• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

New Valor, No main room power - TV, Microwave, Fridge, a/c's or fireplace

fragile

Please help... We have a trip coming up soon and we just got this new Valor home and these are not working. They worked at the dealer when we did the walk through when it was hooked up to shore power. Now, at home, we are using the generator but none of them work. I've checked the fuses, breakers, outlet resets. I also checked everything around the generator and nothing appears to be tripped either. What could I be missing? The lights all work in the RV and the two other TV's in the garage and master bedroom. It's the 12v big items in the main room only.

Focker

Please help... We have a trip coming up soon and we just got this new Valor home and these are not working. They worked at the dealer when we did the walk through when it was hooked up to shore power. Now, at home, we are using the generator but none of them work. I've checked the fuses, breakers, outlet resets. I also checked everything around the generator and nothing appears to be tripped either. What could I be missing? The lights all work in the RV and the two other TV's in the garage and master bedroom. It's the 12v big items in the main room only.
I am confused by you saying the "12V big items in the main room only". Are you saying 12V items are or aren't working in the main room? To clarify, the TV, microwave, AC and Fireplace are 120V. The fridge is 12V.
If no 120V items are working using the generator but they work on shore power than you need to check the breakers on your generator and your transfer switch.

fragile

Sorry, new to these big fancy RV's. I've checked all breakers in the RV. None of them were tripped. I still rest them anyway just to make sure. I pulled all fuses to check as well, and they are all fine. I did the same on the generator. Nothing was tripped either. What could I be missing here?

BryanValRox

Hello, sorry to hear your having this issue.
As I understand your issue, things outlined in your original post work on shore power, but not the genset.
Your latest post indicated you followed Focker’s advise without resolution.
If you are comfortable working with electricity, it sounds like it is time to get a meter out and do some basic checks.
Ausmeing genset starts and runs, is it outputting voltage? The ac would leave the genset, likely tie into a Junction box near by and proceed to the transfer switch.
In case your not familiar the transfer switch is the traffic cop that controls the path of the electric. Both the shore power cable and the genset output hook to it. It controls the path either allowing it to pass thru from shore or genset to your breaker panel to feed your ac circuits.
It also determines which source is dominate.
If it were me, I would recheck my genset to ensure all breakers or fuses are not blown for some reason.
Than validate genset output with a meter at the genset. Move down the line to the junction box, revalidate both legs, proceed to the transfer switch and repeat validation. Then confirm that the switch is actually functioning(changing paths).
My gut is telling me the following
1. You have no genset output due to a tripped breaker or a-blown internal fuse on an internal circuit at the genset itself.
2. You have a bad connection or connections at the junction box
3. You have a bad connection or connections at the transfer switch
4. You have a transfer switch that isn’t working to change the path to the breaker panel.

If you are not comfortable working with 120v electrical circuits, it would be best to not investigate this yourself and call in a pro.
Hope this helps!

Focker

We still don't know if this issue is a 12V, 120V or both. We need more information...

fragile

Sorry for the delay folks. I am just waiting for my 50 amp to 15 amp 110 adapter to plug in to the garage. The RV plug that came with the Valor isn't long enough to reach the garage and don't want to move this big bugger around again :LOL:. Once I get that, I plug in and try it out to see if the 120v kitchen stuff works.

Thanks for the help everyone. This might be heading back to the dealer for a service call...

fragile

Update: My adapter cord finally arrived, and I got this plugged in. Sure enough, everything is working with shore power. Ran it back to the dealer for them to look at. Turns out it is a defective transfer switch. Not sure how long it will take for Alliance to do a warranty repair on this brand new unit. Very frustrating. You would thing they would check these things before they roll them out...

Focker

Thank you for updating us, that makes sense. If the dealer is going to take too long to replace the transfer switch, I am sure Alliance would ship you the transfer switch and you could do it yourself in about 20 - 30 minutes tops.

Bozo

Sounds like I need to try the genny out….the one thing I haven’t done yet. I would have preferred a lpg unit, like my last unit. Listening alliance?

fragile

Thank you for updating us, that makes sense. If the dealer is going to take too long to replace the transfer switch, I am sure Alliance would ship you the transfer switch and you could do it yourself in about 20 - 30 minutes tops.
I considered that but I don't want to get in over my head and make a mistake. It's probably best to just let the more experienced people deal with it.

fragile

You sure the TS is bad? Could likely be as simple as a loose connection.
I am not absolutely sure. I can only report on what my findings were on this situation based on my primitive method of deductive problem solving. The dealer's tech said it was defective and sent in the warranty into Alliance. Now, we are just waiting on Alliance to get the new TS and get it to the dealer so it can be replaced. Hopefully this doesn't ruin our trip that is scheduled for mid April.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I am not absolutely sure. I can only report on what my findings were on this situation based on my primitive method of deductive problem solving. The dealer's tech said it was defective and sent in the warranty into Alliance. Now, we are just waiting on Alliance to get the new TS and get it to the dealer so it can be replaced. Hopefully this doesn't ruin our trip that is scheduled for mid April.
Have you VIN....call Alliance support and VERIFY the dealer has actaully ordered the part. There are many stories of dealers saying they have ordered the part, but in fact they did not.

BryanValRox

I got the Valor back last week, it was the transfer switch. Did a shake down trip for a couple days and everything is working as it should now (y). Thanks everyone for your help.
Thank you for following back up with the solution.
I had a feeling the transfer switch was bad!
Glad to hear you had a successful shake down trip!