. We have had slide toppers on our last 4 RV's and would NEVER own an RV without them. I have never experienced excessive noise from them. Yes....they will sag some after heavy rain, but that can be resolved by bringing the slide in or pushing up on them. 100% worth it for us.

DanNJanice

We are from Oregon...rains a LOT here. We have had slide toppers on our last 4 RV's and would NEVER own an RV without them. I have never experienced excessive noise from them. Yes....they will sag some after heavy rain, but that can be resolved by bringing the slide in or pushing up on them. 100% worth it for us.
Thanks for the response, I am pretty sure I am going to put them on.
Do you have any brand that like more than the others?

Two on the road

We are also from Oregon and we have a 340 RL with toppers. I would not have a unit without them. They keep all the leaves and Pineneedles off the top of your slides and when you pull in the side it keep any debris from following in the top slide mostly.

Whitewolf

I'm also a fan of slide toppers. I had them installed on our last 5r and when I order the 340, I had the factory install these. The only complaint I have is I don't think the factory mounted the topper high enough to the sidewall. They sit pretty flat.

DanNJanice

I'm also a fan of slide toppers. I had them installed on our last 5r and when I order the 340, I had the factory install these. The only complaint I have is I don't think the factory mounted the topper high enough to the sidewall. They sit pretty flat.
Thanks for the feedback. I will put them as high on the sidewall as possible to get some slope.

Hotrodjohn

Mine pulled the track off the building as well as slid out of the track and one was ruined at a campground by wind and was left in the campground garbage. They are nice. They suck. Had an Arcadia without and never had a problem.

Gord&Cindy

Anybody have any experience with these "True Toppers"?
Looks interesting, but we have the fabric style on ours now so I probably wouldn't change them to these now, but maybe on the next RV???

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Anybody have any experience with these "True Toppers"?
Looks interesting, but we have the fabric style on ours now so I probably wouldn't change them to these now, but maybe on the next RV???
I have a friend who had this done on his motorhome. Of course, they're not really slide toppers but they do perform the feature of clearing the slide roof of water/debris as the slide comes in. The downside, in addition to the cost is that you lose slide roof shading that you'd have with a traditional slide topper.