• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

New breakaway cable installation

Valkyrie

I purchased one of the red coiled wire breakaway cables. To install, do I need to disconnect the ground wire from the battery first or can I just swap the cables out without disconnecting the battery?

CornCrib

I purchased one of the red coiled wire breakaway cables. To install, do I need to disconnect the ground wire from the battery first or can I just swap the cables out without disconnecting the battery?
We ordered this Cable Only , there was no need to risk activating the breakaway function by pulling the mechanism. We were able to detach the old cable and reattach the new.

I've read that you should not engage the breakaway unnecessarily, as it could engage and not unengage. I've also read you should do it at least yearly to insure it is functioning .... so, dealer's choice, I guess.

Gord&Cindy

When I took the test to get my upgraded driver's license, part of the test was to do the pre-trip inspection and part of that inspection is to test the breakaway switch. To do that you just pull the plunger out and the trailer breaks go on. Having said that the thing was a real pain to get back into the switch so, to be honest, I don't do that on most of my pre-trip inspections anymore.

I believe pulling the plug with the battery attached should not hurt anything, especially for the short time you need to replace the plunger. if it does cause problems it's probably better to discover the problems now instead of on the road in an emergency.