• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Norcold 2118 AC/Propane freezer

Scott

Since purchasing our 310RL new in 2021, the refrigerator works fine. However, the freezer must have a mind of its own and has some issue with ice cream. No matter where we put the ice cream in the freezer, it will not keep it frozen. We had our dealer keep it for most of last summer and they replaced the cooling unit and they say everything is up to specs. but it still will not freeze ice cream. Anyone else with this problem? How to resolve? Thank you for your help.

Yes, we did and fixed it mostly. Put a thermometer in the freezer and see what temps it is holding. I used one of those digital ones with multiple wireless sensors with one in the fridge and one in the freezer and visually monitored the readings. It did keep it in between 0-10 F. I added a external cooling fan on the top outside fridge vent that turned on when the fridge came on. It would pull air from the bottom vent by blowing the hot air out the top vent. Thus enhancing the chimney effect that the fridge needs to disperse the heat it creates during the cooling process. Once we did this we had temps between -10 F and -5 F. That did allow for ice cream (Dove Bars) to stay edible.

Attachments

• RV Fridge heat exhaust fan (1).jpg
    RV Fridge heat exhaust fan (1).jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 11

Scott

Yes, we did and fixed it mostly. Put a thermometer in the freezer and see what temps it is holding. I used one of those digital ones with multiple wireless sensors with one in the fridge and one in the freezer and visually monitored the readings. It did keep it in between 0-10 F. I added a external cooling fan on the top outside fridge vent that turned on when the fridge came on. It would pull air from the bottom vent by blowing the hot air out the top vent. Thus enhancing the chimney effect that the fridge needs to disperse the heat it creates during the cooling process. Once we did this we had temps between -10 F and -5 F. That did allow for ice cream (Dove Bars) to stay edible.
Did the fans you purchased (Amazon? can you supply the link?)come with the mounting bars? Where did you run the wires that hook up to the fridge? I can be very dangerous hooking things up. Thank you for your help.

Yes, I purchased them on Amazon https://a.co/d/aSO52A9 and they did come with the brackets. Search for RV+fridge+fan+outside, it is made by Titan. You want one that is IP55 (weather resistant). You will only be dealing with 12v DC so no real danger and you simply turn the fridge off so there are no live wires. I directly connected it to the wires coming from the little Norcold fridge fan at the bottom of the fridge so when that fan turned on, the Titan fan turned on. I did not use the fan control that came wired with it, only used the black and red wires.

Attachments

• Norcold fridge DC Cooling Fan.jpg
    Norcold fridge DC Cooling Fan.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 3

Scott

Yes, I purchased them on Amazon https://a.co/d/aSO52A9 and they did come with the brackets. Search for RV+fridge+fan+outside, it is made by Titan. You want one that is IP55 (weather resistant). You will only be dealing with 12v DC so no real danger and you simply turn the fridge off so there are no live wires. I directly connected it to the wires coming from the little Norcold fridge fan at the bottom of the fridge so when that fan turned on, the Titan fan turned on. I did not use the fan control that came wired with it, only used the black and red wires.
Thank you. This will ease my mind.