• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

New to Fifth Wheeling:

AMW

what’s better the Red Buckets or the orange blocks for under the leveling struts?

also, why do people stack them so high?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure but I don't think those orange 'lego' blocks can hold the weight. The red buckets are pretty expensive for what you get (IMHO of course).

I made my own block from 2x6's, that are glued together with a nylon handle. Works for us.

1713952950654.png

Lantley

I used to use blocks religiously on my prior camper. It had a 4 point electric, auto leveling system.
However on my 2022 390MP I don't use blocks. The trailer initiates the leveling sequence by lowering the nose /front of the trailer.
I feel the blocks will artificially keep the front from lowering as much as possible. By not allowing the front to go all the way down the trailer ultimately levels itself at a point higher then required.
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel using blocks with my 6 point leveling system is counter productive and defeats the purpose of auto leveling.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I used to use blocks religiously on my prior camper. It had a 4 point electric, auto leveling system.
However on my 2022 390MP I don't use blocks. The trailer initiates the leveling sequence by lowering the nose /front of the trailer.
I feel the blocks will artificially keep the front from lowering as much as possible. By not allowing the front to go all the way down the trailer ultimately levels itself at a point higher then required.
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel using blocks with my 6 point leveling system is counter productive and defeats the purpose of auto leveling.
I only use mine if the site isn't level and the front of the RV is lower then the rear. This allows the front jack to still have a small stroke and (in my mind) keep the RV a bit more stable.

Lantley

I agree with the above. I have only been on a few trips so far and have not needed any blocks.
I'm sure at some point I will encounter a site that will require blocks.
My overall piont is blocks were the rule with my old rig. I used them at most every site no matter what.
Not using them was the exception.
However with the 390MP using blocks has become the exception and not using them is the general method/rule

BryanValRox

I only use mine if the site isn't level and the front of the RV is lower then the rear. This allows the front jack to still have a small stroke and (in my mind) keep the RV a bit more stable.
I would agree with Jim, I feel the main benefit is to use them when sites are unlevel. They might be needed to ensure you can lift off your hitch in gooseball applications.(fithwheels as well with bad grades)
One of the main purposes as you likely know would be to “make up the difference in grade” while still having the range of your jack cylinder available to you for adjustment.
The shorter you keep your jacks results in more stability.
Use or not, it really come down to a game day and personal decision.
As far as affecting the leveling system, level is level regardless of the foundation it is based on, so as long as the nose has the ability to retract to reach level after unhooking, it shouldn’t impact the leveling system.

Bozo

I also made my own with 2x8’s. You need a flat hard(not gravel) for anderson blocks. They do not hold up on gravel sites. I use blocks on unlevel Sites.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
In my experience, I generally use nothing. In times where I have a low corner or side, I might use some of my old Hoss Pads. They're 1" thick, 12" square rubber pads.

In my earliest days of camping, I'd use the stackable yellow plastic blocks. These come in orange now too. NOT a fan. They jam up with rock and dirt easily and they can break under the weight of a heavy RV. I broke a lot of them. I don't own any now. Same for wheel chocks. I find the yellow plastic ones to be near useless. Love the big heavy rubber ones though.

Reactions: AMW

DanNJanice

I use the orange blocks all the time. In fact I would never be without them. We are not "parking lot" camping people, so we are almost always in places that may not be level. Further, if you have a flat tire on the road (and you will) building a stack of orange blocks and driving one wheel on them is fast and safe way to change the tire.

Lantley

Well I think I spoke too soon on not needing blocks. Ended up on a site that was sloped. Rear of site was higher than front of site. I had to re hitch and put blocks under front jack legs otherwise I got out of stroke error message. 6x6 block did the trick.
For block I use 6x6 scrap pieces. No need to nail anything together.
Blocks are a necessary evil. But I learned long ago not to travel with a lumberyard worth of blocks. Too many large cumbersome blocks just use up valuable storage space

UFF

This is what I use. I normally always use two on the front and I use the others depending on how sloped / angled the site is. They also came in handy when I had to fix a slide ski, stacked them up and use my hydraulic jack out of the truck.

IMG_5207.jpeg

John G

I have used the red buckets for a year. The two reasons are leveling and raising it high enough to disengage from my truck. They are easy to store, I just throw them in the bed of the truck.

Attachments

• 3287.jpeg
    3287.jpeg
    954.6 KB · Views: 7

AMW

I would agree with Jim, I feel the main benefit is to use them when sites are unlevel. They might be needed to ensure you can lift off your hitch in gooseball applications.(fithwheels as well with bad grades)
One of the main purposes as you likely know would be to “make up the difference in grade” while still having the range of your jack cylinder available to you for adjustment.
The shorter you keep your jacks results in more stability.
Use or not, it really come down to a game day and personal decision.
As far as affecting the leveling system, level is level regardless of the foundation it is based on, so as long as the nose has the ability to retract to reach level after unhooking, it shouldn’t impact the leveling system.
Thanks, that made a lot of sense to me. I learned Something.

AMW

In my experience, I generally use nothing. In times where I have a low corner or side, I might use some of my old Hoss Pads. They're 1" thick, 12" square rubber pads.

In my earliest days of camping, I'd use the stackable yellow plastic blocks. These come in orange now too. NOT a fan. They jam up with rock and dirt easily and they can break under the weight of a heavy RV. I broke a lot of them. I don't own any now. Same for wheel chocks. I find the yellow plastic ones to be near useless. Love the big heavy rubber ones though.
Thanks Joe! Also thanks for moving my post, I got a lot more comments and insights. It’s always challenging to me to know where to post?