• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

New 42v13 - one gray water tank not draining

Kristin T

Just got our 42v13 a couple of weeks ago so this is the first time I've drained our GW tanks. Tank 2 drained fine. When I pulled the lever for tank 1 a little water drained out, then nothing. Tank 1 still reads 2/3 full. (Tank 2 reads empty now.) Could it be clogged? If so, can I use regular household declogger (e.g., draino)? Any other troubleshooting tips?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
If you don't have one of these twist on valves...you should. Will stop you from getting leaks when you take the cap off. Now, with the extra valve, you can keep it closed but open both grey tanks...the full tank will equalize into the other, pushing anything that might be blocking it from draining.

1691893080072.png

Whitewolf

I'd get the valve Jim is showing no matter what. I think dealers would get lots of praise if they'd just install one before the sale.

I've heard that sometimes when the hole is cut for the drain line the 'plug' falls into the tank and it doesn't get fished out. Sometimes it works its way out and sometime it doesn't.

Besides a blockage, the cable at the tank may have come loose, but that would mean if you pulled the handle and it came coming. If you have a dead stop, then I'd say blockage.

There's a lot of pressure now behind the blockage and Jim's idea about equalizing the pressure makes a lot of sense.

I've seen those valves at our local Walmart. Might want to try there first if there's not a dealer nearby.

we had a similar problem and found the valves were mismarked. we pulled the one marked gray but it was the black tank which didnt have much yet due to being new.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@Kristin T - I suggest you add water to gray tank 2 and see if the level increases on the monitor panel. If it does, then you know the valve handles are marked right. Then pull it and see what your level is when it stops draining. Maybe try a couple of evolutions of fill/drain to see if anything becomes dislodged.

If not, you have end up having to expose the valve assembly at the tank to make sure the pull wire is actually opening the valve.

If the valve is pulling fully open, then closed, it's time to disassemble the valve body. I suggest getting a kiddie pool and place it under the valve as once you disassemble it, water in the tank will evacuate as well as whatever might be clogging it.

Kristin T

Hi, all, I got the Valterra valve and installed it this morning, opened both gray valves, then opened the Valterra valve, and unfortunately nothing happened - I didn't hear any water movement/flow at all, and nothing came out. If it's helpful to know, I also noticed that, at some point in the last week, I my gray tank readouts changed - tank 1 now reads empty and tank 2 reads full. @Jim Beletti, do I have to open up the valve assembly now? Is there a video for how I do that?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi, all, I got the Valterra valve and installed it this morning, opened both gray valves, then opened the Valterra valve, and unfortunately nothing happened - I didn't hear any water movement/flow at all, and nothing came out. If it's helpful to know, I also noticed that, at some point in the last week, I my gray tank readouts changed - tank 1 now reads empty and tank 2 reads full. @Jim Beletti, do I have to open up the valve assembly now? Is there a video for how I do that?
Kristen - I suggest you reach out to our Customer Service team on this. Email them at service@alliancerv.com.

In the email, please include your name, phone number, the last 6 digits of your VIN, a description of the issue and attached any relevant photos.

As for a video on dis-assembly of the gate valve assembly, I don't have one but pretty sure there are many on Youtube. See what our service team suggests as a next step first.

dhcolesj

ON my 40V13 (2023) the valves are backwards to the labels for the front pair, so the label for the black tank is actually the gray, and so on. I found this out the hard way on my recent journey to Vegas and back in 15 days. :D The crazy thing is that they're labeled correctly for the handles under the slide out (rear tanks). gets confusing after a while. (and the labels are way off from the actual pulls up front as well, which makes for a hunting expedition when you forget.

Also, as a side note I found that the black tank flush connection in the wet bay fills BOTH black tanks (which is handy, since we don't use the garage bathroom, so after flushing the front tank and gray tanks, that remaining black tank is just a clean water flush for the stinky slinky.

talk about a bigger problem, my washing machine drains into the black tank we live full time and laudry is an often event so the blank tank gets flushed alot. doesnt seem right though

Bozo

My main tank valves on the 40v13 are marked correctly, they just don’t close all the way. Almost got a bath the other day on my second trip. Going to add another valve to the dump, something that should be standard.