• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Maybe A Alliance Avenue 32 RLS, I Have Concerns

BornBroke

The 32RLS has the residential refrigerator in it. Wife and I do a lot of boon-docking with our rv on some land we own. We now have 2011 Montana Mountaineer with a lp or electric refrigerator. I use two Honda 2000 generators for power.
I am concerned about the residential refrigerator. The Dealers Salesman told me that the 32RLS has a solar panel system that will power the refrigerator when not running the generators. We do not run the generators when we call it a night. Salesman tells me that there is
one solar panel on the roof that will power the frig.
We are going to see the Alliance Avenue 32RLS tomorrow. Is he telling me the truth? I can not afford a bigger solar system for it.

exps01

I'm no expert on electrical, but my understanding is that the residential fridge would require AC power and you'd need an inverter, which isn't standard. I'd think even with the inverter, that'd pull a decent amount of amps and would drain the battery down quickly. That will depend on what your battery setup is (how many amp hours, lithium vs lead acid, etc).

The single solar panel is also only 320w. Depending on the draw, it won't be able to charge the batteries faster than the fridge pulls power. I'd be pretty doubtful as well.

Maybe someone with a lot more experience/knowledge on electrical can chime in?

Mike in North Wales

I believe they are all 12VDC refrigerators now. If so, it will run directly off your battery(s). They stopped using 110VAC refrigerators a couple years ago. It comes down to your battery capacity.

Turfengineer

When did the 32rls start getting a residential fridge? Mine has the large gas/electric fridge and most others have a large 12v fridge.

CornCrib

I don't know of any 32RLS that ever received a residential fridge, so I'm sure it's a 12v (residential style). A 12v fridge is much more efficient than a residential when operating off grid.

I have a Norcold 12v in my 32rls. Once the fridge is cold (and fridge and freezer gets to temp in under 2 hours) I find I consume about 4.5 amps per hour running. A single LA battery would get you 50 usable amps from evening to morning to utilize total. You can use those numbers to determine how long your battery will get you ... .depending on lots of other factors that only you can answer for yourself ... like:

What kind of battery(s) are you using?
What else are you running on 12v?
Size of solar controller?
How sunny is your camping spot?

Technically, your salesman is not lying, but whether or not he is accurate depends on all those factors above, and more. Investing in lithium batteries will almost assuredly be necessary.

BornBroke

The 32RLS has the residential refrigerator in it. Wife and I do a lot of boon-docking with our rv on some land we own. We now have 2011 Montana Mountaineer with a lp or electric refrigerator. I use two Honda 2000 generators for power.
I am concerned about the residential refrigerator. The Dealers Salesman told me that the 32RLS has a solar panel system that will power the refrigerator when not running the generators. We do not run the generators when we call it a night. Salesman tells me that there is
one solar panel on the roof that will power the frig.
We are going to see the Alliance Avenue 32RLS tomorrow. Is he telling me the truth? I can not afford a bigger solar system for it.
We seen the refrigerator today and it is a 12 volt, but we decided not to buy this rv. It was a used 2022 and it was used. Thanks everybody.