• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

My truck with 310 RL is 400 pounds over the Axle Weight Rating of 7,000 lbs.

GWGibbs

What are the risks when overweight at rear axle of the truck? all other weight points, front axel and over the axels of the RV are fine. I know safety is the main issue but at what point is the transmission, or other parts of the drivetrain at risk? The truck is not sagging when I have the 5th wheel attached but I know at some point of extra weight there is a safety issue. I have a 2018 Ram 3500 (Tradesman) with 6.7 Liter Cummins diesel engine. Rear end ratio is 3.42. and have the 6 speed automatic transmission. appears to be overweight by about 400lbs at the rear axel when i have my auxiliary fuel tank of 55 gallons completely filled and RV fully loaded and attached. This RV is about 1500 overall pounds heavier than the Grand Design I traded in so I was motivated to go weight it and see where I stood.

Bozo

Are you using a weight distributing hitch? Watch your tires and make sure they are up to the weight. Could always haul a scooter or pair of e-bikes off the front bumper. DOT will look closely at axle weights and tires. Any possibility of moving cargo around in the trailer?

darrell

To me, payload and GVWR are somewhat flexible to a point. Axle weight ratings, wheel/tire weight ratings, and frame limits are not as flexible. I am surprised the truck doesn't sag with that much weight on it. Have you actually had it weighed ready to camp or are you just estimating on paper?

GWGibbs

To me, payload and GVWR are somewhat flexible to a point. Axle weight ratings, wheel/tire weight ratings, and frame limits are not as flexible. I am surprised the truck doesn't sag with that much weight on it. Have you actually had it weighed ready to camp or are you just estimating on paper?
I weighed it last week when we went on a short trip to north Texas. I was about 20 gallons shy of full on my auxiliary fuel tank and so I estimated that weight at 7 lb per gallon So I know the weights now. I have the ability shed some weight and can possibly move some pin weight. I can also manage the amount of fuel I carry which probably weighs more heavily on the back axle than the front. I carry two Champion generators which are probably 45 lb each which I will probably leave behind when I travel as well as some tools and a set of stairs that I may not need now. I still will be hard pressed to get back down to 7,000 lb on the back axle but will be close.

Tire ratings and air pressure are all OK.

GWGibbs

Are you using a weight distributing hitch? Watch your tires and make sure they are up to the weight. Could always haul a scooter or pair of e-bikes off the front bumper. DOT will look closely at axle weights and tires. Any possibility of moving cargo around in the trailer?
I pull a 5th wheel using a BMW Companion Hitch. I haul two ebikes on the back of the RV which weigh about 120 lb. I would think that being on the back of the RV that would not add to the pin weight and since oveall GVWR combined is OK I am thinking that can stay there. I have some weight in the front basement that I could shed, such as two Champion generators probably weighing total 90-100 lb which will preclude us from boondocking but that will be the sacrifice. I think I can come up with about 200 lb that can be shed. Maybe I could leave the wife and dog at home? Better not. I think my tires and pressure are all OK just pin weight over the axle that is the problem.

What are the risks when overweight at rear axle of the truck? all other weight points, front axel and over the axels of the RV are fine. I know safety is the main issue but at what point is the transmission, or other parts of the drivetrain at risk? The truck is not sagging when I have the 5th wheel attached but I know at some point of extra weight there is a safety issue. I have a 2018 Ram 3500 (Tradesman) with 6.7 Liter Cummins diesel engine. Rear end ratio is 3.42. and have the 6 speed automatic transmission. appears to be overweight by about 400lbs at the rear axel when i have my auxiliary fuel tank of 55 gallons completely filled and RV fully loaded and attached. This RV is about 1500 overall pounds heavier than the Grand Design I traded in so I was motivated to go weight it and see where I stood.
We just became an Allie, and we are in Georgetown off 29..... Small world:)

GWGibbs

We just became an Allie, and we are in Georgetown off 29..... Small world:)
We traded in our 2018 Grand Design Reflection on this one. We full-time and travel alot so we hope to pamper it as much as possible to make this one last. We are heading to Elkhart, IN at end of the month to have MoRyde install independent suspension which hopefully will help it ride smoother on these awful highways we encounter across the US. I still need to figure out my weight dilemma! Being retired, I can't afford a new dually truck at the moment. :(