• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

New Delta 251BH Purchase Pending

ChuckNOS

Signed a purchase agreement today, subject to independent inspection. Our first RV since a pop-up in the 90s. we chose the alliance over a Grand Design XLS 35DBE based on an apparently more robust frame, 50 amp electrical and the fact I got spooked way from Grand Design based on all the YouTube videos featuring frame failures. I will be towing using a 2023 Ford Expedition XLT Max equipped with HD tow package and a B&W WDH.

daemonic3

Seems the trendy "frame flex" issues are all related to 5th wheels, and is different than A-frame front end on travel trailers, which can fail in a different way than is all the rage currently. Also Grand Design doesn't make the frames so I don't think it is specific to them, but the very vocal people on socials happen to have GD 5ers.

That being said, welcome to the Delta family! We had 2 previous Imagines and loved them and can't wait to enjoy our Delta for many years to come.

ChuckNOS

While 5th wheel "frame flex" issues predominate, there are enough A-frame failure videos to give pause. Especially as a WDH is needed. In the end, the front A-frame builds on the Alliance are apparently much more robust. Damn it Jim (if that's your real name!!), I'm a Juris Doctor, not an engineer, but, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. The 1st photo is from the Imagine XLS 25DBE, The other two are from the Delta 251BH. IMG_8483.jpegIMG_8489.jpegIMG_8490.jpeg

daemonic3

Fair enough! Definite difference in those images.

Interesting you mention A-frame failures and WDH usage, and are using a B&W. I can't for the life of me figure out how that thing works in practice, and I'm an engineer! I totally get the pressure applied by traditional long spring arms to create a moment at the hitch of the truck pushing down the front tires and the trailer axles. And the length of the spring arms helps multiply that force without putting so much pressure in a single point on the A-frame. The B&W has such short spring arms it looks like it has to crush the tip of the A-frame! I'm sure B&W did all the studies but it is so hard to look at and not feel like its absolutely applying so much force on the A-frame with such short spring arms.

Then also I can't figure out the sway prevention on it! I understand the friction of traditional hitches, and the pivot point projection of hensley/propride, but cannot figure out how B&W does it with a single pivot point and tiny spring arms!

Again, I'm sure B&W did the analysis and testing in that lab of theirs but its so mind-boggling to look at. You'll have to report back in a year how you are liking it versus traditional ones (if you've used them before)!

ChuckNOS

Frankly all the WDHs I researched seemed like one is just basking the A-frame to do too much, Hence my ADH like concern for the A-frame build. the B&W works like the others with leverage against the A-frame, but the arms seem to have less leverage because of the shorter throw. I picked the B&W because it is loaded and unloaded via a hydralic pump rather than chain tension.

Beware over-researching on the internet, but I found several examples of folks getting hurt loading/unloading the other types of WDH if there is a momentary lapse of attention. I'm not interested in having an avoidable accident.

Speaking to the B&H rep in Tampa, he said that anti-sway is accomplished by a rubber bushing compressed in the pivot point. He said it will wear out eventually and need servicing. Hopefully the 'net prove right and the B&H is a very good middle ground between the lower cost conventional WDH and the higher end ones costing almost 3 times as much (and are a bit more complicated to set up).