• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

New Paradigm 340RL

Dan54

New member here as we are new to Alliance ownership. Our first fifth wheel, which we still own, is a Heartland Landmark, which we love. Many of the components in it have been obsoleted however & replacement parts are not available, most notably the level up system & the collapsable rooftop dish antenna. Therefore we decided to relegate it to campground only duty at our Ohio River campground.
We recently purchased the 340RL & we are having the dealer install some options. We plan to pick it up in April & take it on a shakedown trip soon after. My first question is concerning the Wi-Fi router. It looks like the Osprey WR-0S12 is an improvement over the Winegard Gateway GW-1000. Have any of you purchased either of these & what can you tell me about your experience? Ease of installation, use & quality of reception, etc Thanks!

Last edited:

Hotrodjohn

I used a peplink router and a netgear gateway and a Poynt roof antenna. I didn’t tap into the winegard originally but kinda sucked. 2023 340

Dan54

I ended up going with the Osprey router. We are now on our shakedown trip From Ohio to Florida. Mixed results with the Osprey router. My frustrations are compounded with the piece of crap Insignia tvs they put in these trailers. The user interface with these tvs is for s—t. Anyway on to my experience with the Osprey. There are three ways of getting to the internet via the router. First if you have your phones hotspot on the router can scan for available Wi-Fi, find your hotspot & you use the phone’s internet. The router broadcasts its own Wi-Fi signal which you can link to let your tv, etc have internet access. Trouble with this method is very often the scan picks up my phones hotspot then two minutes later it drops the connection. When I look at the scan results my phone no longer even appears & when I manually initiate a rescan my phone doesn’t show up either. Second method is you can plug your phone into the usb port on the router. This connection is more reliable but your phone is always occupied with this function. Since the router is in the ceiling & the phone is plugged in there is no convenient place for the phone to sit because even a 10 foot cable gets in the way, hanging down, etc. The third way is installing a sim chip in the router for dedicated data access to the internet. This connection is very intermittent as well. Very frustrating to put the iPad down for a few minutes, come back & find the connection has been lost. Compounded with the fact that when connection is restored the tv doesn’t recognize it automatically & you have to spend 5-10 minutes restoring it’s connection. Obviously I’ll learn more with time, rereading the manual & calling the help line (I hope) but right now if I had to do it over again I wouldn’t.