• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

New to 5th wheels, learning what I can

justdee

Hey everyone, my wife and I are looking at 5th wheels. We had a 26 ft pull behind and want something bigger. We prefer state parks, have only been to some here in Texas, so we thought we'd be best to keep it around 35 ft in total length. We had pretty much decided that the Brinkley Z3100 was going to be our selection but now, after the recent RV show in Dallas, we've started looking into the Alliance 310RL. We went and visited the dealer here in town and he showed us the 370FB. Wow, what a great floorplan. We are now leaning towards the 370FB. A couple of questions for you veteran road warriors.
1. Living in Texas, our summers can be brutally hot. How well will the three A/C units do in the Texas heat?
2. We actually prefer to camp in the winter, less crowds, cooler weather, less bugs, etc. We want the trailer to be a four season trailer and we believe the Alliance models fit that bill. Any winter issues, barring a blizzard or freak ice storm, with keeping the tanks and lines from freezing?
3. Having mentioned the hot and cold, we are considering having the the double pane windows installed at the factory. Thoughts?
4. The Brinkley has some nice touches that the Alliance doesn't have, and the Alliance has some features that the Brinkley is missing. For example.
1. Brinkley has an electronic control panel, trash can storage, spice rack, moveable table with utensil storage underneath, keyless entry, doggy screen on the door, sunshade on the door, rear storage area, steps that rotate to get the dirt off before lifting, televator TV, tankless water heater, 9" memory foam mattress, rear camera included.​
2. Alliance has six jack stands vs Brinkley's four, the leveling controls on the outside allowing you to see the rear of your truck and hitch, windows that open next too and above the headboard, padded headboard, 320 watt solar, better visibility with the larger windows, three A/C's versus two (although the Brinkley has a new ductless 18,500 A/C unit in the main area), dirty clothes hamper in the 370FB, bigger refrigerator.​
5. 40' versus 35' - any issues getting into state parks? Pulling advice for the two.
6. Haven't upgraded our truck yet. Some say a 3/4 ton is more than enough, others say go with a 1 ton. Diesel or gas.
I realize not every trailer will have every option we want, so we know there are features on one that we won't get on the other, we'd just like some feedback from experienced RV'ers.
We will not be full time users, but as we are now both retired, we will use it as much as we can throughout the year.
Right now, YouTube has been my friend on all things related to RV's, but I'll gladly take any helpful advice I can get. There's so many extras also; water filters, slide toppers, axle upgrades, disc vs drum, air pressure monitors, etc.

dee

Last edited:
Reactions: DJA

darrell

I can help with some of your concerns, but know that my information is coming from owning a 2021 390MP.

1. The ACs performed very well and we prefer the ductless install from the Alliance to the ducted install in our SOB. The ductless are noisier but cool better imo.

2. Alliance Paradigm is not a 4-season trailer per certification. That said, if you are not going to Canada, it should have heated holding tanks and if you run the furnace it will keep your basement reasonably warm. You should plan on a heated hose at the least if you are camping in cold weather where you plan to hook up to a water source. I would take the same precautions you might take in a house with poor insulation. Keep cabinets under sinks open, leave water dripping if you need to (watch your holding tanks), and maybe use some space heaters if it is really cold. Just make sure you are using your furnace itself to keep the basement warmer. If you will be at a site in the cold for a week or more, you might consider skirting, it helps a ton, but is a pain to setup and take down weekly.

3. I will not have a trailer without DP windows again. So much quieter.

4. I really can't help you here. I would focus on things you cannot address as differences and determine what you actually feel is important vs niceties.

5. This will be noticeable, 5' of extra length could impact your selection of campsites.

6. I drive a Ram 3500 drw. That is all i will say.

Bozo

Planning definitely required for the bigger units. I drive a dually as well….i just treat it like my trucking days.

justdee

Darrell, I appreciate the input. Thanks,
I guess my idea of what we'd call 'cold weather' camping is temps into the 20's at night, so not a winter in North Dakota. :)
I'm hoping Alliance goes to the newer A/C unit that Lippert is promoting.

The duel pane windows are worth the costs and I'd love to get the independent suspension, but that's a pricey upgrade.

There's a lot to consider and take into account, but we are not in a hurry.

Thanks again

darrell

Ok, so 20s is pretty easy then. Just heated water hose if you are places that still allow water below freezing. My SOB unit has 2 heat pumps on it as well as a fireplace to help with heat, and we use an oil filled space heater. We don't even use the furnace until it is below about 30 degrees. I have morryde independent suspension on my current trailer and I REALLY like it. It is pricey for sure, but man it is nice riding. I also have airbags on my truck to help with leveling the truck with the 4600# pin weight, sliding hitch, and aux diesel tank (60 gallon). I might not need the bags on mine, but it came from the dealer leveled, so it sags more than I like without them.

I am not sure of the particulars on the new lippert ac, but i know another brand used Truma units and there were a lot of reported issues. If they are the same unit you might be aware of that.

RockDr896

I pull my 370FB with a F350SD dually with a hitch rated at 33.000lbs. I have camped in the 20's and it was no problem. I filled my fresh water tanks and turned on the tank heaters, which come stock. I unhook my fresh water hose and use the fresh water tank for flushing or anything else at night. It is a 43' trailer and I think that would exclude you from camping on many National forest locations. Not to mention your height and knowing whether you will beat up the trailer getting in and out. I plan to camp just outside those places, when we get around to visiting them. I hope this helps!

justdee

I pull my 370FB with a F350SD dually with a hitch rated at 33.000lbs. I have camped in the 20's and it was no problem. I filled my fresh water tanks and turned on the tank heaters, which come stock. I unhook my fresh water hose and use the fresh water tank for flushing or anything else at night. It is a 43' trailer and I think that would exclude you from camping on many National forest locations. Not to mention your height and knowing whether you will beat up the trailer getting in and out. I plan to camp just outside those places, when we get around to visiting them. I hope this helps!
Thanks RockDr896.
Question though, forgive my ignorance, but you state that your 370FB is 43'? The specs, and the local dealer, state it is 40' 4" total length. Most people tell us that to get into a park, you state the first number, in this case the 37, so that's how the parks look at the length since the rest is over the bed.
We certainly don't want to run into issues.

dee

Bozo

Is this really true about the first number? Inquiring minds want to know. I’ve heard of places wanting to know total length, as well. I just figure that I’m driving a semi around when looking for spots. That said, my trailer is a foot longer than literature. Door tag is the correct length.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Question though, forgive my ignorance, but you state that your 370FB is 43'? The specs, and the local dealer, state it is 40' 4" total length.
I drove from Oregon to Iowa and bought an RV (not Alliance) that had all the specs at 41 feet. Got it home and it almost didn't fit in our barn. Turns out it was just over 45 feet....sold it a week later!! NEVER trust what you read online or in borchures....check the door sticker AND bring a tape measure.

justdee

I will be checking the door tags from now on. ;)
We love the layout of the 370FB, but we're still considering the 310RL and the Brinkley Z3100, which are the same floor plan, just different in features.
Also looking at trucks. I was considering a Chevy/GMC with diesel in 3/4 ton, but you hear some say just to go ahead and get the 1 ton. We will be going 'used' as the sticker price of $80K plus is beyond what we want to pay.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
The 370FB is a really nice RV. We might have went that route, but I am sure it is closer to 43 feet than the listed 40 feet. :rolleyes:

We went with the 340RL, as we loved the stairs on the other side and it gave us a big bathroom (while not as big at the 370FB) over the 310RL.

1710455241585.png

exps01

We just bought a 2024 310RL. We were looking at the Brinkley as well. We walked through almost every 5th wheel at this year's FL RV Supershow and we just kept coming back to the Alliance. Most of the options you mentioned for the Brinkley are things you can buy aftermarket or add-on for the Alliance if you really want it. I know the door window is shade ready and I bought one for less than $100 from Lippert. I'm looked at the keyless entry door handle now which will be around $200. We got a replacement mattress, and there's a lot of options depending on what you want from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. It certainly can add up, but I think that's all in what your budget or how you space stuff out is.

I'll say the leveling control being on the outside up front is awesome. The window views are really great and I thought better than a lot of RVs. We didn't get the dual pane though. When I had all 3 AC units on, it got chilly in there (I'm in FL). I can't speak to a full hot summer, but I think the fact they direct dump into the interior and it doesn't have much of a duct system save for the bathroom helps get that cold air in there.

I have a GMC 3500HD DRW with diesel. It tows fantastic and getting the 1 ton really ups the payload capacity versus a 3/4 ton. Gotta remember all that stuff!

I think they were both nice and either would be great, but I know we really love the Alliance we got.

Bozo

I drove from Oregon to Iowa and bought an RV (not Alliance) that had all the specs at 41 feet. Got it home and it almost didn't fit in our barn. Turns out it was just over 45 feet....sold it a week later!! NEVER trust what you read online or in borchures....check the door sticker AND bring a tape measure.
Kinda like a valor 40v13. It’s 45’8”
We just bought a 2024 310RL. We were looking at the Brinkley as well. We walked through almost every 5th wheel at this year's FL RV Supershow and we just kept coming back to the Alliance. Most of the options you mentioned for the Brinkley are things you can buy aftermarket or add-on for the Alliance if you really want it. I know the door window is shade ready and I bought one for less than $100 from Lippert. I'm looked at the keyless entry door handle now which will be around $200. We got a replacement mattress, and there's a lot of options depending on what you want from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. It certainly can add up, but I think that's all in what your budget or how you space stuff out is.

I'll say the leveling control being on the outside up front is awesome. The window views are really great and I thought better than a lot of RVs. We didn't get the dual pane though. When I had all 3 AC units on, it got chilly in there (I'm in FL). I can't speak to a full hot summer, but I think the fact they direct dump into the interior and it doesn't have much of a duct system save for the bathroom helps get that cold air in there.

I have a GMC 3500HD DRW with diesel. It tows fantastic and getting the 1 ton really ups the payload capacity versus a 3/4 ton. Gotta remember all that stuff!

I think they were both nice and either would be great, but I know we really love the Alliance we got.
keyless door locks are nice, but I haven’t found any that fit right on my glass doors yet. Tried 2 sets so far. Wife may have to live with standard locks.

RockDr896

Thanks RockDr896.
Question though, forgive my ignorance, but you state that your 370FB is 43'? The specs, and the local dealer, state it is 40' 4" total length. Most people tell us that to get into a park, you state the first number, in this case the 37, so that's how the parks look at the length since the rest is over the bed.
We certainly don't want to run into issues.

dee
You are right on the length. I also live on a lake and fish a lot. You should here those stories...LOL. I have taken my RV to a few State parks and the trees, narrow roads, and a 350 dually with limited steering can be a challenge to the driver if it is a back in space. That is good to know about how they view the trailer length. Good info to keep in mind.

RockDr896

If you do go the 370FB route, here is how much more cargo you can carry if you do the 8,000lb axels. I also have the disk brakes.

Attachments

• 1710499339992.jpeg
    1710499339992.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1710499575514.jpeg
    1710499575514.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 5

justdee

Wow, a lot of great input.
I'll start by saying that my wife and I took a day trip up to Cooper Lake State Park here in Texas this morning, just to look around and get out of the house.
A very nice park, as all of the Texas parks are that we have visited.
I asked the ladies at the check in-station about the length of trailers allowed and what the rules are. Bottom line, they don't care. They don't go out and measure or inspect the rigs at all. If it fits, it's all good.
Now, having said that, a lot of their concrete pads are very short, are on an incline to some degree, and may have some low hanging limbs over the pad, so they may let you in with a 40' plus trailer, but it may not fit onto the majority of the pads.
After todays trip, I think we are leaning back towards the Brinkley Z3100 or the Alliance 310RL. Truck wise, I'm pretty sure we will be going with the 1 ton, non-dually, with diesel. Chevy or GMC, with the bells and whistles, but used, probably a 2022 year model.

Great information posted and I sure appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

dee

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
.....Truck wise, I'm pretty sure we will be going with the 1 ton, non-dually, with diesel. Chevy or GMC, with the bells and whistles, but used, probably a 2022 year model.
Might take the 20 mins to watch this video. The couple in the video are also Alliance "Ambassadors" (y)

justdee

Very good video. I've watched a lot of their videos and have kept up with the improvements they've made to their RV.
They replaced the slide toppers with the True Toppers. They upgraded to the independent suspension with disc brakes and the dual pane windows, which I really want.
They also hade the truck and trailer coated, so their sponsors and endorsement deals are a real benefit to them when it comes to these upgrades.

One thing I haven't asked on here. I see on the Brinkley Z3100, it only has four vertical jacks. The Alliance has six. I would think that the six would be a lot more stable. Seems like a no brainer that the six is better than the four.